Think Twice Before Deciding to Recharge AC Yourself! - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #81
plinknatord
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 80
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
The car has a Pressure Switch that specifically looks for High or Low pressure, and disables the VERY EXPENSIVE COMPRESSOR to provide a failsafe against destruction. If the pressure in the system is too high or too low, the switch is supposed to keep the compressor from killing itself.

Sorry for your loss.
Appreciate the sentiment. I am curious - do you know that for sure, that the E46 has the pressure switch you refer to. Would love to hear from an HVAC tech who knows E46. If true then I must have had (and perhaps still have ???) a defective switch. I would think my indie would have mentioned something like this.
plinknatord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #82
golf_234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 1,772
My Ride: F30 340i M Sport
interesting. yeah i am just going to take it to somebody with the machine. even at that. i am always scared to have people work on my car. any recommendations in santa barbara?
__________________
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:37 PM   #83
carcus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mountain Roads
Posts: 5,567
My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Just a note to people, if you do not want to mess with this stuff.....pay someone. My gauge is a bit different than the one you get with a can. It is pretty accurate. I would not trust a gauge that comes attached to a can. I still say that if you need to recharge it, might be worth taking it to a HVAC guy. I am not anti-DIY...but you can mess things up. And the stop leak stuff can really mess up the system. Now, if you have a AC system on its last leg, an older E46, that leaks, no reason not to DIY. It is pretty easy. If you over fill it...that is all in your hands.
__________________
2006 M5 E60, "Lord Vader" Last real NA M series
German Car Fanatic. Colorado ///M Flight member, BMW CCA member.
carcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #84
plinknatord
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 80
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcus View Post
Just a note to people, if you do not want to mess with this stuff.....pay someone. My gauge is a bit different than the one you get with a can. It is pretty accurate. I would not trust a gauge that comes attached to a can. I still say that if you need to recharge it, might be worth taking it to a HVAC guy. I am not anti-DIY...but you can mess things up. And the stop leak stuff can really mess up the system. Now, if you have a AC system on its last leg, an older E46, that leaks, no reason not to DIY. It is pretty easy. If you over fill it...that is all in your hands.
Yup.
plinknatord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #85
flyinyoursoup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: home
Posts: 1
My Ride: m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Although if anyone were to vidoe this and send it to the EPA they ovver nice rewards for things like this
I am so glad this shiny spot has stopped posting at least. What a waste of time reading about A/C recharge with scare tactics from this clown.
flyinyoursoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #86
Megalocnus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,681
My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinyoursoup View Post
I am so glad this shiny spot has stopped posting at least. What a waste of time reading about A/C recharge with scare tactics from this clown.
His posts really helped a lot of people here. He was one of the most knowledgeable members of the forum and a regional sponsor so his participation was bringing new customers to his independent BMW shop.

It's more than understandable he isn't wasting his time anymore since the average new E46 owner doesn't have the means to maintain his car, and some of them (such as ^) are not worth helping.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 06-17-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:34 PM   #87
loginfailed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 362
My Ride: My buddies 350hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinyoursoup View Post
I am so glad this shiny spot has stopped posting at least. What a waste of time reading about A/C recharge with scare tactics from this clown.
He helped a lot of people. You may not like to read what he posted but it was accurate info.

Good job digging up a thread from 2010 just to talk smack about someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
His posts really helped a lot of people here. He was one of the most knowledgeable members of the forum and a regional sponsor so his participation was bringing new customers to his independent BMW shop.

It's more than understandable he isn't wasting his time anymore since the average new E46 owner doesn't have the means to maintain his car, and some of them (such as ^) are not worth helping.
Precisely.
loginfailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:09 PM   #88
scottjoh
Modded ///Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 3,341
My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Think Twice Before Deciding to Recharge AC Yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
His posts really helped a lot of people here. He was one of the most knowledgeable members of the forum and a regional sponsor so his participation was bringing new customers to his independent BMW shop.

It's more than understandable he isn't wasting his time anymore since the average new E46 owner doesn't have the means to maintain his car, and some of them (such as ^) are not worth helping.

Definitely one of the most knowledge with tons of first hand experience. His posts were great, to the point and dead on. People are always contacting me with general module problems which are actually k-bus problems. I kept jbeurotech's k-bus troubleshooting thread handy for those occasions and have since created a web page on my site to help people with this often misunderstood problem. Thanks Seth!
__________________

Last edited by scottjoh; 06-17-2017 at 09:12 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:12 PM   #89
Geo31
Ironman
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Willis, TX, USA
Posts: 4,469
My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Holy ancient history Batman!
__________________
George Roffe

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life


Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:34 AM   #90
444434
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Seattle, USA
Posts: 112
My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
You guys are getting it twisted.

This is NOT Canada!

This is NOT Europe!

This is NOT even Russia!

This is good ole' SUV driving, Latte sipping USA!

Those strict R134a and R12 laws were pre-Bush era EPA.

When Bush came into office one of things he did which resulted in the BP Crisis now and was reduce the EPA dept to like 3 guys with no idea of what the old laws were because they were magically erased by Bush's fix 'em now worry later capitalist-friendly laws (See under Christie Whitman Resignation) and these 3 guys had absolutely no power to create new regulations or enforce whatever was left of the old laws (see under the Main Causes of the current BP Crisis) nor did they have any idea of what to do in the event of an environmental disaster (see under the lack of emergency response planning and quick action for Hurricane Katrina and the now current BP crisis).

The result of this was that now any kid with $10 in their pocket could go out to Autozone or Walmart and buy a juicy can of r134a and the Pharmaceuticals could legally dump chemicals into your drinking water!

Whiles the rest of the planet signed the Kyoto treaty that agree to limits and standards for curbing global pollution guess which was the only country on the entire planet that did not even as much look at the treaty much less put a hand on it to sign it...you guess it: good ole US of A!

Bush didn't care, and as Americans overall we don't care about the environment or the effects in the future!

As long as it is not in our backyards and we get to drive as many SUVs we can and gas prices and taxes stays low we will vote you into office. Yes sir.


And once as you aren't making daily phone calls to Pakistan Big Brother really don't care what you do with your time, money and chemicals!

Heck if Flavor Flav promised and guaranteed $1 a gallon gas and 50% reduction in taxes and complete deregulation of capitalism and the private business sector guess who your next President of America will be:





So everyone stop whining about how toxic R134a is like it is new news! WAKE UP!
Old post, I know. However, the quoted post above is completely off topic, and displays an appalling amount of pessimism and ignorance. The assertions posted cannot be supported by any facts. Diatribes like this should not be posted here.

Last edited by 444434; 06-18-2017 at 02:45 AM.
444434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:54 AM   #91
Geo31
Ironman
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Willis, TX, USA
Posts: 4,469
My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by protocol1 View Post
Old post, I know. However, the quoted post above is completely off topic, and displays an appalling amount of pessimism and ignorance. The assertions posted cannot be supported by any facts. Diatribes like this should not be posted here.
Agreed. He needs a serious wedgie.
__________________
George Roffe

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life


Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #92
Mango
E46Mango.com
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 28,431
My Ride: Lexus
Didn't really read beyond the thread title and some people not agreeing to take it to a tech? Well years ago I hammered this into the forum I'll say it now and again, as much as I love DIY, A/C is one thing left to a professional unless you have specialized equipment AND training and do things in a responsible manner. Last time I checked it's a pretty serious offense to be venting refrigerant into the atmosphere and something like a $25,000 fine and jail time etc. Dont know if thats the case any more, but it's probably best not to jerk off your a/c system. You'll just create more problems by pumping walmart cans into it and praying you add the right amount. This is assuming you DON'T have a leak--which you probably do if you're looking into doing this to begin with.

Have it dye tested and serviced by a pro. Your wallet, car, and environment will thank you.
__________________
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #93
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA
 
Overboost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 2,806
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Didn't really read beyond the thread title and some people not agreeing to take it to a tech? Well years ago I hammered this into the forum I'll say it now and again, as much as I love DIY, A/C is one thing left to a professional unless you have specialized equipment AND training and do things in a responsible manner. Last time I checked it's a pretty serious offense to be venting refrigerant into the atmosphere and something like a $25,000 fine and jail time etc. Dont know if thats the case any more, but it's probably best not to jerk off your a/c system. You'll just create more problems by pumping walmart cans into it and praying you add the right amount. This is assuming you DON'T have a leak--which you probably do if you're looking into doing this to begin with.

Have it dye tested and serviced by a pro. Your wallet, car, and environment will thank you.
Amen.

My X5 AC went out a couple of months ago and I started with the common diagnosis.

Check compressor clutch-not functioning
Check auxiliary fan-working
Hook up INPA and find fault in compressor clutch.
Shop for replacement clutch-not available
Shop for compressor w/clutch replacement-$400ish
Check with INDY on cost for repairs-$400 for compressor with clutch and $200 labor with recharge and refrigerant.

For $200 is was not worth my effort spending 1/2 day of work under truck replacing compressor and with no means of proper evacuation and recharge once the install was completed, it was a no brainer to just let the INDY do the job properly.
__________________
  • 2002 E46 325i ZPP (2/02 build date) Alpine White exterior/Hell Beige interior
  • 2004 E53 X5 3.0 ZSP (4/04 build date) Jet Black exterior/Sand Beige interior

Digital Competition Systems
The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear


Overboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:32 PM   #94
swordsman11868
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,790
My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
I got away with an Autozone can one summer.

I tried a second summer and overfilled it. Had to have a shop evacuate and refill it.

Nothing really lost though.


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
__________________
I'm just here to change the world.
BMW Wiki: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:47 PM   #95
Mr Podman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: N.A.
Posts: 1,308
My Ride: E46 Coupe
When my E46 was about 4 years old it developed a sort of howling noise that was due to the AC refrigerant being low.

Of course the stealership wanted to replace the AC compressor. I told them just to top up the refrigerant.

Everything was fine for the next two years when the howling started again.

When it did, I topped up the AC with a Wal-Mart can of refrigerant for $9.00.

I did the same thing about every two years until I sold the car at age 16. The AC (with the original compressor) was working just fine when I sold it.



podman
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:54 PM   #96
BKMrSteel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ga
Posts: 1,294
My Ride: 99 328i
My experience with the DIY ac recharge kits is the pressure gauges are inaccurate. I got one once that didn't even work. Sometimes the cost of getting a can from auto zone is the same price a private shop will charge.


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
__________________
<a href=https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1094528 target=_blank>https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1094528
</a>
BKMrSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:36 AM   #97
paraklas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 7,291
My Ride: B30_TS2++
Year: 2001
Transmission: 5-Getrag
I've taken the car for a recharge 2 times since I got it 10 years ago, had around 3/4 of the refrigerant in the system on each check. $50 per visit is not something prohibitive to force me to DIY.
__________________
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #98
Mango
E46Mango.com
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 28,431
My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Amen.

My X5 AC went out a couple of months ago and I started with the common diagnosis.

Check compressor clutch-not functioning
Check auxiliary fan-working
Hook up INPA and find fault in compressor clutch.
Shop for replacement clutch-not available
Shop for compressor w/clutch replacement-$400ish
Check with INDY on cost for repairs-$400 for compressor with clutch and $200 labor with recharge and refrigerant.

For $200 is was not worth my effort spending 1/2 day of work under truck replacing compressor and with no means of proper evacuation and recharge once the install was completed, it was a no brainer to just let the INDY do the job properly.
Splendid! Yeah if anyone does want to do the compressor themselves, they can. it's easy. But have a shop evac the system first. They have the means to recycle the old stuff too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post
I got away with an Autozone can one summer.

I tried a second summer and overfilled it. Had to have a shop evacuate and refill it.

Nothing really lost though.


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
You could get lucky and just so happen to fill enough to have the compressor kick on. But you could also overfill too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMrSteel View Post
My experience with the DIY ac recharge kits is the pressure gauges are inaccurate. I got one once that didn't even work. Sometimes the cost of getting a can from auto zone is the same price a private shop will charge.


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Yep! I used to get my A/C done for $55. Once every two years. evac and refill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
I've taken the car for a recharge 2 times since I got it 10 years ago, had around 3/4 of the refrigerant in the system on each check. $50 per visit is not something prohibitive to force me to DIY.
Yep it's pretty cheap at a lot of places.
__________________
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #99
Spannerhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,290
My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMrSteel View Post
My experience with the DIY ac recharge kits is the pressure gauges are inaccurate. I got one once that didn't even work. Sometimes the cost of getting a can from auto zone is the same price a private shop will charge.
I plot a middle route: I'll buy a can of R134a from Autozone, but I'll borrow their A/C recharge manifold and gauges. MUCH more accurate gauges and ability to slowly meter the refrigerant into the system without overpressurizing anything. And it's free.
__________________

Current: '02 330i/5 '10 Mazda5 '72 240Z
Past BMWs: '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5
Past Other: '85 GSL-SE '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:26 PM   #100
mr_y82
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Poor Arse Appalachia
Posts: 192
My Ride: 01 325xi Sedan
I have asked this elsewhere before, but since we have a thread revival (I am a bit late to the party... First child was born before this revival and we were in the NICU since she was premature and had some problems). Anyway, my AC will work every time from a cold start and sometimes it will work well for an hour long trip or more (haven't really taken it farther since this problem emerged), but sometimes within 15 minutes it will SUDDENLY start blowing very hot air, and continues to do so if the temp is turned all the way down and the condenser is turned off (after it starts blowing hot). Sometimes it happens when cruising at steady speed, sometimes in stop and go, with no pattern that I have noticed... I just had it in for second airbag recall and was told by dealer they just start with evac and recharge and go from there, but it is over $200 there, and from what I have read my issue does not sound like it would be related to the refrigerant level since it is a sudden onset of hot air from all vents (what I have read in the past is a bit rusty, but I was led toward maybe suspecting the heater valve sticking). If you turn the car off and back on the problem subsists, unless the car sits for a while before re-cranking, in which case it works again, at least for a while, and seems to work well (which seems like it might not be the case if it was simply low on refrigerant). I have replaced the FSU with an updated unit because the fan speed used to have demons as well, but this problem did not resolve with that step...

So, anyone have ideas? I may get a quote from an indy shop that works on them, but share the same reservations with some about messing with it myself. Heater valve? Blend door? Temp. sensor? Supernatural phenomenon? What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
It's more than understandable he isn't wasting his time anymore since the average new E46 owner doesn't have the means to maintain his car, and some of them (such as ^) are not worth helping.
Luckily there are still those of us who just continue to love our e46s and think the classic look is hard to beat! Although an e39 540i would still fit the bill and also be able to throw me back in my seat, unlike the 2.5L (esp. paired with AWD).
__________________
H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein B8s, and poly bushings; Valeo SMF & non-SA Clutch, CDV delete, and E60 Shifter w/ ZHP knob; Beisan System VANOS Seals...
Mtech-II Front Bumper (PO got bumped in parking lot!); Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights... Lots of PM!!!

Last edited by mr_y82; 07-22-2017 at 10:30 PM.
mr_y82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.