spotted an oil leak...please identify - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Bimmer37

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
spotted an oil leak...please identify

spotted a leak towards the rear of the car (differential?)..pic is below...can someone please identify where it may be coming from. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil leaking.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	407798  

Last edited by Bimmer37; 06-28-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Bimmer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.569 mu
Year: 99
Model: 328i
Transmission: 5-spd
That's the diff and if memory serves, that'd be about where I'd expect the drain plug to be. I keep forgetting, but either diff or trans. gets a crush washer on that plug. For now, tighten it and see what you get...not crazy tight though...search for torque on it. Maybe 40-50 lbs., if I was guessing. Of course, if I'm right, you'll also sort of want to get it raised, level, and check the level from the fill plug, unless you know it's just started.

Usually, you remove fill plug first, so if you have issues with drain plug, you can still drive it...after returning fill plug, of course.

Realoem.com will tell you if you need crush washer there, coz if the tightening doesn't work, then try crush washer...which means a drain. If the level is fine, just tighten a little, keep your eye on it. There's only a qt. of fluid in the diff.

Brand new unlisted vid just for you.

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
Bimmer37

thanks! ill go give it a tightening and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
Bimmer37

so i dont even have the washers on there. I did do the differential fluid change 25k miles ago. Either I forgot to put the washers on or the plugs never had any to begin with.

man id hate to do another drain and refill since that fluid was pretty expensive! Hopefully though all i need is a simple washer to stop the leak.

anyways for anyone else that may be interested:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...34&hg=33&fg=10

Last edited by Bimmer37; 06-28-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:40 AM   #5
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
yeah there should be some aluminum crush washers on there.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | BMW Performance LCA | Mishimoto Intake Boots | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 5000k Xenarc CBI 66240 HID | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
Kubs

My Ride: 2003 330 Ci
When I did my change I bought new plugs that came with an o-ring on the plug. The dealer told me not to use the washers with the plug. I didnt put them on and I have a similar leak.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
falcon1209

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubs View Post
When I did my change I bought new plugs that came with an o-ring on the plug. The dealer told me not to use the washers with the plug. I didnt put them on and I have a similar leak.
Now when you go to him hes going to tell you that you must have messed up and need to pay him money to fix your mistake...

Said mistake: Taking his advice.
falcon1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
myksbmw

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer37 View Post
so i dont even have the washers on there. I did do the differential fluid change 25k miles ago. Either I forgot to put the washers on or the plugs never had any to begin with.

man id hate to do another drain and refill since that fluid was pretty expensive! Hopefully though all i need is a simple washer to stop the leak.

anyways for anyone else that may be interested:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...34&hg=33&fg=10
What fluid are you using? I've used Red Line Synthetic Differential Fluid and it only takes a quart. It's only $13/quart
Old 06-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Or, Mobil1 75w-90 - even cheaper.
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Kubs

My Ride: 2003 330 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon1209 View Post
Now when you go to him hes going to tell you that you must have messed up and need to pay him money to fix your mistake...

Said mistake: Taking his advice.
Yeah really. Now its going to cost me another 1.5 quarts to put a washer on there.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
Bimmer37

Quote:
Originally Posted by myksbmw View Post
What fluid are you using? I've used Red Line Synthetic Differential Fluid and it only takes a quart. It's only $13/quart
Using royal purple at the moment but when I get the new plugs and washers i'm switching to to red line...$13 sounds good.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
doshu

My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
Let me know how you like Red line, been using Royal Purple myself. I like it but I heard good things about red line.. Most dealers dont even sell the drain plugs, apparently its "life time fluid."
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #13
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
It's simple, add the crush washer and the leak will go away. Unless you over filled and it us leading from the weep hole.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #14
Bimmer37

Quote:
Originally Posted by doshu View Post
Let me know how you like Red line, been using Royal Purple myself. I like it but I heard good things about red line.. Most dealers dont even sell the drain plugs, apparently its "life time fluid."
Just picked up the drain plug and washers today from the dealer. Unfortunately I cant find my damn 14mm hex bit (tore up my garage looking for it).

FYI the washers are the same size as the plugs so you can't tell from the outside whether they are on or not. I'm pretty sure I did put the washers on there when I last changed the fluid. Not sure why its leaking but I can't really do anything until I find my 14mm hex bit.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #15
doshu

My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer37 View Post
Just picked up the drain plug and washers today from the dealer. Unfortunately I cant find my damn 14mm hex bit (tore up my garage looking for it).

FYI the washers are the same size as the plugs so you can't tell from the outside whether they are on or not. I'm pretty sure I did put the washers on there when I last changed the fluid. Not sure why its leaking but I can't really do anything until I find my 14mm hex bit.
If your car was not leveled when you were filling it up, likely you filled a little too much and like someone mentioned it will get rid of the extra through a hole. I am hoping its either that or washer failed, or you somehow forgot to put it. Dont forget to torque the plugs if you can, thats always good for washer and the plug..
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote