Aux input for music on HK - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
G-Hots

My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
Aux input for music on HK

I have HK system on my 2003 M3 with the older OEM Nav.
I bought and installed the OEM Aux cable only to find out that it does not work with the OEM Nav that I have.

I am wondering which way I should go about doing an aux input install?

~I remember reading about buying the OEM CD Changer and installing a homemade cable thru it. Is this an option for me?
~Or do I have to go buy an expensive DICE kit to enjoy music thru my iPhone? Where would I install this DICE kit? Do I still need a CD Changer regardless??

I haven't been on the forums for about a year now and kinda forgot a lot of things lol.. Will you fellow forum members enlighten me please?

Thanks guys
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
rwall

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Hots View Post
I have HK system on my 2003 M3 with the older OEM Nav.
I bought and installed the OEM Aux cable only to find out that it does not work with the OEM Nav that I have.

I am wondering which way I should go about doing an aux input install?

~I remember reading about buying the OEM CD Changer and installing a homemade cable thru it. Is this an option for me?
~Or do I have to go buy an expensive DICE kit to enjoy music thru my iPhone? Where would I install this DICE kit? Do I still need a CD Changer regardless??

I haven't been on the forums for about a year now and kinda forgot a lot of things lol.. Will you fellow forum members enlighten me please?

Thanks guys
There are 2 aux cables, one if you have nav and one if you don't. Maybe you bought the wrong cable?
rwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
Do you have a tapedeck? I have the same problem... but I can't figure out how the hell to take 4 cables into 2... theres some diy theads but none explaining how you tap the wiring into an aux cable

Old 05-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
G-Hots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosecakes View Post
Do you have a tapedeck? I have the same problem... but I can't figure out how the hell to take 4 cables into 2... theres some diy theads but none explaining how you tap the wiring into an aux cable
No tape deck. Its the nav with cd player

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwall View Post
There are 2 aux cables, one if you have nav and one if you don't. Maybe you bought the wrong cable?
No I have the cable for nav but the software/hardware on the nav is too old.

It looks like the one in this pic. http://home.comcast.net/~nidlezp/bmw/nav3.JPG
Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Mallee

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3
I'll start with I'm not an expert on this topic, I've read a bit online as I was hoping to do this install at one point.

There could be a couple of issues here.

2003 should support the Aux cable, you'll need to do a little investigation into you own car first what is its actual production date.

1. You should have a BM53 or 64 radio module in the boot(err trunk) (depends on country you're the 54 I believe) this will have either flat pins or round pins on it's harness connection plug.
- I believe The round pin module does not support AUX in.
- 2003 should have the flat pin module.
- (rumour: I've heard this is a firmware issue and the modules are actually the same with just a different plug, but the harness for the round pin module does not have the aux port anyway)

2. The harness behind the Navigation computer needs to have the plug for the AUX cable.
- 2002 and earlier do not have it (as a rule, some special order cars may possibly have it not that I know of any.)
- 2003 cars should have the plug, you sound like you do?

3. It's not the Display unit that is an issue, all it does is display an image generated from either the Nav computer or the TV module, which are both in the boot (err trunk).

There are some good DIY install information pages out there on these topics.
Mallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
G-Hots

Good info and thanks for the reply. The nav and the harness is out from a 2004 Donor car which is also an M3.
However the plug for the OEM aux does not exist on this wiring harness.

I am wondering if theres a way to do a aux install thru the CD Player port and plugs or do I have to get a expensive DICE Mediabridge type of device to do this install?
Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
[email protected]
Bavarian Autosport

My Ride: 1989 325is
82 11 0 149 389 is for cars without Nav
82 11 0 149 391 is for cars with Nav

Which did you purchase?

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Ken@BavAuto is offline   Reply With Quote