Question regarding transmission oil - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
Wrecksigge

My Ride: 330Ci M-tech II -03
Question regarding transmission oil

Hey!

So i am going to hand in my car to the autoshop soon to fix the famous "5th Gear Shifter Flop" problem and replace the bushing thats causing this issue. I cant live with this problem any longer. It's so annoying.

Anyhow... I am going to ask the mechanic to change the transmission oil while hes at it, and i asked my local BMW-dealer what kind of oil they recommended.
He told me to buy Castrol SMX-S 75W-85

But when searching i cant find any good information about this oilbrand, so i figured i could ask you guys if you have any experience with this oil or if you would recommend something else?

The car is a 330Ci -03 with manual gearbox
Old 05-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
The BMW transmission oil is available at the dealer more so than anywhere else, and is usually really expensive. Also, sometimes they will only sell the drum of fluid which is easily a couple hundred minimum. You can do either go that route, or go with Redline or Royal Purple which are 2 of the most popular transmission fluids. Just do a search on the forums and you will get plenty of reading material concerning both fluids. Once you have read through the threads you find, you can make your own decision. Personally I am currently running Redline MTL. I have tried Redline ATF as well and will give Royal Purple a shot later on too. It's all about personal preference.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
Kubs

My Ride: 2003 330 Ci
What is the "5th gear shifter flop"? Is that when you want to put it in neutral and it stays over by 5th?

Mine was doing that too until I installed AMSOIL 75W-90 Transmission Oil. It not only shifts smoother but the shifter doesnt get stuck over by 5th gear anymore. Maybe I got lucky but I like the improvement.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx?zo=1934716

Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Mclovin1458

My Ride: 2005 325ci, zsp/zpp
I'd go with RP syncromax. I'v gone through dealer oil, REdline D4 and synchtomax. Syncromax is definately the best one of 3. MUch better shifting in colder climates. Also with dealer oil, my shifter would pop out of a gear sometimes. With RP, this never happens, all the shifts are very smooth. The only disadvantage with this oil is you gotta change it more often. I'd say every 30k(miles).
Old 05-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Do not let them tear into your tranny before changing to a full synthetic tranny lube! My limp stick cured itself also by going to Redline MTL. The OEM and ATF based oils are dog crap!
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
spig

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP 6spd
I used Amsoil MTG as well since GL4 was the recommended type and I had used Amsoil in previous cars. Could not be happier with the fluid. The shifter bushing are another story.
spig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Wrecksigge

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiz21 View Post
The BMW transmission oil is available at the dealer more so than anywhere else, and is usually really expensive. Also, sometimes they will only sell the drum of fluid which is easily a couple hundred minimum. You can do either go that route, or go with Redline or Royal Purple which are 2 of the most popular transmission fluids. Just do a search on the forums and you will get plenty of reading material concerning both fluids. Once you have read through the threads you find, you can make your own decision. Personally I am currently running Redline MTL. I have tried Redline ATF as well and will give Royal Purple a shot later on too. It's all about personal preference.
Yeah it seems many have good experiences with the Redline oil, im defenetly gonna read up on that one. Cheers mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubs View Post
What is the "5th gear shifter flop"? Is that when you want to put it in neutral and it stays over by 5th?

Mine was doing that too until I installed AMSOIL 75W-90 Transmission Oil. It not only shifts smoother but the shifter doesnt get stuck over by 5th gear anymore. Maybe I got lucky but I like the improvement.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx?zo=1934716

Yeah thats exactly what i mean with "5th gear shifter flop". Maybe i should start out with just changing the oil and see what happens.
It would really be awesome if it would dissapear just by doing so.

But im afraid that the bushing is really messed up, because when the gearbox is cold, i have to force the shifter through it to get to the fifth gear. And when its warmed up, i still need to help the shifter back into neutral by tapping it when i want to shift from 5th to another gear.

Thanks for the input so far guys!
Old 05-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
Kubs

My Ride: 2003 330 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecksigge View Post
Yeah it seems many have good experiences with the Redline oil, im defenetly gonna read up on that one. Cheers mate!

Yeah thats exactly what i mean with "5th gear shifter flop". Maybe i should start out with just changing the oil and see what happens.
It would really be awesome if it would dissapear just by doing so.

But im afraid that the bushing is really messed up, because when the gearbox is cold, i have to force the shifter through it to get to the fifth gear. And when its warmed up, i still need to help the shifter back into neutral by tapping it when i want to shift from 5th to another gear.

Thanks for the input so far guys!
I would give the AMSOIL a try. PM me or go to the link in my sig if you want to order.

I starting using AMSOIL over winter and it is just as easy to shift in cold as it is when it is warm, and the shifter problem was fixed.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
Wrecksigge

To bad i can't find any dealers for Amsoil here in Sweden
Old 05-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Factory fluid is 83 22 0 309 031, Manual Trans Fluid which is mtf-lt2

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to [email protected]

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
personnaly i dont think that many people are using amsoils and there arent that many reviws on them.. i would stick with redline or RP.. me personnaly redline
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote