DIY E46 Convertible Top Interior Trim Flap Repair - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-30-2015, 11:15 PM   #81
klixtokw

My Ride: bmw 325 ci
Share info or pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcewant2 View Post
Fixed both sides of my roof in just over an hour - great help and saved me loads. Thanks a million
CAN ONE OF YOU GOOD SAMARITANS THAT HAVE DONE THE JOB SHARE ADDITIONAL INFO OR PIC /CLIPS AND PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED TO SHED MORE LIGHT INTO THIS COMPLEX TASK? i SEE THERE ARE A FEW QUESTIONS STILL LINGERING AND NO ONE HAS ANSWERED. THE DIY IS MAGNIFICENT BUT THE SUGGESTION BY SOMEONE TO TURN INTO A VIDEO IS SUPER! MAYBE SOMEONE CAN ANSWER HOW TO TAKE OUT THE LINER FROM THE WING AND HOW TO GLUE BACK WITH SOME CLEAR PICS AS WE'LL AS THE GLUE USED. ALSO WHAT DOES THAT NYLON LOOP DO? I DON' SEE IT HOLDING ANY PART OF THE STRING, WHY REMOVE ALL THE LOOPS? CAN'T YOU JUST THREAD A NEW STRING? I JUST LOST THE UPPER PIECE OF THE BATWING WHERE THE UPPER STRING ATTACHES, CAN'T I JUST GLUE A PIECE WITH A STRING LOOP ON IT? ANY IDEAS?
klixtokw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:26 PM   #82
klixtokw

Share your eperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynhi757 View Post
thank you, thank you , thank you.... This was the best. I followed your directions and had replaced the strings in under an hour. Your info was very much appreciated.
Wally
glad you did it so quickly. Can you share your experience and give us some pointers;
how to unglue liner from wing
how to best glue back and glue used
string route in words or edited pics
best position of top and repair person
how to check final product and a clear pic of how it looks
worst difficulty experienced and how to best avoid.
Etc
Old 10-30-2015, 11:34 PM   #83
klixtokw

Fixergal please share your experience repairing the batwings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2015, 11:48 PM   #84
klixtokw

What top adjustments are referring to?
Old 10-31-2015, 08:30 AM   #85
TAWBMW

My Ride: 2001 M3 Conv 6 spd
yes - string goes through it.
TAWBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:25 AM   #86
klixtokw

great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangeAgent View Post
Hi, have you considered taking this information and putting into a video for a youtube tutorial? You were so detailed, yet I was becoming confused with the pictures. Don't get me wrong what you put together was awesome, and yes you saved us all a great deal of money, but I'm pretty sure more would benefit from a visual teaching point. Thank you,
It seems a great idea and would give us additional information by seeing how its done.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:02 PM   #87
klixtokw

Hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer66 View Post
I want to add my thanks to Meansartin14 for posting the details on this repair, as well as a couple of hints for others. First, it is certainly true that there is limited room to work with a screwdriver for removing the hooks. I found that this little tool from Eastwood made the job very easy (http://www.eastwood.com/bit-ratchet-...html?reltype=3), It even has the correct torx bit.

Second, in my case, the plastic piece was fine, it was only the string that had broken. I bought 10' of 1/8" black paracord for a couple of bucks on Amazon (this should be it according my Amazon purchase history, but I don't see Black there anymore: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and a couple of 1/8" aluminum crimp-on stops for wire cable. (I had to drill the holes in the stops to 3/16" to get the rope to thread through them.)

So, after removing all of the hooks I reinstalled them and simply ran the new cord around and thru, following the path of the cord from the other side. (In all honesty, I probably couldn't have done it if my wife hadn't been the one 'reading' the path for me.) I crimped the stop on one end (with a knot in the cord for safety) and pulled the other end until it felt as taught as the good side. I crimped and knotted that end and was done. That was about a month ago and so far, everything is working perfectly and holding up just fine. All for about $5! My thanks to Meansartin14 and E46 Fanatics!

Jim
Jim why do you need to remove all the hooks to then re-install? Can you not cut out the old string and then thread the new one?
If the Paracord was only 1/8" diameter why did you have to drill the hole to 3/16" to fit the cord? Thanks for the great posting and sharing.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:19 PM   #88
klixtokw

picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAWBMW View Post
Mission accomplished thanks to this thread! Opens & closes like new. Helps having a sharp 15 year old with good vision and wrenchability to assist.
Congratulations! Could you explain the picture? Are those clips to hold the liner to the wing while gluing? what position is the top for this pic Half up or half down?

Can you post a pic of how it looks once completed and the top open before lid closes? Any other tip you can provide based on your experience.
Great picture, Thanks.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #89
klixtokw

meansartin14,
the pictures showing the issue at hand do not open. Can you post them separately ?
Thanks.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:06 PM   #90
klixtokw

video

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post
Does anyone have a step by step of how to string? Where do I start, where do I loop, and where do I end?
watch this video:

Old 11-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #91
TAWBMW

My Ride: 2001 M3 Conv 6 spd
We had the benefit of the strings on one side were still attached so we were able to follow that as an example. I tried to take a few pics but it is hard to get the entire string and attachment points in one shot. We used fabric adhesive from walmart and the binder clips to hold in place while adhesive set. Helps to have 2 people to do the job. One inside the car and one person outside holding the top steady or moving it around for best access. Also helps to have a magnet on extension handle in case you drop a screw or torq bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1456 (1).jpg
Views:	395
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	616844   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1459.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	616845   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1461 (1).jpg
Views:	375
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	616846   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1462.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	616847  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1458.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	616848  
TAWBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #92
klixtokw

Thanks tawbmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAWBMW View Post
We had the benefit of the strings on one side were still attached so we were able to follow that as an example. I tried to take a few pics but it is hard to get the entire string and attachment points in one shot. We used fabric adhesive from walmart and the binder clips to hold in place while adhesive set. Helps to have 2 people to do the job. One inside the car and one person outside holding the top steady or moving it around for best access. Also helps to have a magnet on extension handle in case you drop a screw or torq bit.

Thanks for the tips and the pics they are very helpful. i'm getting all the info i can to get the nerve to tackle this job, i already did the wire repair at the drivers bend and are now dealing with removing the hydra pump and now this.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #93
whosurpopi

My Ride: 04 325ci convertible
I just followed the directions, and the top string snapped on the passenger side, and the driver side was about to snap when I tried to put the top down. I stopped the top and put it back up. I double and triple checked the routing, and it appears right, so I put the top down again, and this time it looks fine, but when I get all the way into the boot, the new plastic piece didn't go where it was supposed to because of the broken top string.
whosurpopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:47 AM   #94
klixtokw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer66 View Post
I want to add my thanks to Meansartin14 for posting the details on this repair, as well as a couple of hints for others. First, it is certainly true that there is limited room to work with a screwdriver for removing the hooks. I found that this little tool from Eastwood made the job very easy (http://www.eastwood.com/bit-ratchet-...html?reltype=3), It even has the correct torx bit.

Second, in my case, the plastic piece was fine, it was only the string that had broken. I bought 10' of 1/8" black paracord for a couple of bucks on Amazon (this should be it according my Amazon purchase history, but I don't see Black there anymore: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and a couple of 1/8" aluminum crimp-on stops for wire cable. (I had to drill the holes in the stops to 3/16" to get the rope to thread through them.)

So, after removing all of the hooks I reinstalled them and simply ran the new cord around and thru, following the path of the cord from the other side. (In all honesty, I probably couldn't have done it if my wife hadn't been the one 'reading' the path for me.) I crimped the stop on one end (with a knot in the cord for safety) and pulled the other end until it felt as taught as the good side. I crimped and knotted that end and was done. That was about a month ago and so far, everything is working perfectly and holding up just fine. All for about $5! My thanks to Meansartin14 and E46 Fanatics!

Jim
Jim why did you remove all the existing hooks? Why not thread the new cord through them rather than removing and re-installing them.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #95
Amelia

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Finally!

I've been riding around with both flaps broken for a minute. Thank you for putting this DIY guide together, and with pictures no less. I hope my neighbor finds this useful.
Amelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:33 PM   #96
Amelia

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by klixtokw View Post
watch this video:

Is this video on YouTube
Amelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:01 PM   #97
jmgary3

My Ride: 2001 325 ci
Great Success!

Great video! I restrung the passenger side tonight. Thanks!

J.
jmgary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:16 PM   #98
billeldon

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
I need to do the passenger side bat wing. If anyone has that half of the set and would like to sell it, let me know. Otherwise I'll buy the pair, assuming the other will eventually fail as well.
billeldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #99
BryanL62

My Ride: '04 325Ci-Steel Blue
Hi All,
So I recognize this is an old thread but I had to comment on how helpful it was. I've recently purchased my first BMW - an '04 325Ci and when I got it there were a few cosmetic things that needed to be repaired and the driver's side rear headliner was one of them. But for $9,000 and with only 70k miles, I figured how could I go wrong. So I started to research the headliner and first stopped at my local convertible top repair shop who said, "oh we don't work on them German cars, you probably have to replace that whole headliner". UGH! I live in rural Florida - you get that. More research. Quickly, I determined this was a common fault and ordered the parts. More research on how to make the repair and found this string. While I did not follow it precisely, it gave me the confidence to do the repair, so for that I thank you all!

I completed the repair today and it took some patience, but really only took about an hour and a half. I used Locktite Superglue, and per one suggestion picked up a cheap small ratchet set. Worked great. Best of all - really feel I accomplished something! Thanks.
BryanL62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:46 PM   #100
AKT325ci

My Ride: 325ci
Quick Question on Broken Flap

I know this thread is super old, but I just got my 325ci from my dad today with the exact issue. My question is for those of you who have had it broken for a while, were you still able to use the convertible top? My dad wasn't sure, as he hardly let the top down. I'd love to be able to catch the last days of summer with the top down!

All feedback is appreciated!

PS- this is my first bmw and my first day on this forum! So excited to be among other enthusiasts !
AKT325ci is offline   Reply With Quote