HELP!!! Valentine directwire install - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2004, 09:51 AM   #1
lonnie_20

My Ride: 2001 Dinan 330ci
Send a message via Yahoo to lonnie_20
Question HELP!!! Valentine directwire install

need help direct-wiring my V1...i followed all the instructions according to the manual and to http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_V1.htm ....still nothing. now my V1 wont even work with the lighter adapter....What shall i do?
lonnie_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
PDACPA

My Ride: 03 Dinan M3
Change the fuse. You blew the fuse.

2012 BMW 135i M Sport (Black)
Carrera 911 Guards Red (Garage Queen)
2003.5 BMW Dinan M3 (Black)-Sold
2002 BMW Dinan 330Ci (Steel Gray) - Sold
PDACPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 10:32 AM   #3
PDACPA

I did the same thing. Make sure all power is off until everything is wired up and you can test it. If the power is on when you hardwire, it blows the fuse (and not your V-1). Valentine sends you one spare fuse. I went and bought a little box of them and stuck them in my arm rest.

What Dinan mods do you have?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2004, 01:18 PM   #4
lonnie_20

you were absolutely right...problem solved....now here is the other thing....

how do i run the black phone wire from the headliner to the instrament cluster....i have the remote display, but i cant find a way to run the wire basically from the a piller to the display itself....
Old 04-03-2004, 02:02 PM   #5
PDACPA

Here is the answer, but if you did a for valentine you would have found the answer.

I went down the passenger A pillar. Tuck the black phone cord into the headliner along the windshield and then using a credit card, just press it into the gap between the A pillar and the windshield. When you get to the dash, you just have to push and sort of pull on the cord at the bottom to get it to slide into the gap. IT should be totally invisible. Then tuck it under the dash and the glove box. I am not sure if I had to zip tie under there or not.

Once you get to the console, just tuck it up under the edge until you are parallel to the ash tray. Take out your ash tray and pop the little clear window (for the light) out of it. I stuck something from the ash tray down through to the passenger side, taped the phone cord to the end and pulled it back out through the ash tray openning.

Now, the phone cord end will not fit through the ash tray openning. If you have (or know how to) crimpers, cut the phone cord connector off, shove it thru the ash tray openning where the plastic clear piece was, re-crimp a new end on, stick the velcro that came with the Valentine (it might have to be trimmed ) to the bottom of the remote display and the part of the ash tray closest to the shifter and mount the remote display inside. Re-insert the ash tray and stick the plastic window piece in your BMW owner manual case where the business cards go so you do not lose it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	v1remote.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	72534  

Old 04-03-2004, 04:17 PM   #6
lonnie_20

i did a search...and acutally read your directions...seem very concise...im trying to install the remote display on the driver's side in front of the intrament cluster...i have run the wire from the headliner all the way down to the junction of the a pillar, windshield, and dash...i just dont know how to get the wire from that point all the way to the cluster concealed....thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDACPA
Here is the answer, but if you did a for valentine you would have found the answer.

I went down the passenger A pillar. Tuck the black phone cord into the headliner along the windshield and then using a credit card, just press it into the gap between the A pillar and the windshield. When you get to the dash, you just have to push and sort of pull on the cord at the bottom to get it to slide into the gap. IT should be totally invisible. Then tuck it under the dash and the glove box. I am not sure if I had to zip tie under there or not.

Once you get to the console, just tuck it up under the edge until you are parallel to the ash tray. Take out your ash tray and pop the little clear window (for the light) out of it. I stuck something from the ash tray down through to the passenger side, taped the phone cord to the end and pulled it back out through the ash tray openning.

Now, the phone cord end will not fit through the ash tray openning. If you have (or know how to) crimpers, cut the phone cord connector off, shove it thru the ash tray openning where the plastic clear piece was, re-crimp a new end on, stick the velcro that came with the Valentine (it might have to be trimmed ) to the bottom of the remote display and the part of the ash tray closest to the shifter and mount the remote display inside. Re-insert the ash tray and stick the plastic window piece in your BMW owner manual case where the business cards go so you do not lose it.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:27 PM   #7
PDACPA

I have seen those ones installed on the cluster front. I just do not like them. They stick out like a sore thumb, a cop can see it easily and your steering wheel blocks the view.

This is the only way I would do the cluster install, but it means having a stick and I have a steptronic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gauges with-v1.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	72545  

Old 04-03-2004, 06:33 PM   #8
PDACPA

Is this what you are trying to do?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	v1oncluster.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	72546  

Old 04-03-2004, 06:34 PM   #9
PDACPA

No offense, but I like mine. Takes a bit getting used to glancing down when it goes off as opposed to looking at the main unit, but its totally hidden (the remote display). I can just close the ash tray door and no one sees it in there.

Old 04-03-2004, 09:01 PM   #10
lonnie_20

similar...im trying to mount the remote display in front of the cluster...velcroed to the ledge...

Quote:
I have seen those ones installed on the cluster front. I just do not like them. They stick out like a sore thumb, a cop can see it easily and your steering wheel blocks the view.

This is the only way I would do the cluster install, but it means having a stick and I have a steptronic.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:03 PM   #11
lonnie_20

yeah...im trying to do thread # 8....any help...thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie_20
similar...im trying to mount the remote display in front of the cluster...velcroed to the ledge...
Old 04-03-2004, 09:39 PM   #12
PDACPA

The only problem that I see with the way you want to do it is that you have the phone connector cord which sticks out the left side of the remote display unit. So if the unit is centered, when you look at it or someone looks in (1) you can see the display unit and (2) you see the cord sticking out which means you will see the cord disappearing into wherever you hide it. Its too bad Valentine didn't put the connector on the back, then it would be less noticeable.

You could align it on the left side of the cluster (I cannot find the picture, but I have seen it done that way and then the cord slips down the left side of the cluster side and between the glass and the plastic.

When I was looking at mine, I considered mounting it on the steering column. I did not go that route for the same reason of being able to see the cord.

Here is what a guy did in an Audi that I think is OEM looking and very sharp.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	audiv1.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	72560  

Old 04-03-2004, 11:38 PM   #13
lonnie_20

yeah...i want to mount it either on the right or left side of the cluster..just cant find a way to get the wire to either spot...

Quote:
The only problem that I see with the way you want to do it is that you have the phone connector cord which sticks out the left side of the remote display unit. So if the unit is centered, when you look at it or someone looks in (1) you can see the display unit and (2) you see the cord sticking out which means you will see the cord disappearing into wherever you hide it. Its too bad Valentine didn't put the connector on the back, then it would be less noticeable.

You could align it on the left side of the cluster (I cannot find the picture, but I have seen it done that way and then the cord slips down the left side of the cluster side and between the glass and the plastic.

When I was looking at mine, I considered mounting it on the steering column. I did not go that route for the same reason of being able to see the cord.

Here is what a guy did in an Audi that I think is OEM looking and very sharp.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:16 AM   #14
PDACPA

Do a search for cluster and valentine and pm one of the guys that has done it. I think I remember reading about how someone got it up there. You might have to pull your gauge cluster out to feed the wire. Thats a pretty basic thing; guys do it all the time to change their gauge faces.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #15
zactastic

My Ride: Merlin nonfixed gear
Send a message via AIM to zactastic
where is the telephone power unit? does my v1 have to be concealed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California." -Edward Abbey

"Learning from experience is a faculty almost never practiced." -Barbara Tuchman

...the mod bug got me and my Alpine 330ci;there's a list somewhere...
zactastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #16
PDACPA

Nothing like reviving a 4 yr old thread.

Where are you trying to connect to? In my M3 (and 330Ci) I used the garage door openner power up in the ceiling.

Why would you not want it concealed? No one knows you have it, which helps for theft and keeps "barney" from seeing it if you get pulled over.

Here is my current set up.

The V-1 is up by the mirror, powered off the garage door openner. The r11 cord is in the headliner down the passenger A pillar under the dash to the ash tray which houses the remote V-1 display and the display and switch for my Blinder Laser difuser (whose main units are in the front grill).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	v-1mount.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	276172   Click image for larger version

Name:	V-1rembld.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	276173