E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Coolant brands?

4K views 43 replies 25 participants last post by  Jagdtiger 
#1 ·
I’ve heard that the e46 is very touchy with any other kind of coolant other than the specific Bmw brand but what actually happens if you were to put a different coolant in even if it is still “safe for bmws”?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

#34 ·
Just because someone uses a green antifreeze doesn't mean they buy cheap autozone parts for their car or don't maintain the car at all.As I stated earlier I use Peak and I buy most all of my parts from FCP and the Peak antifreeze has caused no problems whatsoever for me.

#37 · (Edited)
@smolck- relax.my statement was more of stating my experience and asking you what yours was that's all .Hope your not upset...I understand all of this is drawn on experience yours and others, but I hope you understand that in MY field , our practice is Based on EVIDENCE BASED medicine not on EXPERIENCE. I wish you understand why I just can't accept what articles and people have to say with out comparative studies on multiple subjects(in this case cars) long term over a period of years with controlled variables.
I do work on my own cars for fun and have less experience than most of you.
I use OEm parts from Bavuto and FCP .
I am running on my (#2) second set of coolant parts when usually after the expansion tank cracks. I don't overhaul the cooling system every 70k miles.
I would also like to point out to the OP that the brands used other than bmw albeit a different color- are amine phosphate silicate and nitrite free...as is the the case with bmw coolant ,mixed strictly with distilled water.This is key- IMHO

Merry Christmas !!Peace!

#42 ·
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Somebody said it was hard to find. :hmm: Even if you don't live anywhere near a BMW dealer or purveyor of OE BMW parts there is this intarweb thang called Amazon that will deliver it to you. And if the argument is that the "green stuff" is cheaper? :lmao: I guess you really needed to save that dollar and thirteen cents over OE, and considering you change the coolant out every 7 years, that can add up to a lotta dough man, fo realz.:rolleyes:

I'd rather not mix the coolants thank you very much. Don't care how much research somebody wasted their time doing to prove that green coolant doesn't hurt. We know OE BMW coolant doesn't harm anything and we didn't need to do any research to gain this knowledge. People will almost go out of their way to be contrarian and complicate everything these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.