Project ZF 5HP19 transmission: Valve Body - Page 6 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 158 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #101
alika808

My Ride: X5/525/325
Disregard the entry.

Last edited by alika808; 06-23-2016 at 01:59 AM.
alika808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:14 PM   #102
msalsbery

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
@jjrichar

Are you still around? Thank you for taking the time to document this!!

I'm about to go into mine...after a deep-water incident my 5HP-19 is having issues. I like to do the work myself but stop at engine/transmission removal since I'm not equipped for that. If it turns out I need a TC or new transmission I'll have to seriously consider the cost vs the value of my 2002 325ci, so I figure WTH, I can at least drop the pan and rebuild the valve body. Your info will be invaluable I'm sure!

Cheers
msalsbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #103
alika808

My Ride: X5/525/325
Since I read this thread, I did a couple transmission troubleshoot and repair. This is a great help. Go for it.
alika808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #104
msalsbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by alika808 View Post
Since I read this thread, I did a couple transmission troubleshoot and repair. This is a great help. Go for it.
Good to hear, thanks!
Old 09-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #105
below0

My Ride: 2003 325I
i have a issue

bmw zf 5hp-19 31 symptom gear monitoring 35 gear
it seems fine when its cold
also the plastic little circles what would happen if a couple of those where not put in last thing is the only way to test it is to put oil and drive it
the oil on these isnt cheap also last thing not sure if its related im

getting a thermal oil level error

thanks
below0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #106
nyka

My Ride: bmw
hi.
I have 2 errors INPA.
the gearbox not change. is block in 4 gear. THANKS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171015_225624_1508154808849.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	690641   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171015_224658_1508154899791.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	690649  
nyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:49 AM   #107
BMWinTheDriveway

My Ride: 02 325Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinTheDriveway View Post
INPA would not test anything with just the harness so I spent the better part of the weekend reassembling the VB and most of an hour trying to chase down a short in the wiring harness that turned out to be in the test lead.. haha

Once back together I was able to activate all the solenoids with the engine running, with EDS1,EDS4 being clearly audible when test actuated.

Today will be the 3rd day driving normally, no hiccups so far.

While in the air I replaced the fuel filter and negative battery terminal which would not stay tight.

I was unable to change the upper O-ring on the little tube that sticks in the transmission as it fought furiously being removed and I didn't want to break it and wait another week for stupid part, but all the O-rings on the solenoids and a couple on the valves were changed out for new. The old ones looked fine, if a little dirty. I was hoping to find something actually wrong with it...

add 9/30: 2 wk update, running fine and shifting smoothly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Well here we are 3 years later and the shifting is going 'clunk' again. No troubles in between since VB rebuild, checking fluid levels today. Hopefully I don't need to rebuild again but with this info and experience and help, it will not be too difficult... except I no longer have a garage to work in. Currently about 145K miles on my 01 325 convertible.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #108
housam

My Ride: passat v6 4motion
Oil diagram

that is a great description .
would u please tell me or help me where did u get the oil diagram from, i need to look at the 1st and 2nd oil diagram , thanks
housam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:04 PM   #109
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330 CiC, 330i
housam, I downloaded the 5 speed valve body manual a number of years ago. I'm not sure if it's still available. If you can't find it, PM me with your email address I'll send you what I have.
jjrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #110
msalsbery

@below0 did you ever fix issue?

1 1/2 years later...life happened last year so my e46 spent all this time on blocks. Finally have valve body parts on the way from Eriksson. On the plus side, my searches after 1+ years away have yielded much better info, most helpful is what "Symptom GLUE" is and keywords "flare shift". Plus I have INPA and winKFP running.

I've removed two stripped pan bolts (unbelievable the stupidity of previos "mechanics***8221 that had me held up last time, removed pan, no chunks metal, new filter and 7 qts fluid put in, then testing. Ran great cold, then 2-3 and P-R flare shifts. Reproducable repeatedly. Wondered if I could just prigram it to operate like it does when cold but no ***x1f609; Turns out cold sequence, just like limp mode, runs with full pressure to the clutches. After 3 minutes or trans temp 60C the pressure reduces. So replacing all rubber parts in valve body and possibly the pressure modulator valve piston (a known wear part). Solenoid o rings were toast for sure. Fingers crossed...it felt SO good to drive with smooth shifts a few times, even for 3 minutes at a time.

Also noticed trans temp climbing to too high so inspecting cooling lines and replacing heat exchanger and thermostat, as well as the radiator (parts I already had for future project). Hopefully next week I'll be on the road again!

Last edited by msalsbery; 09-21-2018 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 09-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #111
msalsbery

Anyone have any experience with one of these pressure regulator valve repair solutions from TransGo?

http://www.transgo.com/products.php?...product_id=267
Old 09-26-2018, 06:29 PM   #112
msalsbery

5HP19 valve body rebuild...cleaned (found a couple stuck pistons, very fine wear matter binding them up), replaced all rubber/soft parts (4 solenoid o-rings, 2 piston end-cap o-rings, transfer plate gasket), new wiring harness with temperature sensor, new turbine speed sensor, and installed a TransGo pressure regulator valve upgrade.

My BMW is finally back on the road after 1 1/2 years on blocks, shifting great! It was previously un-drivable, worked great cold, gear overlap issues after a few minutes of driving, always resulting in limp mode. Amazing what replacing a few hardened rubber parts can do!

@jjrichar thank you SO much for this thread, was a HUGE help in the rebuild, especially since my valve body matched your pictures

edit: I had Nat/Erikkson send me three rubber dampers but it turns out my valve body has the upgraded version (solid rubber bumpers in cup shaped pistons)

Last edited by msalsbery; 09-26-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:57 PM   #113
kentwilkens

My Ride: BMW 320i 2001
Year: 2001
Model: 320i
Transmission: ZF5HP19
Great post. I recently put in the Transgo 5HP-19-PR pressure relief valve. Nice little unit. Also has a way to do it without pulling the full valve body, and keeps that pesky top unit in place while you pull the lower unit. Also allows you to work on the manual selector without having to pull the full body as well. There are two bolts you get with the kit, grind the heads off, put them in to keep the upper unit locked in place while you pull the lower one. My car has a shift issue when warming up. Usually only happens if I have to stop and open the cattle gate when going out, so putting it back into park after the car is moving, before it is warmed up, triggers the event. It then will be sticky in the lower gears, will rev to 4k under normal pedal pressure, then often followed by a transmission "bang", referenced in the advertising for the transgo pressure valve, and other places, but have found no reference on bimmer forums for it. I put in the kit, and it worked fine for a week, but back to being sticky again. Interesting that the pressure valve was quite scored, and there was lots of metal gunk built up in the pressure valve and in the chamber. So either the fix was not that issue, or the inside of the chamber is scored enough that the valve is not able to correct for it. Runs fine once warmed up. Will try full warmup before each run from now on to see if that helps.
kentwilkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #114
Julio Cezar

My Ride: BMW 320i M54
Year: 2004
Model: 320I
Transmission: Steptronic
need help

Hello

My name is Julio Cezar, I live in Brazil and own a BMW 320I 2003/2004 (KK75915) M54 and ZF 5HP19 with 79,000 km.

I bought the car in January 2018, and the problems presented and repaired are as follows: 1) Pulleys and belts
2) Cooling fluid gasket
3) Engine oil filter gasket
4) Fuel pump (generic one)
5) Battery Replacement

Unresolved issue
1) Transmission in safe mode

About 40 days after changing the fuel pump, while I was driving and then waiting for the green light at a crossing, I noticed the symbol of a gear next to the letter D of the transmission, no gear changes after that. I drove the car to the mechanic who scanned the BMW and identified the codes 3B STALL SPEED (P0720) and 41 GEAR MONITORING 4 (LIMP-HOME PROGRAM). After clearing the errors with the scanner the transmission has returned to working perfectly in all modes, including the sport. the car mechanic suggested replacing the battery before attempting something more invasive. Battery cables are free of oxidation.

The mechanic of a workshop, not specialized in BMW, suggested the exchange of transmission oil, filter and gasket, and speed sensors (input and output) of the transmission.

The mechanic realized that the socket connecting the transmission to the vehicle’s whip was broken, and only attached it with a cloth tape. After this repair, on one occasion, the transmission was not recognized by the on-board computer after I tried to start the car, driven by the mechanic, I shook the plug and the transmission started working again without any problems.

The mechanic performed the planned services (oil, filter, gasket and sensors) but the problem persists, and now there is a noise similar to that of a turbine between the gear changes, and from 2nd to 3rd the exchange became a little more evident, but my wife does not even notice when she drives the BMW.

The transmission housing, at the time of the oil change, had no metal residues on the magnets.

The safety mode of the transmission only engages when I am stopped at a traffic lights with the gearbox in the D position and at the same time stepping on the brake, with the transmission positioned in N, R or P nothing happens.

I traveled about 850km with the vehicle this weekend, toping 190Km/h even though having two childs on the back seat, and the transmission worked perfectly, I just took care of changing the position of the gearbox from D to N every time I had to stop the car at traffic lights and other similar occasions.

Help me please, i love this car!!! Thank you in advance for your attention.
Julio Cezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:29 PM   #115
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

Julio, have you tried driving in manual mode to see if you can isolate if it occurs in one gear only?

The PO720 code is a bit confusing that it only occurs when you stop, as this is saying the TCM is getting in invalid signal from the output speed sensor. Why this only happens when you stop is a bit weird.

I would suggest a few things.
1. Buy a cheap ebay OBD2 cable and download Mike's BMW tools (link below). Then you will be able to see when the errors are occurring and when to diagnose better.
2. Do some test driving in manual mode. When you come to a stop, the transmission will only go to 2nd, and start in this gear from a stop. If you want to start in 1st, you will have to manually select it. The problem may have something to do with the gear being selected.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=879366

Last edited by jjrichar; 02-27-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #116
Julio Cezar

My Ride: BMW 320i M54
Year: 2004
Model: 320I
Transmission: Steptronic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrichar View Post
Julio, have you tried driving in manual mode to see if you can isolate if it occurs in one gear only?

The PO720 code is a bit confusing that it only occurs when you stop, as this is saying the TCM is getting in invalid signal from the output speed sensor. Why this only happens when you stop is a bit weird.

I would suggest a few things.
1. Buy a cheap ebay OBD2 cable and download Mike's BMW tools (link below). Then you will be able to see when the errors are occurring and when to diagnose better.
2. Do some test driving in manual mode. When you come to a stop, the transmission will only go to 2nd, and start in this gear from a stop. If you want to start in 1st, you will have to manually select it. The problem may have something to do with the gear being selected.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=879366
after the cog (fail-safe mode) appears, sometimes i turn off the car and the warning cog disappears, and another occasions only with a scanner is possible to get rid with the cog.

i'll buy a obd2 ant try to isolate the problem like you suggest, as soon i have more info i'll request your knowleage.

thank's a lot, i'm very happy with your promptness to help.
Julio Cezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:04 PM   #117
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

The fact that after the cog appears you can then turn the car off and on and it drives fine normally indicates there is some sort of intermittent electrical issue. It's just nutting out what it is.

When you get the OBD2 plug, using INPA (part of the BMW tools package) is very useful when diagnosing transmission faults. You can pretty much see everything that is going on.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #118
Fleibaka

Hello, my name is Bonny and I just registered to thank you. in my gearbox, all parts are new. I have the same mistake as you. without your contribution, I would never have looked for the damper. Thank you, you are the greatestClick image for larger version

Name:	20190802_211237_1564792849842.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	781043
Fleibaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:33 AM   #119
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

Glad to have helped. Finding the damper split was like finding a needle in a haystack. You seem as happy to find it as I was to find it in mine.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:11 AM   #120
Fleibaka

I tested the automatic last night and then screamed out of sheer joy. I still can not believe that the trouble is over. I overtook the valve body last year because I had problems with the gear monitoring. after that it was better, but then ruined all clutches. that I myself have installed a broken new part, annoys me. Above all, I am annoyed that ZF supplies faulty parts. I would never have looked at the part. I am incredibly happy. Thanks againClick image for larger version

Name:	20190603_032340_1564837832736.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	781047
Fleibaka is offline   Reply With Quote