DYI: Ashtray garage opener switch complete - Page 11 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #201
Kmoy2002

My Ride: 2002tii, 540i, 330i
^ You're saying you want to run two functions on one button? Not possible as the garage button is a momentary switch and the angel eyes are on/off switch. You can wire them together but there is no point in doing so. You should just purchase two separate buttons.

PS
Just completed this mod today. I added some connectors so I can remove the remote to replace the battery or whatever. To all those who are purchasing new remotes, just open yours up and solder the wires onto the two pins on the switch. My remote had four pins; I figured out which pins activated the door by using a wire to bridge the connections.

$2.69 w/o tax
P/N 275-0644
SPST Momentary Switch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kmoy2002; 07-31-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Kmoy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #202
packrat555

My Ride: 2001 325i
I modded my window lock switch to turn on and off my angel eyes

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...stealth+switch
packrat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #203
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Why not just wire another toggle switch for the angel eyes? I mounted one beneath the steering wheel, real easy to do. It's shorter to run plus you don't have to disable the windows when you disable the angel eyes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Amoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #204
vert

My Ride: MINI Cooper Hatch
Send a message via AIM to vert
Very cool and effective cheap DIY. Added the radioshack switch into the ashtray as OP. I soldered the wires on to the existing opener, cut into its plastic to get the wires out and snapped back the opener cover just like it was before. There is plenty of room for it to sit by the shifter area. It is also easy to replace the battery although I installed a new one anyway so it should be good for the many years.

One problem was that every time I would snap the cover together, my door would start opening and closing randomly. Turns out that the wires were stripped just enough that when you snapped the cover closed they would touch the board at random spots and cause this crazy behavior. A little tape around the two wires next to the soldered points solved that.

The other issue was that I picked up that grommet mentioned in this thread. I cut it into two halves so basically just had a thin rubber washer between the switch and the ashtray. It looked great, i installed it and was very happy until i closed the ashtray lid and the door started to close again. Apparently, the washer (half of the grommet) was just thick enough to raise the switch where it would be triggered every time the lid was closed. Annoying.... Cut that thing off and went back to the OP design and all is well. Not sure what i did wrong with that grommet or maybe the clearances are slightly different in models, but it did not work for me. Who cares though - it looks great without it anyway.

Like everyone else said - very cool and satisfying mod. I was looking for the homelink but don't feel like paying 70+ when i can have the same functionality for a lot less.
vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #205
johnt1436

My Ride: M3
I just did this mod today. I went to Radio Shack, bought all the parts and started soldering. Very easy, and it looks really nice - much better than having that ugly garage door opener in my center tray.

Thanks again to the OP and everyone else who added to this thread!

John

2001 M3 Convertible, Carbon Black - Daily Driver
2007 328i Convertible, Atlantic Blue - Wife's car
2003 X5 4.4i - Grocery-getter
johnt1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #206
Amoeba

7+ years and battery is still going strong. Range is the same.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #207
Tate325xi

My Ride: 428i cabrio
Just did this. Wasn't very difficult, and looks much better. Great DIY.

Quote:
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #208
Rathbone

My Ride: Space Shuttle
Is it just me or is there not one single working picture in this whole thread?
Rathbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #209
Amoeba

Looks like my old host croaked. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #210
Rathbone

What does this look like? Is there some kind of faceplate - if so how is it attached? I can handle the wiring, but I want the install to look OEM. I'd like to make something for 2 power outlets and maybe the door opener. If there were a blank that fit the opening and I could just drill holes in that, it would be ideal. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #211
Amoeba

Let me take some pics later. It's a simple momentary switch in the ashtray, does not look out of place at all and no drilling.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #212
Amoeba

Post #42 and on has some pictures. Here's one:

Old 03-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #213
PDACPA

My Ride: 03 Dinan M3
Post #43

Here is mine. No garage door opener (have the homelink up by the sunroof switch).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDACPAv1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	442226  

2012 BMW 135i M Sport (Black)
Carrera 911 Guards Red (Garage Queen)
2003.5 BMW Dinan M3 (Black)-Sold
2002 BMW Dinan 330Ci (Steel Gray) - Sold
PDACPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #214
Rathbone

Thanks! It looks good! I can't believe you just found a button the right size for that hole. Nice job.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #215
PDACPA

My Ride: 03 Dinan M3
I took the ash tray out. That is a custom plate I had made. And the door closes to hide the V1 display

2012 BMW 135i M Sport (Black)
Carrera 911 Guards Red (Garage Queen)
2003.5 BMW Dinan M3 (Black)-Sold
2002 BMW Dinan 330Ci (Steel Gray) - Sold
PDACPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #216
Amoeba

Fixed my image host. Pictures in the front page are up again.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #217
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Just finished this, great idea!

I substituted a generic homelink control from eBay and wired the power to the cigarette lighter. This one fit perfectly wedged down the side of the shifter area. The range isn't great, yet its far better than paying $200+ for a vert square mirror with homelink buttons, or trying to hack my oval mirror to move the vert antennas over to the square mirror.

taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote