DIY E46 Convertible Top Interior Trim Flap Repair - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #61
330ci-vert

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEMANBU View Post
Can anybody identify the exact size of the torx screw that holds the little silver loop to the black frame??? Really trying to avoid paying $68 for the whole kit....
Couldn't you just pull the other side or go to http://www.realoem.com/bmw/ and work it out?
330ci-vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #62
ICEMANBU

My Ride: 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci-vert View Post
Couldn't you just pull the other side or go to http://www.realoem.com/bmw/ and work it out?
Been all over, and I've narrowed it down to part number 54317070381, which is sold only as a kit. Even the dealer parts shops by me couldn't drill down to ID the exact size of the screw. Was hoping guys that have done this would know since they've been there, done that.

As far as removing the oppo side screw to check, that's kind of a last resort for me. I'm trying to avoid bringing Murphy into this by giving him the opportunity to drop that tiny screw and lose that one, too, and then be totally screwed.
ICEMANBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #63
Sloop

My Ride: 2001 330cic
My wings are connected through glue to the inner fabric.
What did you guys do to remove that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 04:59 AM   #64
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: M52TUB28-Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEMANBU View Post
Can anybody identify the exact size of the torx screw that holds the little silver loop to the black frame??? Really trying to avoid paying $68 for the whole kit....
t20
Old 05-23-2014, 05:10 AM   #65
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: M52TUB28-Vert
just a quick question:

during the years i've replaced the oem lower flap tensioner with 2mm nautic spectra ( i'ts eternal compared to bmw polyester, less friction and no damage from it).
i've been lucky because i took the lenght reference from the other side tensioner.

but yesterday i've discovered that the other 2 (the shortest one that pulls the higher part of the flap) were completely damaged and was quite impossible to get the right size of it...

can anyone, please, measure it? the correct tension of those 2 is the most important part to avoid the flap damage

thanks
Old 07-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #66
ChangeAgent

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Hi, have you considered taking this information and putting into a video for a youtube tutorial? You were so detailed, yet I was becoming confused with the pictures. Don't get me wrong what you put together was awesome, and yes you saved us all a great deal of money, but I'm pretty sure more would benefit from a visual teaching point. Thank you,
ChangeAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #67
SuperSleeper

My Ride: 2003 330CIC
Very nice write up! I didn't need the plastic, only the string, and wasn't going to pay $100+ for a short piece of string. So I found 100ft of 550lb tensile strength nylon parachute cord on amazon for $5. It ain't gonna break any time soon , and I had plenty left over for other projects. This cord is amazing.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #68
ventureautosales

My Ride: 01 Bmw 330 ci
where is the bow tensioner sensor on a 2001 bmw 330 ci
ventureautosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #69
jtflorian

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Hey, I know this is an old thread but I am just now going through the procedure. An easier way of removing the nylon loop is with the top all the way up. You can install the flap without going through the loop (don't glue it to the headliner yet) and carefully put the top up completely making sure nothing catches. Pull back the headliner and you have pretty good access to the screw. I used a short torx bit (T-20) with a ratcheting wrench. Unhook loop, pull around the inside string and attach loop. While doing this I noticed I had the upper string on the wrong side of that metal piece. Both sides of mine have been broken and re-strung with only one string so figuring out the correct pattern took a little more effort. This write up was a great help. To answer one other question I saw on here, to get the old glued in flap pieces out, I just took it slow, peeling and helping the fabric loose. It seems like its gonna tear but it came out pretty good.
jtflorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #70
[email protected]

My Ride: 330 CI
Thanks!!!
drpassar@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #71
Maveric

My Ride: 2004 M3
Some vandal sliced my top at the passenger side C-pillar and severed the bottom string but left the flaps undamaged. I plan to just replace the OEM string. I know there's a BMW parts repair kit with just the strings, eyelets and crimps (#54317070381) for around $50, but I plan on just using a string substitute. Any tips on a string only replacement DIY such as string type, string length, recommended knots, hardware, tools, etc.? Thanks!

Last edited by Maveric; 02-05-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #72
Beamer66

My Ride: 2000 323ci
I want to add my thanks to Meansartin14 for posting the details on this repair, as well as a couple of hints for others. First, it is certainly true that there is limited room to work with a screwdriver for removing the hooks. I found that this little tool from Eastwood made the job very easy (http://www.eastwood.com/bit-ratchet-...html?reltype=3), It even has the correct torx bit.

Second, in my case, the plastic piece was fine, it was only the string that had broken. I bought 10' of 1/8" black paracord for a couple of bucks on Amazon (this should be it according my Amazon purchase history, but I don't see Black there anymore: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and a couple of 1/8" aluminum crimp-on stops for wire cable. (I had to drill the holes in the stops to 3/16" to get the rope to thread through them.)

So, after removing all of the hooks I reinstalled them and simply ran the new cord around and thru, following the path of the cord from the other side. (In all honesty, I probably couldn't have done it if my wife hadn't been the one 'reading' the path for me.) I crimped the stop on one end (with a knot in the cord for safety) and pulled the other end until it felt as taught as the good side. I crimped and knotted that end and was done. That was about a month ago and so far, everything is working perfectly and holding up just fine. All for about $5! My thanks to Meansartin14 and E46 Fanatics!

Jim

Last edited by Beamer66; 10-04-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Beamer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #73
mcewant2

My Ride: 330cic
Thanks!

Fixed both sides of my roof in just over an hour - great help and saved me loads. Thanks a million
mcewant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:40 AM   #74
chikoo

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP Cabrio
Does anyone have a step by step of how to string? Where do I start, where do I loop, and where do I end?
chikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #75
the xecutionr

My Ride: Imola M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post
Does anyone have a step by step of how to string? Where do I start, where do I loop, and where do I end?
I just looked at the one i took off. Even if its broke you can see the way the string is routed

THE ONLY THING I FEAR IS FAILURE, AND FAILURE IS NEVER AN OPTION. GO HARD OR GO HOME.
the xecutionr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #76
Beamer66

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Unless both sides are broken, your best bet is to use the other side as a guide. I found it very helpful to have a partner for this, with my wife 'reading' the path and directing me. Baring that, be sure to read the first couple of posts on this thread; they were pretty detailed.
Beamer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #77
chikoo

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP Cabrio
Here is what my broken side looks like. Both ends are intact but something is wrong.

chikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #78
the xecutionr

My Ride: Imola M3 Vert
Compair it to.the new piece and see whats missing or broke

THE ONLY THING I FEAR IS FAILURE, AND FAILURE IS NEVER AN OPTION. GO HARD OR GO HOME.
the xecutionr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:59 PM   #79
TAWBMW

My Ride: 2001 M3 Conv 6 spd
bat wing repair

Mission accomplished thanks to this thread! Opens & closes like new. Helps having a sharp 15 year old with good vision and wrenchability to assist.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BAT WING FIX.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	615525  
TAWBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #80
klixtokw

My Ride: bmw 325 ci
Great DIY' I still don't see the use of the nylon loop? does the string go inside it?
klixtokw is offline   Reply With Quote