Cheap Boost- Could it be?? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
330Cole

My Ride: 01' 330Ci
Cheap Boost- Could it be??

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1027015
This is a link for the sale of turbo parts that are compatible with my e46 330.
I would need to obtain- additional plumbing (for intercooler, intake/air filter etc.), modifications to connect the DP to exhaust, larger injectors, and above all A PROPER TUNE.

the purpose of this thread is to discuss whether these parts could even work on my car, (for reasons of quality) and whether its as simple as bolting everything on, routing the piping (i have a friend who could do intercooler/exhaust plumbing with his eyes closed by now), installing the injectors, working out a turbo oiling system, and working out a tune. I could also start off by using this set up, and gradually replace the components with higher quality parts as needed.

i could look into using the stage 1 tune from a TT turbo kit, remote dyno tune from Active Autowerke, Find a local tuner, or download something like megasquirt and programming it myself.

Please let me know if i am on the right track, or if there is anything i overlooked or seem to be unaware of. Thank you for your input.
-Cole

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • KW V1
  • Meyle HD Diff & Subframe Bushings
  • Meyle RTAB & TMS RTAB Limiter kit
  • Lemforder ZHP HD Control Arms
  • Meyle HD FCAB
  • TMS Subframe Reinforcement kit
  • TMS Swaybars F/R & Adjustable Endlinks
  • 3.38 Open Diff
  • BMW Performance SSK
  • BB Gen 3 Headers
  • Eisenmann Race Exhaust
  • 3.5" Longtube CAI
  • 3.5" Conforti Eurosport Filter
  • Shark Injector
  • Stoptech Slotted Rotors
  • TMS SS Brakelines
  • ST Sport Pads

Last edited by 330Cole; 03-18-2014 at 04:23 PM.
330Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 1000rwhp Turbo M3
Looks like

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1000+RWHP, Lab22 Built Turbo S54 - BMW Half Mile Record Holder

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 03-18-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
330Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Looks like

I was fully expecting people to have that opinion however i guess i was looking for the explanation of why it wont work out. just trying to learn, this stuff isnt exactly on google

also, i would only be running 5-6 lbs of boost initially

• KW V1
  • Meyle HD FCAB
  • 3.38 Open Diff
  • BMW Performance SSK
  • BB Gen 3 Headers
  • Eisenmann Race Exhaust
  • 3.5" Longtube CAI
  • Shark Injector
  • TMS SS Brakelines
  • ST Sport Pads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 01:46 AM   #4
MarcusLSB

My Ride: X5, CT200h, CLK63 BS
The truth is, you'll wind up with a half finished car that doesn't run at all, or run right.. you'll spend twice what you thought you'd spend, and in the end you'll have wished you went the route that's already been traveled extensively. Buy a M3, put a simple turbo kit like the MaxPSI kit, or a used HPF kit on it.. call it a day, or maybe the M3 stock will be enough for you. I would highly advise you avoid the route of turboing the 330.. just my opinion.
MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
STORMER

My Ride: AA SC 98 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
The truth is, you'll wind up with a half finished car that doesn't run at all, or run right.. you'll spend twice what you thought you'd spend, and in the end you'll have wished you went the route that's already been traveled extensively. Buy a M3, put a simple turbo kit like the MaxPSI kit, or a used HPF kit on it.. call it a day, or maybe the M3 stock will be enough for you. I would highly advise you avoid the route of turboing the 330.. just my opinion.

+1.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

360+rwhp

AA Stage 2, Arp2000, Underdrive Pulley, M50 Manifold, Cat Delete, Supersprint Exhaust, M5 Clutch w/ Lightweight Flywheel, Euro Fan, FK Coilovers, AEM Boost Gauge, Zhp Knob, Stoptech Brakes, R1 Rotors

Quote:
You sir, just thread jacked the sh!t out of OP.
STORMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
330Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
This seems to be the most widely accepted route to go.. For good reason I'm sure. I'm pretty much married to my 330 after all I put into it, but I can always use it for a track/toy/beat-on-it kinda car. I've been following the max psi threads and am impressed at what their cars can do.

• KW V1
  • Meyle HD FCAB
  • 3.38 Open Diff
  • BMW Performance SSK
  • BB Gen 3 Headers
  • Eisenmann Race Exhaust
  • 3.5" Longtube CAI
  • Shark Injector
  • TMS SS Brakelines
  • ST Sport Pads
Old 03-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #7
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Cole View Post
This seems to be the most widely accepted route to go.. For good reason I'm sure. I'm pretty much married to my 330 after all I put into it, but I can always use it for a track/toy/beat-on-it kinda car. I've been following the max psi threads and am impressed at what their cars can do.

The manifold is definitely a Brazilian made SPA turbo manifold, they go for more then $500 new. They just recently introduced new materials so they get less rusty and better heat cycling.

The turbo looks like junk and so does the wastegate.

WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
Like Marcus said, I think you are just buying a handful of problems.

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98

dallasberry is offline   Reply With Quote