RUBBING: VarrsToen 19x9.5 / 19x11 - Yokohama AD08 Tires - HELP!!! - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Tire & Wheel Forum

Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
ventura_328Ci

My Ride: 03.5 LSB M3 / 06 ZHP
RUBBING: VarrsToen 19x9.5 / 19x11 - Yokohama AD08 Tires - HELP!!!

After two years of these wheels sitting in my basement, I finally mounted my VarrsToen ES 1.1.2 wheels on the M3 today. They look great, but they rub. Major disappointment. Here are the specs:

- 19x9.5 ET20 : 245/35/19 (Yokohama Advan AD08)
- 19x11 ET25 : 275/30/19 (Yokohama Advan AD08)

I've seen plenty of people fit these wheels with those same tire sizes. However, I've never seen anyone run Yokohama AD08's on them. These tires seem to run a bit wide, so they probably fit more like 255/35/19 and 285/30/19 tires of another brand. I do not want to run smaller tires, as I am not a fan of the stretched look.

The car was also lowered on Bilstein PSS9 coilovers by the previous owner. Measuring from the center of the wheel to the fender, the ride height appears to be 12.75" in the front, and 12.25" in the rear (though I am not sure how accurate my measuring techniques are). Is this considered very low? He also rolled the fenders.

The main issue is the rear wheel on the passenger side rubbing against the fender. Didn't even make it 1/2 mile before I had to turn around and drive home because it was so bad. I'm really bummed because even in that short distance, the rubbing caused some small chips of paint to flake off from the inner edge of the rolled fender. Would more negative camber be able to solve this problem? Currently running -1.8 degrees I believe.

Both front wheels also rub the plastic wheel liners / splash guards that mount to the back of the bumper during full lock turns. Is this always an issue with wide wheels and low offsets up front?

- Front (Driver): Minor rub over bumps
- Front (Passenger): Rubs
- Rear (Driver): Very minor rub over bumps
- Rear (Passenger): MAJOR RUB

What would you guys suggest that I do?

1.) Adjust the coilovers and raise the ride height? How much would they have to be raised to prevent such rubbing? The previous owner had the car corner balanced, so if I raise the height I assume it would have to be balanced again? I am extremely pleased with the handling of the car as it is; handles as if it were on rails. Would raising the ride height cause a decrease in performance?

2.) Add more negative camber?

3.) Roll the fenders more?

4.) Cut and seal the fenders?

5.) Sell the wheels and find a less aggressive setup?

Carbonio carbon fiber intake, Evosport pulleys
SS V1 Stepped Headers, SS cats, SS X-Pipe, custom muffler delete
Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, HPF subframe reinforcement
GSG Motorsports cross drilled/slotted rotors, StopTech pads, VarrsToen 1.1.2 wheels (19x9.5 ET20, 19x11 ET25)
OEM Euro bumper, Seibon CSL trunk, black kidney grills & side gills, smoked OEM LED taillights, smoked corner lights & sidemarkers

Last edited by ventura_328Ci; 08-07-2014 at 05:29 AM.
ventura_328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
ventura_328Ci

*I will try to take some pics tomorrow during the day and edit them into this post.*

GSG Motorsports cross drilled/slotted rotors, StopTech pads, VarrsToen 1.1.2 wheels (19x9.5 ET20, 19x11 ET25)
OEM Euro bumper, Seibon CSL trunk, black kidney grills & side gills, smoked OEM LED taillights, smoked corner lights & sidemarkers

Last edited by ventura_328Ci; 08-06-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
Hate to say it but I've been down this road and just sold the wheels so as not to deal with the headache. I think your only option would be to run the same tire but one size down. Some will probably say to go with more negative camber but anymore than what you have now will only cause uneven tire wear, which in turn means more tire purchases.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
ventura_328Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaLe39 View Post
Hate to say it but I've been down this road and just sold the wheels so as not to deal with the headache. I think your only option would be to run the same tire but one size down. Some will probably say to go with more negative camber but anymore than what you have now will only cause uneven tire wear, which in turn means more tire purchases.
I'm afraid this is what it might come down to. I don't understand why they made the offsets so aggressive. The setup would be perfect with 19x9.5 ET30-ish and 19x10.5 ET30-ish. Sucks that the 10.5" rears they initially released are so difficult to find now; don't understand why they would replace it with an 11" width.

Last edited by ventura_328Ci; 08-06-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:59 AM   #5
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: SG E46, SGM GTI
maybe sell the tires and get something that doesn't have such a square sidewall or drop down one size......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cd330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
ventura_328Ci

I found a great deal on an almost brand new set of satin black Apex ARC-8's (18x9.5 ET35 / 18x10 ET25) with tires, so I decided to replace the VarrsToen wheels with those. Seemed like the simplest and most convenient solution for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd330 View Post
maybe sell the tires and get something that doesn't have such a square sidewall or drop down one size......
I was thinking about dropping down to a 265/30/19, but I fear that even that size might still rub. And there's no way I would ever consider running a 255/30/19 on an 11" wheel!

What wheels are those in your sig, and what are their specs?

Last edited by ventura_328Ci; 08-11-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd330 View Post
this.. them advan tires are square as hell. get a regular tire. The specs u have should work fine with minimal issues, unless youre slammed to the ground... its the shape of the tire.
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz

Do you ride a
?
Do you have a question about Jamaica?

Last edited by Snik; 08-11-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:55 AM   #8
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventura_328Ci View Post
I was thinking about dropping down to a 265/30/19, but I fear that even that size might still rub. And there's no way I would ever consider running a 255/30/19 on an 11" wheel!

What wheels are those in your sig, and what are their specs?
They are the Varrstoen LM reps..... they are F 19x8.5 and R 19x9.5 with an ET 33. I am running a 265/30 tire in the rear. My fenders are cut and rolled.... however... I was running Nitto 555's in a 265 and they rubbed because they have a very square sidewall. I found another tire that has a rounder sidewall and don't really have any issues. I rub occasionally but not that often. My car is also a sedan, which doesn't have the room in the rear tire well like coupes do.

Last edited by cd330; 08-14-2014 at 02:02 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:59 AM   #9
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snik View Post
this.. them advan tires are square as hell. get a regular tire. The specs u have should work fine with minimal issues, unless youre slammed to the ground... its the shape of the tire.
Yep........