Pre-cat Oxygen Sensor DIY (lots o pix) - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #81
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith323 View Post
^ greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll check when she gets home. Hopefully it's the same, her cars build date is in '04.

Thanks again
yeah sorry---mine is an 04 w/03 build date and I had the old style sensors. I have found a lot of stuff on my car that is 03 vs 04.... You can check pretty easily, just pull one of the plugs out of the holder and see if it matches up.

my about me link
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #82
zwei e46

My Ride: '99 323i & '05 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith323 View Post
Just changed out the 2 pre-cats on my '99 w/137k using this DIY and video. Everything went off without a hitch.

Ordered 4 of the Bosch 13477s' from Amazon and picked up the O2 socket from Advanced Auto. Next up is the wifes '05 w/77k pre-cats. I checked with realoem and it uses the same Bosch #.

Thanks for the great tutorial r0x and thanks for the video Solidjake
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
double check your wifes sensors actually in the car....I would think her 05 would need the 5 wire ones...despite what real oem says...

jgold47, turns out realoem was correct ... they matched. Depending on the item, I'll be sure to double check on future orders. Thanks.
zwei e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #83
canoad56

My Ride: 2003 330i
Anyone, is there a DIY for the post-cat ones? I am in the process of doing all four and ran into problems taking off one of the post-cat o2 sensors. The problem is that the socket does not fit there. I am having problems finding a tool that does fit. The two exhaust pipes come real close where one of the o2 sensors is and about the only thing I had to fit inbetween the two exhaust pipes was a flat wrench. I had to grind it out to the opening for the o2 sensor but that made it too weak and broke. I am now looking for another such wrench. Anyone had this kind of problems? Please point me in the right direction.
canoad56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #84
canoad56

My Ride: 2003 330i
Hello again, I seem to be running into more problems. The sensors I bought looked like they were the same ones, until I installed one (so far). The connectors are the same but inside the keying is different. Why? I had to cut the connector from the old one and spice it into the new sensor. It ran, but more problems; it was smoking when I brought it back. I am thinking one of the wires from one of the sensors is making contact with the engine block. This is where I am presently. Also, when I turned off the car there is a noise after which sounds like it is getting air from somewhere. I had replaced the boot previously, and I thought everything there was ok. It maybe there where the problem is all along. I will troubleshoot that. Does anyone know which way the sensor leading out of the air filter goes? The sensor towards the inside of the filter or towards the outside.
canoad56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:54 AM   #85
filipinoise

My Ride: '02 325ci
Got around to replacing my pre-cat O2 sensors today with Bosch #13477 as preventative maintenance, courtesy of this thread, and wow - the new sensors in comparison to the old ones (which could quite possibly be over 150K miles old) are truly night and day. I was able to get away with using slightly smaller socket extensions (3" and 6" put together), but of course everyone's mileage may vary. Upon finishing the DIY, I was only able to drive about 10 or so miles but I've already noticed much better lower-end torque and a smoother idle (and it was already pretty good before replacing the O2 sensors in the first place). I'm sure the long-term effects will give me better gas mileage, as well as other improvements. Thanks for this, still a very helpful thread even after 7 or so years later.

I take pictures in the San Francisco Bay Area.
www.eluisphoto.com
filipinoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #86
littlegti

My Ride: 2002 330ci conv
Thanks very much for the DIY...finished mine off this morning...will have to see what the impact is on fuel economy.

Here's a pic of my old ones and a new one.

For better access to the front sensor I recommend unbolting the Air Pump and moving it forward out of the way (someone else mentioned this). You can see from the picture how much room that gives you.

For anyone who is waiting to do this because of the high cost check out this link at Amazon.com. They are selling Bosch O2 sensors with the correct OEM length and plug for only $49 - no excuses.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-13477-Ox...dp/B000GZEK00/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old vs new O2 Sensors.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	474172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air pump removed.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	474173  
littlegti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #87
cristianff

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via MSN to cristianff
Hello everyone ...
I have a technical doubt (little OFF).

Recently I bought this performance headers:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370664749691...S:1123&vxp=mtr

When I replace the origal header, I will get some check engine lights in the dashboard?

Thanks and sorry for the off...

Last edited by cristianff; 10-18-2012 at 11:42 AM.
cristianff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #88
stef_10xsl

My Ride: bmw e46 323 converti
Hi there,

I have a BMW E46 323 Convertible.

I need to replace those two front lambda sensors. Do they have the same part number? I did not find any info regarding any differences/similarities between the front sensors.

Cheers
stef_10xsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #89
cristianff

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via MSN to cristianff
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef_10xsl View Post
Hi there,

I have a BMW E46 323 Convertible.

I need to replace those two front lambda sensors. Do they have the same part number? I did not find any info regarding any differences/similarities between the front sensors.

Cheers
Have you tried RealOEM to get the part number?
www.realoem.com

BMW 330i 2001 - Brazil
Ayrton Senna - Simple the best
cristianff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #90
Shanealan

My Ride: 325i No heatbeat yet
Great write up, this was easier than taking candy from a baby!!!

Thanks again.....

Shanealan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #91
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Besides checking realoem, as posted above, you can check the Bosch parts finder.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #92
Mannydog

My Ride: -02 325XiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegti View Post
Thanks very much for the DIY...finished mine off this morning...will have to see what the impact is on fuel economy.

Here's a pic of my old ones and a new one.

For better access to the front sensor I recommend unbolting the Air Pump and moving it forward out of the way (someone else mentioned this). You can see from the picture how much room that gives you.

For anyone who is waiting to do this because of the high cost check out this link at Amazon.com. They are selling Bosch O2 sensors with the correct OEM length and plug for only $49 - no excuses.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-13477-Ox...dp/B000GZEK00/
I just did both pre-cats, and it was very straight forward. I only removed the air pump PLUS the bracket from the shock tower. Did not have to remove the cabin air filter, engine cover etc.

The front sensor was super easy, the rear one a little harder to get to. I bought a crow's foot wrench, which worked, but if I had it to do over again I would probably get the socket style.

Last edited by Mannydog; 10-17-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Mannydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #93
Chris3Duke

Does the 13477 work for both pre and post-cat? I know it works pre-cat.

Any reason to do the post-cats if my car is not having a problem failing emission inspection? I read earlier they are mainly for emissions, but then others are writing they got some codes thrown until they replaced all four.

Are the post-cat ones as easy as the pre-cat? Anyone have a link to a DIY? I think this was asked a couple of times.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #94
e4603

My Ride: #3 bus
pre and post are not the same parts. Check http://www.boschautoparts.com/vehicl...artfinder.aspx
DIY thread: https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=293116
e4603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #95
gnesda

My Ride: 2000 323i
Is there a PDF of this procedure? Many (all?) of the images seem to be long gone.
Thank you
gnesda is offline   Reply With Quote