Service Advice - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
FenderGuy05

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Service Advice

Okay, so I'm coming up on the 100k mile marker, and feel that it's time for some service. I am pretty sure I know what needs to be done, but want some overall advice.

I purchased my 325i back in October, with 93k on the odometer. Has been running great, and couldn't be more in love with my car. Before lurking and then posting on these forums I would never have even thought of DIYing anything on a BMW, but I have done all my own mods, and feel that I'm up for the challange of some mechanical work.

After some insisting I was able to get some service history from the previous owners dealership, and from the looks of it, never had the water pump changed, which worries me, but has had the thermostat done twice, and the expansion tank once.

I'm thining first order of business is to tackle the cooling system, found a good DIY on 330ci.net that was posted in one of these forums, and looks pretty well written. I was also thinking it's time for a new set of plugs at the 100k mark. I haven't gone digging too far in for any oil leaks, but was thinking I'd change the OFHG and VCG some time in the next few thousand miles. And of course and oil change.

Is there anything else I should be concerned about? I know with my previous truck, disctibutor cap and wires needed changing at 100k, but haven't read anything about changing the igntion coils at 100k.

What do you guys think is first on the list? What can be held off on? (What should I take it to an indy for, since I have little to no experience working on cars before this one) To do the work I have to drive about 90minutes to my parents house since my apartment complex allows for no engine work of any kind on the property.

I love the forums and the wealth of information that's available, and if it weren't for you guys, my car would still be stock, and I would be paying outratgeous prices for work.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.569 mu
Year: 99
Model: 328i
Transmission: 5-spd
wp isn't a bad idea. If therm has been done twice and ET once, you might be good, but safest is cooling overhaul, of course...do it all...and belts...and pulleys. Plugs, ngks I'm sure you know. Coils no.

CABs maybe if you have symptoms. Consider guibo. Check things underneath for obvious issues.

If doing vcg, than vanos seals--you're right there.

Fuel filter, air filter, cabin air filter, wiper inserts. Check on ccv.

Use LL-01 oil please so I don't have to yell at you.

Oh, at some point, get down to throttle body...clean it, icv, replace tb gasket, lower intake boot, check all the vac hoses you see. Check your sap hose too.

(Oh, if one pulley is bad, do all three--just make sure you know what types of tensioners you have--they take different pulleys.)

Then, just read more fanatics and you'll be good! You sound like you could be the one...like what's his name in the Matrix. Are you?

Brand new unlisted vid just for you.

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
Unless I missed it, if it's an automatic, change the fluid. Many hours of reading on these discussions on what fluid to use (For my ZF, I used the VW version of the stock brew, but there are options).
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
Sansho

Quote:
...if one pulley is bad, do all three--just make sure you know what types of tensioners you have--they take different pulleys.
Doesn't the a/c tensioner and the mechanical tensioner that hasn't been upgraded to the hydraulic one use the same pulley? A Dayco 89133 replacement pulley?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.569 mu
Year: 99
Model: 328i
Transmission: 5-spd
Mechanical gets one pulley, hydraulic has a different pulley. I think 89133 is right for the mechanical, but don't quote me...I did have a post on it recently though...search me, '89133' 'mechanical' and I bet it'll come up. Dayco pulleys from Autozone...call with dayco pulley numbers to see if they have them, if not, order them. You probably don't need the tensioners themselves.

Brand new unlisted vid just for you.

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Sansho

Dayco pulley is available from Amazon.com for $23 and Autozone (Duralast brand, same pulley) for $30, more expensive at Advance Auto Parts, as I recall.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
FenderGuy05

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
wp isn't a bad idea. If therm has been done twice and ET once, you might be good, but safest is cooling overhaul, of course...do it all...and belts...and pulleys. Plugs, ngks I'm sure you know. Coils no.

CABs maybe if you have symptoms. Consider guibo. Check things underneath for obvious issues.

If doing vcg, than vanos seals--you're right there.

Fuel filter, air filter, cabin air filter, wiper inserts. Check on ccv.

Use LL-01 oil please so I don't have to yell at you.

Oh, at some point, get down to throttle body...clean it, icv, replace tb gasket, lower intake boot, check all the vac hoses you see. Check your sap hose too.

(Oh, if one pulley is bad, do all three--just make sure you know what types of tensioners you have--they take different pulleys.)

Then, just read more fanatics and you'll be good! You sound like you could be the one...like what's his name in the Matrix. Are you?
Yeah, I figure since my knowledge of what's been done on this car is somewhat limited, I may as well do the full overhaul, especially if I'm already doing the WP. I'll also check if I have any oil leaking from the OFHG to see if it's necessary asap or if I can hold off.

I plan on doing everything I can in one day, since I usually don't have more then that off of work at a time. And obviously anything else will be taken care of soon thereafter.

Cabin air filter was just done, will do the air filter, is the fuel filter dificult? Never changed one of these before on any car?

And I am having some wierd idle issues that I think may be ICV related, so that'll be getting cleaned while I'm in there. Just use throttle body cleaner for the ICV as well right?

And I don't think I'm Neo dmax, but thanks for the compliment?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Mango
E46Mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
As soon as I saw DMAX's mention of the pulleys, I remembered to order the Dayco. Here's the link in case anyone needs it:

Amazon.com - Dayco Pulley