Oil Speculators To Blame For Record Gas Prices After All [w/vid] - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
Oil Speculators To Blame For Record Gas Prices After All [w/vid]

[Deserves to be a new thread]

This is absurd. Did you need to be some economic guru to realize that they were gouging the F outta us? Thanks to everyone that was so confident that it was merely supply and demand at work.

Quote:
If you thought oil speculators as the reason behind the historic gas prices spikes of this summer was debunked, think again. From '07 to when the price of oil collapsed, supply increased and demand dropped. According to basic economic theory, this should've meant the price went down. But all of a sudden an influx of capital, an infusion that brought the total at play from $13 billion to $300 billion, brought to market by large investment bankers, exploiting de-regulation and trading in black box private exchanges made possible by Enron, drove the price of oil from $69 to almost $150. A new 60 Minutes report explores the issue. Video inside.

Quote:
"Who was responsible for deregulating the oil future market?" Kroft asked Michael Greenberger.

"You'd have to say Enron," he replied. "This was something they desperately wanted, and they got."

///Asked why they wanted a deregulated market in oil futures, Greenberger said, "Because they wanted to establish their own little energy futures exchange through computerized trading. They knew that if they could get this trading engine established without the controls that had been placed on speculators, they would have the ability to drive the price of energy products in any way they wanted to take it."

"When Enron failed, we learned that Enron, and its conspirators who used their trading engine, were able to drive the price of electricity up, some say, by as much as 300 percent on the West Coast," he added.

"Is the same thing going on right now in the oil business?" Kroft asked.

"Every Enron trader, who knew how to do these manipulations, became the most valuable employee on Wall Street," Greenberger said.

But some of them may now be looking for work. The oil bubble began to deflate early last fall when Congress threatened new regulations and federal agencies announced they were beginning major investigations. It finally popped with the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers and the near collapse of AIG, who were both heavily invested in the oil markets. With hedge funds and investment houses facing margin calls, the speculators headed for the exits.

"From July 15th until the end of November, roughly $70 billion came out of commodities futures from these index funds," Masters explained. "In fact, gasoline demand went down by roughly five percent over that same period of time. Yet the price of crude oil dropped more than $100 a barrel. It dropped 75 percent."

Asked how he explains that, Masters said, "By looking at investors, that's the only way you can explain it."

http://consumerist.com/5129731/video...ices-after-all

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
deuxslow

My Ride: w203 c230 / e36 325
no $hit...
deuxslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
ghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxslow View Post
no $hit...
Exactly. I'm waiting for all of those ppl that claimed, in the numerous threads on the sbuject, "it's just supply and demand!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
CMT1729

... this is coming from the same people who reported that a CDS as a "complex derivative instrument only to be understood by a few".

"What's all this I hear about a brownie in motion?" - Accountant
CMT1729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
dmoeller17

My Ride: 350Z
Send a message via AIM to dmoeller17
so everything 60 min says is true, give me a break

dmoeller17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoeller17 View Post

'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
ghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoeller17 View Post
Gonna talk sh!t about the MIT study that 60 Min reported on in that segment, too? Oh that's right, you probably paid no attention. gtfo

Quote:

Last edited by ghorn; 01-13-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
SamXp

My Ride: 2011 WRX
Send a message via ICQ to SamXp
We need to start taking names for everyone that backed this type of deregulation and watch them very, very closely in the next ten years (within the law, of course). I smelled BS way back when it started and if you still think futures are a good idea, then you deserve McCarthy-esque levels of scrutiny.

They might have been a good idea back when Farmer Joe had a hard time selling his crops one year and had a surplus the next year, but the concept is obsolete in nearly every modern market. Allowing investors to buy up future production of something that is in as high demand as oil is asinine.
SamXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
dniper71

My Ride: A car
Looks like these huge investment banks set up a nice system for themselves (with the help of congress of course) where information which can possibly lead to accountability for manipulating the market is impossible to get. How convinient.
dniper71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
it was supply and demand

Quote:
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
At first I believed it was supply and demand but the prices kept climbing. I don't know why no one says anything or does anything until after the fact? Oil tycoon for President, this was a given..

What makes we wonder is why the oil companies screwed GM with high gas prices when both GM and Oil worked together to rid electric cars and the only automakers to benefit from this where foreign as they had already prepared hybrids for production..lol America failed on this one, hard.

Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
ghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco savage View Post
it was supply and demand

Quote:
Old 01-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
coco savage

My Ride: 325i

Quote:
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #15
motoracergabe

My Ride: Everything
mother fvckers

motoracergabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
bimmerbum46

My Ride: sweet pair of Vans
Send a message via AIM to bimmerbum46
Thats what happens when the President and his family owns 80% of the oil in the Country and says theres a supply shortage Bush is a crook

bimmerbum46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #17
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
At first I believed it was supply and demand but the prices kept climbing. I don't know why no one says anything or does anything until after the fact? Oil tycoon for President, this was a given..
I just can't get over the fact how dumbfounded he looked at the mention of $4 gas. "$4 Gas. I haven't heard that. That's news to me."

If I hadn't lost respect for him prior to that, that moment would have done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
What makes we wonder is why the oil companies screwed GM with high gas prices when both GM and Oil worked together to rid electric cars and the only automakers to benefit from this where foreign as they had already prepared hybrids for production..lol America failed on this one, hard.
Greed? Probably weighed personal short-term gains against long term company success and the former won?

'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #18
Brandon26pdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco savage View Post
it was supply and demand
Yeah, the big investment banks were demanding more profit, and us sorry saps were supplying it to them.
Brandon26pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #19
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Regardless, I think we still need to push for more alternative sources of energy. I really hope the drop in gas doesn't detract from meeting those objectives.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #20
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
I just can't get over the fact how dumbfounded he looked at the mention of $4 gas. "$4 Gas. I haven't heard that. That's news to me."

If I hadn't lost respect for him prior to that, that moment would have done it.

Greed? Probably weighed personal short-term gains against long term company success and the former won?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
Regardless, I think we still need to push for more alternative sources of energy. I really hope the drop in gas doesn't detract from meeting those objectives.
You know where I stand politically but I was blown away when McCain and Bush suggested digging for more oil What kind of water head retard would suggest dumping money into more oil and not into electric vehicles? Everything is so political and big oil controls everyone in office. Instead of electric vehicles, congress was pushing for Hydrogen vehciles- wtf? It would require a whole new infrastructure of pipeline and processes and would cost a sh1t ton but would keep the oil businesses in business. It is so stupid, the obvious move is electric. Washington is fighting teeth and nail from that happening. That's the problem with America man, we are going down with old industries instead of creating new ones.

Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote