E46 Fanatics Forum banner

SMG under-dash/instrument panel clutch switch connectors

842 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Papermaker 
#1 ·
Hi--

I've just about finished a SMG to Manual M3 conversion. I purchased a ’04 SMG M3 last fall from a local dealer after it stopped moving under its own power (it was thought that the SMG pump failed). While removing the transmission I found that real reason the car stopped moving, mice had chewed through the SMG harness wires at the transmission and clutch hydraulic actuators. I’d already ordered the parts and decided to complete the conversion even though I could have fixed the mice damage wiring and driven the car as an SMG. So, to keep the project moving, I repaired the mice damaged harness and left it in the car. I also purchased a manual transmission harness, planning to swap it in after I had the car back on the road (I purchased the manual harness to sidestep any issues related to the mice damaged/repaired original). The car runs and drives well after coding by a local Tech.

Last week I installed the manual harnesses and everything works normally except the clock now displays “** ll **”. The only thing left to do is to finish the clutch switch/cruise control function. I originally hardwired the clutch switch power, ground and EWS wires and pulled the cruise control wire up to the e-box. Now here’s the question, has anyone ever heard of or seen clutch switch connectors in the under-dash harness on a SMG M3? While the tech was coding the car he mentioned that the manual and SMG dash/instrument panel wiring harnesses are the same and that both include clutch position switch connectors (his comment makes perfect sense to me). So, it should be simple to connect the dash/instrument and clutch switch harness connectors together (I’d still have to hardwire in the EWS wire). Now, according to the tech all I have to do was find the tied back dash/instrument harness clutch switch connectors and connect them to the clutch switch harness (the Tech also said that the EWS wire is tied back into the harness somewhere near the EWS connector).

I’ve spent most of the day looking for the tied back connectors without any luck! I’ve read a lot of threads describing the SMG to manual swap and I’ve never seen a comment about using the existing dash/instrument panel connectors to wire in the clutch switch! Has anyone read or run across a SMG conversion that used the existing instrument harness to connect their clutch position switches? Does anyone have access to a under dash harness that they can check/find the connectors if they are there (pictures would be great!)? Also, if possible, can someone with a manual transmission M3 check which way the clutch switch harness is routed, does it enter the dash harness along the firewall or does it join the instrument panel harness?

Any help would be really appreciated,

Thanks!

Papermaker

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.