HR peeps? I have a HR question - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
HR peeps? I have a HR question

I worked for a company through a temp agency for 6 months the entire time the company I worked for said they were going to hire me well they did on what they call:
Part Time Variable? I still get 40 hours but no benefits.
(insurance, holiday pay or sick pay)

Never heard of this before is this something new?

Last edited by makecopies; 10-11-2016 at 02:06 PM.
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #2
Show me

My Ride: 330 Vert
Disclaimer:HR is under my umbrella, but am not HR trained.

First things you need to check on are likely in the employee handbook. #1 is what it takes to get benefits. Many times benefits are tied to being fulltime, but you may work enough hours already to be classified as FT. The ACA changed that threshold for a lot of companies' health insurance (esp if over 50 FT equivalent employees). #2 is what your classification means. You may be listed as a seasonal employee. In which case, polish up that resume because your time will be limited to keep you off the benefit plans and try to dodge paying OT (state's rules vary).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Show me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show me View Post
Disclaimer:HR is under my umbrella, but am not HR trained.

First things you need to check on are likely in the employee handbook. #1 is what it takes to get benefits. Many times benefits are tied to being fulltime, but you may work enough hours already to be classified as FT. The ACA changed that threshold for a lot of companies' health insurance (esp if over 50 FT equivalent employees). #2 is what your classification means. You may be listed as a seasonal employee. In which case, polish up that resume because your time will be limited to keep you off the benefit plans and try to dodge paying OT (state's rules vary).
This is what I'm thinking there is a lot of us that are PT Variable and we charge to project numbers so I guess when the project dries up its easier to get rid of us?
This is a huge company too. 30k plus employees

Last edited by makecopies; 10-11-2016 at 01:21 PM.
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by makecopies View Post
I worked for a company through a temp agency for 6 months the entire time the company I worked for said they were going to hire me well they did on what they call:
Part Time Variable? I still get 40 hours but no benefits.
(insurance, holiday pay or sick pay)

Never heard of this before is thins something new?
Don't do it. Companies like to use this as a way to get a full time employee without paying for the benefits of a full time employee. In fact, I'm not entirely sure how it's legal or if it even is legal in some cases.

My friend works for Lowe's. He got hired by them, then they fired him and rehired him again as a contractor. He works the same hours, does the same thing, but has no vacation, benefits, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zell; 10-11-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Thanks Obama!

I like how these idiots really thought companies wouldn't find ways around the ****in employer mandate.

aarondb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:26 PM   #6
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
30k+ employees? They don't give a shjt about you. Pack up and move on, you've already invested too much time there than you should.

MorganFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #7
ed17331

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondb4 View Post
Thanks Obama!

I like how these idiots really thought companies wouldn't find ways around the ****in employer mandate.
^This.

Hard to believe these brilliant politicians and lawmakers can't seem to think two steps ahead and anticipate some of the unintended consequences of the terrible legislation they let their friends and lobbyists write for them.

Have they even read it yet?
ed17331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #8
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Don't do it. Companies like to use this as a way to get a full time employee without paying for the benefits of a full time employee. In fact, I'm not entirely sure how it's legal or if it even is legal in some cases.

My friend works for Lowe's. He got hired by them, then they fired him and rehired him again as a contractor. He works the same hours, does the same thing, but has no vacation, benefits, etc.
I know it's unfortunate but the situation sounds humorous

"You're fired. Oh we were just kidding Johnny."
“But as I look overall at the capitalist economies, there are a lot of good things doing, and I think you can tune the tax parameters and get way more equity and get some additional government services and still be in the same basic framework.”
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:15 PM   #9
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
I know it's unfortunate but the situation sounds humorous

"You're fired. Oh we were just kidding Johnny."
Yeah I don't quite know how it all went down but I think he's being taken advantage of

Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:25 AM   #10
Black///M

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed17331 View Post
^This.

Hard to believe these brilliant politicians and lawmakers can't seem to think two steps ahead and anticipate some of the unintended consequences of the terrible legislation they let their friends and lobbyists write for them.

Have they even read it yet?
We all know no one read the damned bill.
Black///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:50 AM   #11
Show me

My Ride: 330 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondb4 View Post
Thanks Obama!

Been going on long before Obama. It used to be a way to dodge paying overtime, vacation, or sick leave.

Show me is offline   Reply With Quote