quickjack backup / six jack points? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
wfx32

My Ride: AWD
Model: 330XI 08/2004
Transmission: auto
quickjack backup / six jack points?

hello i am just getting started with diy on the e46 (2004-5 330xi) .. and i really like the new bendpak/quickjack 7000slx unit but i would feel more comfortable with some backup.

should i also place a jack stands under the front subframe and/or rear differential cover? i think those are the other two jacking points besides the four jack pads along the frame.

i know the quickjack has a robust locking mechanism, but any other ideas for some backup?

Last edited by wfx32; 02-27-2019 at 06:37 AM. Reason: indicate model
wfx32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
Never get under the car unless itís on either a lift or jack stands. Place the front jack stands under the lower control arms. The rear jack stands should be placed under the lower control arms.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
wfx32

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Never get under the car unless itís on either a lift or jack stands. Place the front jack stands under the lower control arms. The rear jack stands should be placed under the lower control arms.
thanks .. i wonder if that would be the same as the subframe and rear differential bracket.. i have been told those are safe jack points.

i think the quickjack is a pneumatic lift. it's made by bendpak and looks well engineered. the new model is a heaver construction, rated to 7000 pounds, and has locks which take all of the load off of the lift mechanism.

i would be ok with additional jacks as long as i am not working on the subframe or differential or control arms. but maybe a couple of giant blocks of wood or masonry would be a better backup to the lift than the traditional floor jack and jack stands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 12:18 AM   #4
erroberts1

My Ride: '03 ZHP, '05 xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfx32 View Post
thanks .. i wonder if that would be the same as the subframe and rear differential bracket.. i have been told those are safe jack points.

i think the quickjack is a pneumatic lift. it's made by bendpak and looks well engineered. the new model is a heaver construction, rated to 7000 pounds, and has locks which take all of the load off of the lift mechanism.

i would be ok with additional jacks as long as i am not working on the subframe or differential or control arms. but maybe a couple of giant blocks of wood or masonry would be a better backup to the lift than the traditional floor jack and jack stands.

Honestly, Iíve spent a lot of time under my car on a Quickjack 5000 and have given this a lot of thought... nothing else is required.

These are super safe and have a built in failsafe. If the locking arms fail, it is still under hydraulic pressure. If the piston gives out, the locking arms are there.

Also, once you start adding more stuff like jack stands under the car it gets too crowded to work since the quickjack makes the car completely inaccessible from the sides.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
erroberts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:21 AM   #5
wfx32

Quote:
Originally Posted by erroberts1 View Post
Honestly, Iíve spent a lot of time under my car on a Quickjack 5000 and have given this a lot of thought... nothing else is required.

These are super safe and have a built in failsafe. If the locking arms fail, it is still under hydraulic pressure. If the piston gives out, the locking arms are there.

Also, once you start adding more stuff like jack stands under the car it gets too crowded to work since the quickjack makes the car completely inaccessible from the sides.

thank you, i think that is good advice. i hadn't considered that keeping air pressure after lifting would provide a good backup to the stand locks. and you are probably right that a wood block would be getting in my way at every turn.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #6
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3 & ZHP
You should be relieving hydraulic pressure after the quickjack is in the air. I'm more comfortable under them than jack stands regardless personally
Old 03-03-2019, 05:27 PM   #7
erroberts1

My Ride: '03 ZHP, '05 xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
You should be relieving hydraulic pressure after the quickjack is in the air. I'm more comfortable under them than jack stands regardless personally

Yes some. Enough to let it rest on the locking arms, but not much more than that in order to have a failsafe.

erroberts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:06 PM   #8
wfx32

Quote:
Yes some. Enough to let it rest on the locking arms, but not much more than that in order to have a failsafe.
right i want to use the lock stand mechanism as primary. but also keep some pressure so the piston/pressure will serve as backup/secondary.

maybe i would rely on the stands alone without any pressure to hold the car in storage for several months (for example waiting to receive parts), but when i am actually under the car i would want the pressure as backup.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:29 PM   #9
wfx32

for anyone using quickjack .. i suggest using four of these rectangular jack pads (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY4XM93/) on top of the four rubber blocks.

i reviewed this setup with quickjack support today. make sure the metal base of the jack pad is flush with the rubber block .. because metal to metal on the quickjack frame may be able to slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81vffr01fQL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	779273   Click image for larger version

Name:	81mVneEwdBL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	779275   Click image for larger version

Name:	91GKPbV28hL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	779277  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #10
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3 & ZHP
Quote:

I relieve all of it as per the manufacturer's recommendations. The hydraulics are for lifting and lowering only.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #11
wfx32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I relieve all of it as per the manufacturer's recommendations. The hydraulics are for lifting and lowering only.

so that means you are relying on the stand locks alone?

i have confidence in the design and construction of the frames, but i want some backup for the stand locks. i was even thinking of putting a few jack stands in as backup.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #12
wfx32

quickjack backup / six jack points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydaver View Post
I committed a few years ago to a QuickJack, and while spendy, I'm super glad I did. It lifts the car up in far less time, more securely, and higher, than with jackstands. And after the car is up in the air and I'm comfortable that it's secure, I put jackstands underneath anyway; just to catch the car if somehow it slips off the QuickJack.
i was thinking about using jackstands as a backup. but not sure where to place them.

http://www.quickjack.com/why-quickja...the-quickjack/

Last edited by wfx32; 08-18-2019 at 08:34 AM.