E46 fi, am I cleared for boost? Compression test inside - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
Bavaryan

My Ride: 330i w/out park.
E46 fi, am I cleared for boost? Compression test inside

Not sure which direction I'm going yet, either supercharged or turbo, but I figure first things first I should check that my high mileage m54b30 is up to the task. It currently has 165k on it.

I was thinking of rebuilding it first but with the following compression numbers I'm asking myself why I would do that.

Results:
1:185
2:187
3:190
4:190
5:185
6:190

Everything else is up to date, either in original great shape or replaced.

What are your thoughts? Rebuild the motor first or just go for it?

Edit: I already know just buying an m3 would be cheaper and arguably better, but I'm looking for a project I can do myself and something unique.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bavaryan; 03-22-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Bavaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
STORMER

My Ride: AA SC 98 M3
Boost away!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

360+rwhp

AA Stage 2, Arp2000, Underdrive Pulley, M50 Manifold, Cat Delete, Supersprint Exhaust, M5 Clutch w/ Lightweight Flywheel, Euro Fan, FK Coilovers, AEM Boost Gauge, Zhp Knob, Stoptech Brakes, R1 Rotors

Quote:
You sir, just thread jacked the sh!t out of OP.
STORMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
MachRc
When Keepin' it real goes..

My Ride: 2009 E89 Z4 35i
Go for it! It will be unique and always will be something special. No need to build up the motor unless you want more than a specific amount of horses that the kit will provide unless specified.

"This is ten percent luck.. Twenty percent skill.. Fifteen percent concentrated power of will. Five percent pleasure..
Fifty percent pain. And a hundred percent reason to remember the name...."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
[email protected]
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavaryan View Post
Not sure which direction I'm going yet, either supercharged or turbo, but I figure first things first I should check that my high mileage m54b30 is up to the task. It currently has 165k on it.

I was thinking of rebuilding it first but with the following compression numbers I'm asking myself why I would do that.

Results:
1:185
2:187
3:190
4:190
5:185
6:190

Everything else is up to date, either in original great shape or replaced.

What are your thoughts? Rebuild the motor first or just go for it?

Edit: I already know just buying an m3 would be cheaper and arguably better, but I'm looking for a project I can do myself and something unique.

Nice, Compression test is clear and time to add some boost.
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
Bavaryan

I appreciate the input, it goes along with my thinking as well.

Right now debating between technique tuning stage 1 turbo, aa supercharger stage 1 or aa stage 2. I can't seem to figure out if I want to turbo or sc it, but I do have some time to think and will be asking both companies some specific questions once I have money in hand.

I'm thinking any more than stage 1 is going to be a waste with an open diff anyways so why spend the premium...

Old 03-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
A4RingedONE8T

My Ride: Turbo ///M Roadster
The early torque of Nick's turbo setup is hard to beat. Both TT and AA offer great kits, just figure out which powerband better suits your driving style
A4RingedONE8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
mdrobnak

My Ride: 04 330i SMG TT STG1
TT Stage 1 is fun.

2004 330i with Technique Tuning Stage 1 Kit, UUC Twin Disc Clutch + FW Kit, Walbro 400 Fuel Pump, Aeromotive FPR, Modified Return Lines, E36 Fuel Filter, Ethanol Content Sensor, 550i Clutch Actuator, Lengthened actuator rod, modified exhaust, and FX-R projectors.
93 Octane - 8.5 PSI : 309RWHP on a Superflow / 3XXRWHP on a DynoJet
E85 - ? PSI : ???RWHP on a DynoJet
First SSG MoTeC M150 Powered 330
mdrobnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
Bavaryan

Any idea estimated 0-60 with these kits? I realize highly variable just looking for a guesstimate that's better than mine. I figure low 5's?

Will definitely be looking at torque curves I don't want to have to beat the snot out of it to smile.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
A4RingedONE8T

My Ride: Turbo ///M Roadster
Quote:
Any idea estimated 0-60 with these kits? I realize highly variable just looking for a guesstimate that's better than mine. I figure low 5's?

Will definitely be looking at torque curves I don't want to have to beat the snot out of it to smile.

Torque curves will definitely look opposite of each other. Nick's kit with the GT30 (or equivalent) will have peak torque starting around 3-3500. Peak tq/hp on the blower are going to be at redline as it develops boost based on shaft speed aka rev's
A4RingedONE8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #10
Bavaryan

E46 fi, am I cleared for boost? Compression test inside

Viral was nice enough to send over the dyno graph today and you are correct, it doesn't start making much torque until higher rpms.

I think in order to be happy with that type of sc id have to at least go with the stage 2 kit.

Now the question is what would I have more fun with, a torquey turbo or high revving sc setup.....

Last edited by Bavaryan; 03-26-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #11
[email protected]
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Viral was nice enough to send over the dyno graph today and you are correct, it doesn't start making much torque until higher rpms.

I think in order to be happy with that type of sc id have to at least go with the stage 2 kit.

Now the question is what would I have more fun with, a torquey turbo or high revving sc setup.....

Your very welcome for the information. Supercharger Kits are easier to maintain and install than turbo kits. Either way you will have fun going F/I
Old 03-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #12
mdrobnak

My Ride: 04 330i SMG TT STG1
Hey Viral,

What makes you say it's easier to maintain then a turbo kit? I like to work with hard data.

I agree on the install...if you're not doing headers, it's definitely easier to install.

2004 330i with Technique Tuning Stage 1 Kit, UUC Twin Disc Clutch + FW Kit, Walbro 400 Fuel Pump, Aeromotive FPR, Modified Return Lines, E36 Fuel Filter, Ethanol Content Sensor, 550i Clutch Actuator, Lengthened actuator rod, modified exhaust, and FX-R projectors.
93 Octane - 8.5 PSI : 309RWHP on a Superflow / 3XXRWHP on a DynoJet
E85 - ? PSI : ???RWHP on a DynoJet
First SSG MoTeC M150 Powered 330
mdrobnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #13
Bavaryan

Here's another question, what is going to be easier on the car itself?

I know it will mainly correlate to the power being put out, but would a turbo with more low end torque be more likely to blow out other components than a sc with upper end torque/power?

Old 03-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #14
AMG-ETR

My Ride: S54B32 On Boost
Send a message via MSN to AMG-ETR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobnak View Post
Hey Viral,

What makes you say it's easier to maintain then a turbo kit? I like to work with hard data.

I agree on the install...if you're not doing headers, it's definitely easier to install.
There are a lot less parts in a S/C setup than a turbo. Less **** you break, less **** you need to fix .

AMG-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
[email protected]
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobnak View Post
Hey Viral,

Well for starters with our Supercharger Kit the oil for the blower is self-contained so you do not need to tap/or drill in the oil pan for engine oil. Our Supercharger Kit is full bolt on system and can be reverted back to stock. The only maintenance on our Supercharger Kit is a belt which you can pick up at any local nap store and the Rotrex Fluid which needs to be changed out ever 2 years or 50k whichever comes first.

Quote:
Here's another question, what is going to be easier on the car itself?

I know it will mainly correlate to the power being put out, but would a turbo with more low end torque be more likely to blow out other components than a sc with upper end torque/power?

Our Supercharger Kit installation time is rated at 8.0 Hours of Labor. Turbos without a doubt have higher HP & Torque output but be prepared to fork out the $$$ when the wear and tear starts to show. It's bad enough BMW's have more normal breakdowns than most vehicles in the market.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #16
DucE46

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3 Convert
185? on a stock e46 m3? i have 150km and i got 155psi across all 6 is that ok?
DucE46 is offline   Reply With Quote