SS x-pipe question - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
bmw_chuzo

My Ride: HPF M3
Send a message via MSN to bmw_chuzo
SS x-pipe question

Hello,

Recently a friend of mine added the supersprint x-pipe to his car, but he has lost some low end torque (it feels like a lag) when compare it to his previous setup (straight pipe. However the car pulls more at higher RPMs.

Is this normal?

The car has an auto tranny. 330ci.

Thanks,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmw_chuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
ALPIN3

My Ride: E46 M3 & E46 323i
This tends to happen with certain exhaust or header setups. If you gain low end torque you lose top end and vice-versa. I would put money on it that the SS X-pipe was designed with top end horsepower in mind. Its helping to create better flow and combustion at the top end of the RPM band, but low end torque loss is a natural factor when this happens.

Same thing happened with my car after a headers install. It felt as though the car didn't want to do much until 4k rpm, but it came alive 10 fold after 4k. The car also pulled from 80-120 a full second faster. Its a compromise you have to make depending on your driving style and what you want. If he hasn't upgraded his diff that will not only make up the lost torque but give him a huge boost down low.
ALPIN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #3
bmw_chuzo

My Ride: HPF M3
Send a message via MSN to bmw_chuzo
thanks alpine

btw. where did you get your 3.91 diff? Can it be installed in the 330?

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bmw_chuzo; 10-19-2007 at 09:08 AM.
bmw_chuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
ALPIN3

My Ride: E46 M3 & E46 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_chuzo View Post
thanks alpine

btw. where did you get your 3.91 diff? Can it be installed in the 330?

thanks
3.91 for an auto 330 would not be the best choice. Would be just a bit too much for highway driving (Its pretty high in the RPMs for my 323, so the 330 would be revving even higher). The ZHP 3.64 would be a good replacement for the 330's 3.38 stock auto diff IMO. Would be about a 7% torque gain throughout the RPM band on a 330...about 12-15 ft/lbs of torque depending on what the car is currently putting down. That would clear up the low end loss due to the X pipe.

Got mine on www.car-part.com (search under "carrier")

Last edited by ALPIN3; 10-19-2007 at 11:08 AM.
ALPIN3 is offline   Reply With Quote