Steering wheel play. How I found the cure. - Page 11 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 87 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #201
TEEBEE

My Ride: 2001 330 CI
What a difference a little $48 part can do. The job took me about 30 minutes. You could not tell the steering coupler is bad by looking at it but after I swaped the old one for the new one I took the car to the highway and drove 110mph the car was straight as an arrow. befor the swap the car was all over the road. 93,000 miles steering feels brand new.
TEEBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #202
e46craze
Euro.Techniks

My Ride: ESS TS2 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to e46craze
I see that alot of people are replacing this piece...does this only apply to cars that have alot of miles?...I'm at 26K and I have minimal play in my steering....steering doesnt feel tight as it should be..

|ESS TS2|Bimmerbrakes Powdercoated Headers|MB Quart|Memphis|3.46 DIFF
//M3 Control Arms|Orion V2 LED|6K D2S|8K Fogs|//M3 Shift Knob|Eurospec Hamann Front Lip|OEM Cross Drilled Rotors|UUC Stage 3 Clutch/Flywheel|Black Roof|VMR 710s|Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec|Hotchkis Front Sway
FULL I.C.E FOR SALE - PM ME FOR DETAILS (Only Serious Buyers Only)
e46craze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #203
ThosEM

My Ride: 330Ci convertible
Send a message via AIM to ThosEM
Just want to report another happy customer with this thread. The part is up to $56 now, with shipping, but it is worth its weight in gold (doesn't weigh too much!). Gives you that 'like new' feeling of tightness. I'm sure glad it was not the rack!
ThosEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #204
e46craze
Euro.Techniks

My Ride: ESS TS2 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to e46craze
heres an update. I had my car out on thursday and weather was a little cooler and my steering felt tight...my bmw tech advised me that it might be the psi in my tires....damn if this is my culprit all along

|ESS TS2|Bimmerbrakes Powdercoated Headers|MB Quart|Memphis|3.46 DIFF
//M3 Control Arms|Orion V2 LED|6K D2S|8K Fogs|//M3 Shift Knob|Eurospec Hamann Front Lip|OEM Cross Drilled Rotors|UUC Stage 3 Clutch/Flywheel|Black Roof|VMR 710s|Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec|Hotchkis Front Sway
FULL I.C.E FOR SALE - PM ME FOR DETAILS (Only Serious Buyers Only)
e46craze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #205
gfeiner

My Ride: 2003 330i
FYI,

The BMW TIS documents for replacing the steering spindle joint say to replace the external torx screws instead of reusing them. Docs attached. Notice the words "replace clamping screw". That literally means "replace, don't reuse" in BMW speak. This is repeated in the torque specs.
gfeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #206
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
finally ordered the part from tischer
bumping in case this thread might help somebody

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:35 PM   #207
hardybob

My Ride: 03 ZHP Sedan
a GREAT post. i had play in the steering wheel and had the dealer check it while in for extended maintenance. they told me the control bushings were bad and wanted $550 to replace them. I bought the HD ones and installed myself in a couple of hours (didn't have the right 3 jaw puller so an hour to get the old ones off). Still had the play in the steering wheel. was told that i probably had a bad steering rack while is $$$$. after reading this thread i checked the flexible coupler and found that it definitely has alot of play and is basically worn out. new one is coming and i'm positive this will restore the tight steering. thanks to all. bob
hardybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #208
Chriztofor

My Ride: 2000 323i (Auto)
Nice post!!!!!! Thank you!
For most BMW problems start off by reading your codes using a peake research tool. Note, as mentioned by other members, although Autozone checks your codes for free they use a generic OBDII tool that does not have the BMW specific fault codes.
Chriztofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:23 AM   #209
Be.M.w.e46

My Ride: 323ci
WoW, what an amazing thread. I am having problems with my steering too! Any thing above 60mph and it feels like you are fighting cross winds!
The stearing doesn't feel tight at all. Not noticed any knocks though, or strange noises, is there a way of checking this part visually? my car is a 2000 323ci with 117k on the clock. Was told the vauge steering was due to the 18"alloys, but i don't believe that!
Be.M.w.e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #210
hardybob

update: replaced the steering coupler last week and it solved the loose steering problem. vauxfan, i think it was already mentioned, but an easy way to check is to jack up the driver's side of the car and put a jack stand under it for safety, and have someone turn the steering wheel very slightly each direction while you look at the coupler. it can be seen through the control arm on the driver's side with a flashlight. if it's bad you will see movement where the rivets are mounted. the rubber wears out and gets sloppy. atleast that is what mine looked like.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #211
hardybob

just thought i would make another note. when i called the dealer locally to order the part ($65 retail, $41 BMWCCA member price), they told me that they had never sold one of the steering couplers. makes me wonder if they are even checking them. i suspect they are replacing alot of control arms, bushings, shock towers, etc, and people may still be having the wandering steering problem and it may be blamed on sport suspension or large wheels.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #212
josephi

My Ride: '02 330i
I've bought the part and am planning on doing this soon. Question for those who have already done it: how easy is it to do from the left wheel well? I've seen posts from those who have done it from there and from below the car. It would be more practical for me to do it from the wheel well, and I would need to buy a 10"-12" ratchet extension, from what I gather. I would be interested in hearing the pros and cons. Thanks!
josephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #213
fmzip

My Ride: '08 328xi / '15 S4
How ironic...my indy tells me about this today as he's doing my alignment.

Looks like a simple DIY. Great post
Old 06-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #214
darkmanlfe

My Ride: rocket propelled 323
Send a message via AIM to darkmanlfe
this was a pain in the ass to do. i took off the tire but my old coupler was seized a bit. it would not come off until I PB Blaster the sucker!

But confirmed! My 5 degree play is gone! the steering is very responsive now!

ps. get new screws too.

Last edited by darkmanlfe; 06-22-2009 at 10:45 AM.
darkmanlfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:16 PM   #215
fmzip

Did mine today while the car was up on jack stands. Found it easier to remove the support brace.

Very simple DIY. Can't wait to see how it feels.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #216
328Ci2000

My Ride: 2000 328Ci Topasblau
I called a local dealer and they claimed they have never sold one. So I bought it from Tischer along with some other parts.

The car wanders constantly and it requires constant corrections to stay in a straight line. New control arms/bushings and an alignment from the dealer didn't fix the problem.

I'm going to try going through the wheelwell because I don't have a decent jack that will let me put the entire front end on jackstands. How hard is it to do it this way?
328Ci2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #217
CasualMemo

I have the wheel play along with a click/knock when I turn my wheel slightly while the car is stopped? Have others found that the click is related to the control arm bushings? I had both control arms changed about 1 year ago and really have no desire to have them done again. Thanks.
CasualMemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #218
B33MER

My Ride: 330i SMG M-Sport
Great thread Subscribed!
CF Roundels all around, Black grillz, 7000k Angel eyes,6300k HID fog lights, Hamman Lip reps, ACS roof spoiler reps, Alutech front and rear struts, BMC CDA with DIY heatshield, Pro RS braided brake line, ///M Billet Oil Cap, OEM ///M mats, ///M aluminium pedals,

B33MER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #219
Denlin68

My Ride: 335i -->330i
Send a message via AIM to Denlin68
Any one got the DIY for this ?

Edit: nevermind I read through the entire thread took an hour
2003 330i: Mtech front bumper - Orien V2 Angel Eyes - K&N Drop In Filter - AC Schnitzer Front Strut - TMS Front + Back Sways - UUC RTAB - M Sport Front Control Arm - Powerflex FCAB - Fuel Filter - Rogue RSM - KW V1 - Valve Gasket Cover

Last edited by Denlin68; 07-13-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Denlin68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #220
fmzip

Big difference for me at high speeds. Care feels very stable again.