FYI: Mechanical Fan to Electric Fan Swap - Page 23 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 06-14-2016, 10:14 PM   #441
AJP330i

My Ride: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire730 View Post
Sounds like it's out of balance.

I've seen some fans come with a little clip attached to one of the blades. Did you happen to remove that during installation by mistake?

I was thinking out of balance as well.. Took the fan out today to check it and everything "looked" ok. Going to call ECS Tuning tomorrow.. Maybe they will help me out since it is only a couple months old..

"Carpe Diem, Seize the Carp"
AJP330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #442
Pro325ie46

My Ride: 2004 BMW E46 325xi
Found a Bosch electric fan at pull-a-part for $15 off a manual. I inspected it thoroughly and theres no signs of cracking, fan spins easily, no fading, no corrosion. Looks in superb condition. Would it be worth swapping in?
Pro325ie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:54 PM   #443
e46mikel

My Ride: e46 04 330ci
wanting to do this, but first would like to know the pros and cons, thanks yall!!
e46mikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #444
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
wanting to do this, but first would like to know the pros and cons, thanks yall!!
Search is a useful function on this site. But off the top of my head, in no particular order ...
  • Removing the fan and fan clutch off the engine reduces weight that the engine has to spin around, and removes the fan clutch, which can fail
  • The engine mounted fan has been known to self destruct, sending blade(s) into the radiator, hood, sometimes due to bad engine mounts.
  • Removing the auxiliary front mounted fan opens up direct airflow to the radiator (recommend covering the front of the radiator with black aluminum screen door mesh, to keep bugs and crud from clogging the radiator fins)
  • Removal helps with access to the engine
  • The replacement electric fan uses the same connectors to the engine computer as the front mounted fan, so no other mods are needed for this to work
  • I have a Bosch fan, and another choice is Behr, also OEM. You don't have to buy BMW, however, I also wouldn't get the cheapest no-name I could find.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #445
e46mikel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
Search is a useful function on this site. But off the top of my head, in no particular order ...
  • Removing the fan and fan clutch off the engine reduces weight that the engine has to spin around, and removes the fan clutch, which can fail
  • The engine mounted fan has been known to self destruct, sending blade(s) into the radiator, hood, sometimes due to bad engine mounts.
  • Removing the auxiliary front mounted fan opens up direct airflow to the radiator (recommend covering the front of the radiator with black aluminum screen door mesh, to keep bugs and crud from clogging the radiator fins)
  • The replacement electric fan uses the same connectors to the engine computer as the front mounted fan, so no other mods are needed for this to work
  • I have a Bosch fan, and another choice is Behr, also OEM. You don't have to buy BMW, however, I also wouldn't get the cheapest no-name I could find.
Thank you for all the info!! another quick question i have is does the electrical fan emit as much coolness(fan speed) and does it run right when you turn car on like the mechanical fan?(and stay on) is the aux fan the one closess to the bumper and when does that run? and its purpose?
Old 06-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #446
Solidjake
Shifting

My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
Many many members with this swap have no issues on the hottest summer days with AC on even in Vegas or Florida.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #447
e46mikel

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Many many members with this swap have no issues on the hottest summer days with AC on even in Vegas or Florida.
Awesome! glad to hear! so when you swap your mech fan for electrical, you have to do a aux fan delete/removal was reading on another thread

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=884299

"NOTE ABOUT THE FAN DELETE MOD: This should really be called the one for two fan replacement mod because at the end of the mod your steptronic/automatic E46 car will have the exact one electric fan set up that the manual cars all have.

When done correctly the electric fan has been successfully transplanted to replace both the original mechanical and auxiliary fans on steptronic/automatic E46 vehicles.

It is important to understand that for the electrical fan to work properly both the original mechanical and auxiliary fans MUST first be removed, or deleted, from the car."
Old 06-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #448
Sansho

There is only one ECU controlled fan in the e46. Either the one in front of the bumper on auto transmission or the one next to the engine with manual transmission. There are 4 inputs that determine when the electrical fan is turned on (I've posted those a few times). As solidjake said, this has been done many times, and I don't recall anyone, especially in Florida, Nevada, and Southern California reporting any issues due to the conversion.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #449
e46mikel

Quote:
There is only one ECU controlled fan in the e46. Either the one in front of the bumper on auto transmission or the one next to the engine with manual transmission. There are 4 inputs that determine when the electrical fan is turned on (I've posted those a few times). As solidjake said, this has been done many times, and I don't recall anyone, especially in Florida, Nevada, and Southern California reporting any issues due to the conversion.
Thank you, im not worried about swapping from mech to electrical fan, after taking out the mech fan and the fan shroud its just plugand play with the electric fan. I dont want to remove aux fan how do i do the delete?

Last edited by e46mikel; 06-17-2017 at 11:09 AM. Reason: changed question a bit
Old 06-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #450
Sansho

Quote:
... I dont want to remove aux fan how do i do the delete?
When you replace the mechanical fan with the electric fan, you unplug the aux fan in front of the bumper, in order to plug in the new electric fan behind the radiator. If you don't want to remove the aux fan, it will just stay there, blocking direct flow air to the radiator.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #451
e46mikel

so what i unplug from the aux fan connects to the electrical fan?
Old 06-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #452
Sansho

This thread should answer your questions.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:37 PM   #453
e46mikel

i got the mechanical fan clutch remover tool, would i be able to swap the mech fan with the eletrical one, and drive it roughly 5 miles to my indy and have them remove the aux fan? Id like to do it this way to avoid having to remove front bumper for aux fan, and having to pay for the whole service when i already have the tool. Thanks guys!!!
Old 07-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #454
Sansho

Quote:
i got the mechanical fan clutch remover tool, would i be able to swap the mech fan with the eletrical one, and drive it roughly 5 miles to my indy and have them remove the aux fan? Id like to do it this way to avoid having to remove front bumper for aux fan, and having to pay for the whole service when i already have the tool. Thanks guys!!!
When you hook up the new electrical fan behind the radiator, the front aux fan no longer is working, only the newly added fan. So yes, you can drive to your indy.

You might want to buy some black aluminum door screening (Home Depot, Lowes, probably even Walmart), so while your indy has the bumper and aux fan off, he can put the black door screening in front of the radiator, which helps keeps bugs and other stuff from getting caught in the radiator fins. It goes in front and you run a few wires on each side to hold it on. You can do it yourself with the bumper on, but it's so much easier with the bumper off.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:48 PM   #455
e46mikel

Quote:
When you hook up the new electrical fan behind the radiator, the front aux fan no longer is working, only the newly added fan. So yes, you can drive to your indy.

You might want to buy some black aluminum door screening (Home Depot, Lowes, probably even Walmart), so while your indy has the bumper and aux fan off, he can put the black door screening in front of the radiator, which helps keeps bugs and other stuff from getting caught in the radiator fins. It goes in front and you run a few wires on each side to hold it on. You can do it yourself with the bumper on, but it's so much easier with the bumper off.
AWESOME!!!! i will be buying a eletrical fan soon and will get some aluminum door screening as well. so to get the eletrical fan working do i conect the two wires that i disconnected from the mech fan and plug those in to the eletric fan? Do i disconnect anything wires from aux fan and if so where is that located? Thanks
Old 07-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #456
Sansho

Quote:
AWESOME!!!! i will be buying a eletrical fan soon and will get some aluminum door screening as well. so to get the eletrical fan working do i conect the two wires that i disconnected from the mech fan and plug those in to the eletric fan? Do i disconnect anything wires from aux fan and if so where is that located? Thanks
This thread should answer your questions.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:25 PM   #457
kangsulap

Hi guys, sorry for bumping the old thread. I know from more than 20 pages I have read that this mod works perfectly awesome for E46 with Auto tranny in Florida, Vegas, and several US states with hot weather.

However, I live in the equator area in Indonesia, with 37-39 Celcius deg during the day with quite heavy traffic. Do you think this mod will still work? And also, do the same "plug n play" applies to E39?

I had 2001 525 E39. Currently I had DME tuned to open e thermostat when oil temp goes 100.5 deg C and Coolant Target temperature set to 98 deg C.

Thanks

Last edited by kangsulap; 02-27-2019 at 09:27 PM.
kangsulap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #458
Icarus_Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangsulap View Post
Hi guys, sorry for bumping the old thread. I know from more than 20 pages I have read that this mod works perfectly awesome for E46 with Auto tranny in Florida, Vegas, and several US states with hot weather.

However, I live in the equator area in Indonesia, with 37-39 Celcius deg during the day with quite heavy traffic. Do you think this mod will still work? And also, do the same "plug n play" applies to E39?

I had 2001 525 E39. Currently I had DME tuned to open e thermostat when oil temp goes 100.5 deg C and Coolant Target temperature set to 98 deg C.

Thanks
Mine is e46 325i 2000. Imho its not suitable in Medan. The electric fan put my engine at maks temperature allowed by DME. Mine is 96C and the electric holds that temperature till thermostat full open at 97C. I think 96C is my working engine temperature at maks allowed, i got 96C almost all the time before tstat open. So i switched back to manual clutch fan yesterday and i rarely saw 96C on my OBC gauge, 94C and less mostly.
Icarus_Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #459
sanagnostaras

My Ride: 2005 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_Dream View Post
Mine is e46 325i 2000. Imho its not suitable in Medan. The electric fan put my engine at maks temperature allowed by DME. Mine is 96C and the electric holds that temperature till thermostat full open at 97C. I think 96C is my working engine temperature at maks allowed, i got 96C almost all the time before tstat open. So i switched back to manual clutch fan yesterday and i rarely saw 96C on my OBC gauge, 94C and less mostly.

Well I mean the car is supposed to be at 97 or so so what is your point? You want it running at 94?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
sanagnostaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #460
lennylen

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZHP
Well I did this swap today and couple issues....

At idle I'm usually at 96 97. When I start driving (normally) it's anywhere between 97-99. If I floor it temps can exceed 105 . The gauge is in the middle which I know is not a reliable source of measurement .

These tests were done with the AC on. Does this seem normal? I've tested the fan with inpa and seems to be spinning and working at high speeds. The DME doesn't seem to kick the fan into high gear , it usually sits at 50% on a hot day even at higher temps.

And yes the front aux fan has been removed. Not sure what's going on here ..or if this is normal behaviour.

Is there a way to tell the DME to run the fan at higher speeds when it reaches 99C?

Can anyone else chime in? I'm thinking about going back to the mechanical fan but can't stand the noise it makes!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by lennylen; 07-11-2019 at 05:06 PM.
lennylen is offline   Reply With Quote