Do you own Apple stock? check your accounts!!!! - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #21
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
It does make it easier to liquidate more appropriate amounts though when you do have some invested. So say I want to liquidate $1000 real quick, I can actually get close to $1000 and not $1400.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #22
boostedisbetter

My Ride: eIght tHoSnd 200!!!!
It's time to buy apple stock is what it means....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #23
spotlaser

My Ride: 01 325xi
Essentially every shareholder post split gets a 7x dividend increase. Apple currently pays a quarterly cash dividend of $3.29 per common share.
spotlaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #24
217Bimmer

My Ride: Dodge Durango
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlaser View Post
Essentially every shareholder post split gets a 7x dividend increase. Apple currently pays a quarterly cash dividend of $3.29 per common share.
no you don't. do you know how a split or dividends work? the EPS will be divided by 7.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #25
spotlaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
no you don't. do you know how a split or dividends work? the EPS will be divided by 7.
Apparently I don't. Can you elaborate? Thx.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #26
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: fast
Quote:
read my post.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #27
SLVR JDM

My Ride: E39 M5
Quote:
Think about it. Why would they split the stock and keep the same dividend?

If they kept it the same and ignored the split, they'd be paying out 7x dividends

SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #28
spotlaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Think about it. Why would they split the stock and keep the same dividend?

If they kept it the same and ignored the split, they'd be paying out 7x dividends
Ok...I get it now. Wishful thinking on my part.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #29
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: S2000
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
I got a notice in my Fidelity account for FLCSX, so I guess it was related to this?
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #30
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkeiS2K View Post
I got a notice in my Fidelity account for FLCSX, so I guess it was related to this?
Not likely at all. More likely some fund information was posted and the notice is for you to read it.

My blog posts:

Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #31
217Bimmer

Quote:
Ok...I get it now. Wishful thinking on my part.
that would be nice but it is just a reassignment of share price and shares. only impact will be the psychological one that people view the stock as more affordable. who knows if it is a good decision or not. i think some were hoping to see apple top 1000.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #32
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
People thinking along those lines have no business investing. They will enjoy their money more in Las Vegas if they think it's cool to see Apple go over $1000 per share. It's an arbitrary value. Any public company could go over $1000 if it didn't have many shares relative to it's size.

Sent from AutomaticDoublePostBimmerApp Potato

WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #33
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
People thinking along those lines have no business investing. They will enjoy their money more in Las Vegas if they think it's cool to see Apple go over $1000 per share. It's an arbitrary value. Any public company could go over $1000 if it didn't have many shares relative to it's size.

well a high stock price does indicate higher value and with apple's image that it is a premium brand having a high share price makes it appear better and more attractive to own. 7:1 split is pretty unusual, but apple for sure wanted to keep its share price higher.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #34
Wraisil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post

The average retail investor is generally woefully uneducated on investing and most of them have no business investing in individual companies in today's market. However, the more rare "huge success stories" keep them coming into the market and tossing their hard earned money around pretty much blindly.

My blog posts:

Old 06-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #35
Wraisil

Quote:
well a high stock price does indicate higher value and with apple's image that it is a premium brand having a high share price makes it appear better and more attractive to own. 7:1 split is pretty unusual, but apple for sure wanted to keep its share price higher.
A higher price reflects a higher P/B, not a higher value. Apple's relatively low P/E makes it appear more attractive to own than many stocks, but I've never heard a professional investor say "buy stocks that cost more, because they have a higher value or are more attractive to own".

My blog posts:

Old 06-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #36
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
A higher price reflects a higher P/B, not a higher value. Apple's relatively low P/E makes it appear more attractive to own than many stocks, but I've never heard a professional investor say "buy stocks that cost more, because they have a higher value or are more attractive to own".
no, a professional investor will likely not say that, but price does reflect on its image. also, people investing smaller amounts of money are less likely to buy a higher priced stock. this makes higher priced stocks on average less volatile and generally goes along with being a more stable company. those with more investing experience will look at the bigger picture and share price is a part of that.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #37
Wraisil

Quote:
no, a professional investor will likely not say that, but price does reflect on its image. also, people investing smaller amounts of money are less likely to buy a higher priced stock. this makes higher priced stocks on average less volatile and generally goes along with being a more stable company. those with more investing experience will look at the bigger picture and share price is a part of that.
VXAPL has been higher than the VXGS and the VIX for pretty much all of the past 5 years, even though it has traded about 10x the share price of GS. I could give plenty of other examples, but price generally has little correlation with volatility. There are about 1,000 indicators I would look at in determining whether or not to invest money in a company before share price would come into the picture (penny stocks excluded, but I'm speaking of non-OTC companies).

p.s. The retail investor has next-to-no impact on volatility of largely traded stocks in today's markets.

My blog posts:

Last edited by Wraisil; 06-09-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #38
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Calm down calm down.... This happened to me a couple years ago....

Sirius went from 36 down to 2

My broker Detz told me to buy more cause it 18/1 split

Last edited by JonJon; 06-09-2014 at 03:13 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #39
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Calm down calm down.... This happened to me a couple years ago....

Sirius went from 36 down to 2

My broker Detz told me to buy more cause it 18/1 split
18:1 split
Old 06-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #40
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by makecopies View Post

I checked this morning and thought it was a typo

Apple’s Share Price Is No Mistake, Reflects 7-for-1 Stock Split

AppleAAPL -1.93% closed Friday at $645.57. It will open Monday around $92.

Nothing’s changed about the business, and Apple remains the world’s most valuable company by market capitalization. But Monday will the first day Apple trades after its seven-for-one stock split.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/06/...1-stock-split/
Haha, just looked at my account...Said I lost $47000 because the share price is 93 but the share quantity remained the same. Glad I read this post first otherwise I'd have a heart attack.

NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote