E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Bilstein + Eibach front strut assembly timelapse

771 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ChuckyVee 
#1 ·
Had the joy of borrowing a spring compressor from work, made the installation a breeze! Highly recommend it. :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWCx3yzhf_Y&feature=youtu.be

Bently calls for the top strut mount nut to be tightened to 47lb-ft, however I did not have a nifty cut out 22mm socket so I decided to put the torque wrench on the 7mm allen wrench instead! It didn't work - the torque spec that is :facepalm: It tigthened it just fine but wouldn't 'click' to tell me I had achieved 47ftlbs - after having the nut below 5 exposed threads and still not reaching 47lbfeet I was convinced my idea of switching it to the allen just scientifically does not work out. I decided to back it off and have it where the mount was not loose, but still able to spin on it's bearing. The strut shaft is pretty much flush with the top of the selflocking nut.

Anyone else have images of how many (if any) threads are exposed past the nut when properly torqued to 47 lb ft or is it flush as I have it?

#3 ·
Once the you tighten the nut to the point where it starts to compress the ball bearings in the upper strut bearing it's not going to turn more than about 1/8 turn.
what is not going to the turn more than 1/8th turn? The bearing or the nut. I was worried I was tightening too much b/c when I had similar amounts of threads showing, It was not easy to move the strut bearing around. Not super hard, it still moved, just not easily.

#5 ·
thanks Scott. Any just to clarify, you are saying to take the nut down until this drastic increase? and doing so will still have the top bearing able to move? And all of this is with the spring compressed or does it not really matter at this point - or does it matter cuz the torque would be different.

I wonder what difference those couple of mm's make in terms of the suspension travel.etc

#6 ·
That spring compressor is awesome! So much easier, quicker, and safer than the regular pair of "dual hook" compressors I used! Not gonna lie...I was way wigged out putting my struts together with the spring under so much tension!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.