Job Interview question..... - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

View Poll Results: Should i follow up?
Yes!! 19 82.61%
No!! 0 0%
I am a loser and I didnt get the job. 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #21
SLVR JDM

My Ride: E39 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
Where are you working now? You were working at Oracle or some IT business, right?
I was in IT consulting for one of the big firms for about 13 years. Now I'm over at a much smaller company with a local HQ focused primarily hardware resale (Cisco, HP, Dell, etc.) managing the field engineers doing the installs and configs.
This place is exploding with growth and an excellent company culture, so I'm glad I made the change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SLVR JDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #22
choxor

My Ride: Redneck Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
That's not why you do it. It makes them more likely to remember who you were so you can be one of the two finalists.

I would write something on the back of my business card that we connected about in the interview; eg. Places of interest, a common hobby, something profound we talked about, etc.

The point is to plant things in their mind to help them remember the many things you discussed in your interview. You want them to remember you the most out of all the candidates. They may have been interviewing for 8 hours that day.

Sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Follow-up isn't going to make me more likely to remember who you are. If we like you, we'll remember you. No follow-up needed. If we don't like you, we probably won't remember you. Follow-up doesn't matter.

If you sent me a follow-up rehashing high points from the interview I'd be rubbed the wrong way. I know what happened in the interview. I was there. I've already made pertinent notes. I don't need your cliffs. If you're going to send an email, make it short and sweet thanking me for my time. Don't use it as another opportunity to sell yourself. All that does is make you look pushy. It's also wasting my time reading that email. That's why brevity is key. Wasting my time is just going to piss me off.

Now, this is all anecdotal. I'm talking about a professional position. If you're interviewing as a salesman at Rooms to go, then sure. A follow-up may do more good. Less skill involved and hiring decision isn't as critical. I'm trying to hire a highly specialized individual to fill a need. I don't gaf if we both play golf.

Then again, a follow-up doesn't hurt (unless you come off as an asshat who thinks you already got the job) so it's a good idea to send one. There's always the possibility it could help. Maybe. A tiny amount. For some jobs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by choxor; 02-27-2017 at 09:04 AM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:05 AM   #23
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
Should've followed up with a BJ.

MorganFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:45 AM   #24
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
I was in IT consulting for one of the big firms for about 13 years. Now I'm over at a much smaller company with a local HQ focused primarily hardware resale (Cisco, HP, Dell, etc.) managing the field engineers doing the installs and configs.
This place is exploding with growth and an excellent company culture, so I'm glad I made the change.
Cool. Congrats!

Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #25
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Follow-up isn't going to make me more likely to remember who you are.
Oh okay, so you can remember every detail from the interview after doing them all day on top of your other duties. I wish I had such a good photographic memory

Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:09 PM   #26
choxor

Quote:
Oh okay, so you can remember every detail from the interview after doing them all day on top of your other duties. I wish I had such a good photographic memory

That's the thing, boo. I don't have to remember every detail. Only the pertinent stuff, which I make notes about. That along with your resume is all I need. I don't care that you were an eagle scout. Or that you teach piano to blind albino kids on your spare time. Or that you're "results driven", a "team player", and "detail oriented."

If you email me a novel (anything over 3 sentences) rehashing why you're the number one stunna, I can guarantee you one thing: that sht won't be read.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #27
Zell

Quote:

If you email me a novel (anything over 3 sentences)
Sounds like you're a pretty lazy employee.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #28
choxor

Quote:
Sounds like you're a pretty lazy employee.

I'm American. I actually have an illegal immigrant that reads them to me. I just don't like to hear him talk for more than three sentences at a time.

Last edited by choxor; 02-27-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #29
Zell

Quote:
I actually have a illegal immigrant that reads them to me.
Reported

Old 02-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #30
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
That's the thing, boo. I don't have to remember every detail. Only the pertinent stuff, which I make notes about. That along with your resume is all I need. I don't care that you were an eagle scout. Or that you teach piano to blind albino kids on your spare time. Or that you're "results driven", a "team player", and "detail oriented."

If you email me a novel (anything over 3 sentences) rehashing why you're the number one stunna, I can guarantee you one thing: that sht won't be read.
I agree with this, while a follow up thank you note is appreciated as a professional courtesy, I don't need a novel as a response, I get over 1,000 emails a day, I don't need any more.

I must say I do use the receipt of a thank you as a measuring stick for professionalism when dealing with entry level kids right out of college, if I give you my card a response is just common courtesy and good business practice, something the jackasses graduating these days completely lack. Dealing with people at a higher level is different though, your experience and skill is what counts, not if you remember to send a thank you.

Last edited by bgsmith; 02-27-2017 at 12:23 PM.
bgsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #31
choxor

Quote:
Reported

You'll never take away Julio.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #32
Zell

Quote:
You'll never take away Julio.
Julio will be mine

Old 02-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #33
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:

I make notes of anything I want to remember from an interview during the interview itself so I can remember what I liked/didn't like about it. That's what I need, not a documentary reminding me of every word said. If a manager needs more than the resume and their notes from the interview to determine if they wanted to hire that person then I'd say they probably don't have the requisite skills/ability to be in a position to hire someone.

If a person wants to follow up from an interview (for whatever reason, I mostly call it "old time courtesy") it should be something short and sweet like "Thank you for taking the time to consider me for the position of XYZ. I look forward to hearing from you regarding this opportunity" or some other similar "polite bullshit" that the manager can glance at for 1 second before deleting.

My blog posts:

Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote