M54 Intake Manifold/ Coolant Hard Lines DIY - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #21
key36

My Ride: '02 325ic
Bumping in hopes the OP can re-upload the pictures to Imgur instead of photobucket - they can no longer be viewed.
key36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:01 AM   #22
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
Model: 325i
Transmission: Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by key36 View Post
Bumping in hopes the OP can re-upload the pictures to Imgur instead of photobucket - they can no longer be viewed.
His last post was in 2015. If you do the job, it would be great if you could take some pictures and post.

Sent from my [device_name] using E46Fanatics mobile app
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:27 PM   #23
Ryan4402000

My Ride: 2002 330i
I want to say thank you for the write up. I just completed this job which took about 16ish hours to complete Things I learned from this job as follows:
  • Order CCV plastic pipes because you will probably break them.
  • one pack of medium size black zip ties
  • 1 foot of 3mm vacuum tubing

Tech tips:
1. Be very careful leaning on stuff and prying things as plastic connectors and components etc are very brittle with age.
2. There is no reassembly DIY that I'm aware of so take pictures or have a good memory of the sequence which things were removed. I had to remove parts to install another part because the sequence was wrong.
3. There is one screw retainer that holds on the fuel line. Screw that back in while the intake manifold is upside down and rotated rather then trying to reach behind it when its installed. I skipped this step, oh well.
4. Replace vacuum lines on the back of the intake manifold while its on the bench.
5. Align the lower intake boot hose clamps like this to ease installation. Use a wobbly socket too.
6. Inspect the intake valve ports really well and clean out every speck of crud that may fall in there. Use a shop vac to suck, air compressor, whatever you got.
7. Shop vac out the 2 holes in the block where the hard coolant lines came out of. Leave no bits of broken plastic floating around the cooling system! Clean those holes so well you can eat off them. Make sure no rubber residue is left behind!
8. Clean/inspect your DISA, clean ICV valve while your in there.

Last edited by Ryan4402000; 04-06-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Ryan4402000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:01 AM   #24
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
Model: 325i
Transmission: Auto
Thanks for the addendum

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:37 PM   #25
jamesbice

My Ride: 2001 M3
I keep having leaking issues with my hard coolant lines on my m54
Initial symptom was slow coolant leak with spray over front of inlet manifold and oil filter housing. I replaced the hard coolant pipes - I made sure to pull out the broken plastic from the original pipes and tried to clean the mating surfaces, but did not visualize them or sand them with fine grit. I used rein replacement pipes.
I had a huge leak after the first change - turns out I had ruined one of the o rings, which I only discovered once I pulled the car apart. I then replaced this with a genuine o ring and reinserted. After a few drives, I noticed the same coolant splatter on the inlet manifold and can see a small amount of coolant on the block, so I must be leaking again

Looking for tips
Should I sand down the mating surface
Has anyone had problem with these pipes from rein?
Should I use RTV?

I really donít want to take off the inlet manifold again!!!!

Keen to hear about your experiences and thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
jamesbice is offline   Reply With Quote