AA supercharger help - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
bmw_chuzo

My Ride: HPF M3
Send a message via MSN to bmw_chuzo
AA supercharger help

hello.
I just finished intalling my c38 kit, its amazing!

The problem that I have is that when pressing the throttle very agressive sometimes the car will hesitate and throw backfires. Also between shifts the engine will lag a little bit. What could be the causes of this?
I don't have any error codes, and the car idles perfect around 900 rpm and adaptations were cleared

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bmw_chuzo; 12-05-2009 at 09:27 PM.
bmw_chuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
vacuum leak somewhere.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 328i - Custom Turbo tuned by AA

|
Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
bmw_chuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
vacuum leak somewhere.
Do you think so? The hoses where pretty tight but I will check tomorow again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
lutzperformance
Lutz Performance-FL BMW F/I

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3, 04 Z06
Send a message via AIM to lutzperformance
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_chuzo View Post
Do you think so? The hoses where pretty tight but I will check tomorow again

I would also smoke test everything it will make figuring out your leak much faster.
lutzperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
bmw_chuzo

how?
I also intalled a boost gauge and it starts to get boost aroung 3k rpm+ up to redline. The hesitation has stopped for now but I still get a lag between shifts.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
zhp203

My Ride: 2004 330Ci zhp
I have some lags between shifts as well.. so im curious..
zhp203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
What exactly do you guys mean by lagging bewteen shifts?
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
dennymedeiros

My Ride: 03 SC 330i AA LevelI
Guy's adjust your Bypass Valves... I had to adjust mine quite a bit.
1987 BMW 325E 5-speed Build date: 11/06 [new 2010)

Other interests:

dennymedeiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
bmw_chuzo

how do we do it Denny?
Turning the screw that is on top? I'm a total noob in FI

Old 12-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
dennymedeiros

Quote:
how do we do it Denny?
Turning the screw that is on top? I'm a total noob in FI
Very easy ...you loosen up the nut few turns that holds the screw on top of the Bypass valve then you clockwise turn the screw ( I think its 5 full turns over factory setting ) for me..you will have to drive and see how it feels when you shift. Hope this helps...

One device that took out the lag from the ETC/pedal response (BMW's suffer from serious lag of the pedal) is the sprintbooster ...every bmw should have one of these... especially with the added drag of the Supercharger.

Other interests:

Old 12-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
bmw_chuzo

Denny,
I just did it but nothing changed. well (maybe a little better), also the valve or blower is a little more louder now, sounds cool.

The problem that I have is that when I downshift or shift fast there is a little hesitation or lag and sometimes it throws a backfires when I quickly press the throttle

The car is fast!, no errors or anything I just know that is not running 100%

Old 12-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #12
UKtRAINE3

My Ride: ///M3
Send a message via AIM to UKtRAINE3
AA have anything to say about adjusting the bypass valve? I was under the assumption that it was adjusted to spec from them.
UKtRAINE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 AM   #13
dennymedeiros

Quote:
Denny,
I just did it but nothing changed. well (maybe a little better), also the valve or blower is a little more louder now, sounds cool.

The problem that I have is that when I downshift or shift fast there is a little hesitation or lag and sometimes it throws a backfires when I quickly press the throttle

The car is fast!, no errors or anything I just know that is not running 100%
Take a pic of your BPV and post it I want to compare to mine and see how much you adjusted.

I have already talked to AA about it and the lag is caused by added parasitic drag on the belts by the Supercharger and like I said BMW have very laggy ETC stock so now it accentuates it more with the SC. My solution and it works awesome like I said is the sprintbooster.... its no gimmick...it works.

For the backfire it could be a host of things (air leak, bad coils..etc.) making the car run rich on accel,,making the unburned gas blow up in your exhaust.

Other interests:

Last edited by dennymedeiros; 12-08-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #14
bmw_chuzo

here is a pic.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
Penn

My Ride: RS4
Btw if you adjust the BPV too tight you might crack your manifold. The pressure inside the manifold has to be released...
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #16
dennymedeiros

In your pic it looks like you did not lock down the nut.

Here a pic of mine.

Other interests:

Old 12-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #17
dennymedeiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Btw if you adjust the BPV too tight you might crack your manifold. The pressure inside the manifold has to be released...
You Sir are 100% wrong...

My car at idle is seeing 20in/hg of vaccum which is the same as stock which means the BPV is releasing on idle no problems. With my BPV setting boost sets in a little quicker on part throttle giving more low end power for everyday street driving

Other interests:

Last edited by dennymedeiros; 12-08-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #18
ZeroSum

My Ride: 05 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennymedeiros View Post
I have already talked to AA about it and the lag is caused by added parasitic drag on the belts by the Supercharger and like I said BMW have very laggy ETC stock so now it accentuates it more with the SC.
Strange, only noticed a minimal amount of parasitic drag perhaps 10% but no increased throttle lag. No different to the ess N/A remap which was great.

Expecting a bit of added delay with the intercooler and smaller pulley - (if I ever manage to get it fitted )
ZeroSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #19
dennymedeiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSum View Post
Strange, only noticed a minimal amount of parasitic drag perhaps 10% but no increased throttle lag. No different to the ess N/A remap which was great.

Expecting a bit of added delay with the intercooler and smaller pulley - (if I ever manage to get it fitted )
mmmm...interesting. I heard somewhere that the Europe version BMW's had a more accurate ETC from factory!!

With the smaller pulley and very efficient bar and plate intercooler from AA u should have faster boost then level 1...

Hows the install going with level 2?

Other interests:

Old 12-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #20
ZeroSum

My Ride: 05 325
Hey Denny - Install is nearly complete, but very tricky compared to stage 1. A certian amount of initiative and patience is required but thats expected considering the little room we have to work with in the engine bay.

Currently have a problem with snail pipe alignment, not sure If I have been sent the wrong part or not. David (Activ3) is very kindly helping me out with this over PM.

Can't wait to jump back in my car, I have not driven it for nearly a month!
ZeroSum is offline   Reply With Quote