DIY: **The New Unofficial Auto ----> 5 speed swap** Lots of pictures!!! - Page 24 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 488 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #461
spinelli006

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci. 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanman1029 View Post
Ive been driving mine for over a year without a reflash, you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Where does your speedo sensor plug in

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
spinelli006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #462
Lxtasy

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
You know, I think I should give you guys new instructions on how to change the ZCS. It's very easy if you have NCS Expert.
  1. Load NCS Expert
  2. Click file -> Choose Profile. Pick the Expert mode profile (sometimes referred to Expertmodus or something along those lines)

3. Click ZCS/FA f. ECU. Select E46. Then select either the EWS or KMB. Click okay. NCS will now read the ZCS (GM, SA, VN) from the module you selected.

4. Click "Enter ZCS". Click "okay" when it shows you the chassis and then VIN (don't worry if the characters don't match exactly). Now you'll be at the ZCS screen.
  5. You'll see 3 fields - GM, SA, VN. For the E46, you need to subtract 8 from the second to last digit of the SA string (so if it's 8, it be comes 0. 9 ->1, A > 2, B->3, etc.). Then remove the last digit from all 3 lines, click the box for "recalculate checksum" and hit OK.

6. Click Back
  7. Click Process ECU
  8. Select your KMB module.

9. Click "Change Job" and select "ZCS_SCHRIEBEN" (or sometimes "ZCS_WRITE" with some modules)

• Optional: Select the EWS and do the same ZCS_SCHRIEBEN job to that as well
  10. Now click back or restart NCS Expert
  11. Click FG/ZCS/FA
  12. Read the ZCS from the KMB to verify that the changes took
  13. click back again
  14. Hit process car

15. Wait a couple minutes for all the modules to be recoded back to their defaults (for the new ZCS)
Done.

This is all DIS/GT1 does when you change the ZCS. It just takes a hell of a lot longer with DIS.

After this, the only other thing you should need to do is clear the adaptions on your DME (assuming the transmission harness is already disconnected). If your DME is out of date, you may as well updated it with WinKFP while you're at it (not in the scope of this DIY)
I am getting ready to code my 04 325ci today.....will the SA always be numbers that I have to change or will there be a chance of letters being in there also? If there are letters possible you just go up one then? Thank You.Chris
Lxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #463
delgadilloalex

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxtasy View Post
I am getting ready to code my 04 325ci today.....will the SA always be numbers that I have to change or will there be a chance of letters being in there also? If there are letters possible you just go up one then? Thank You.Chris
Don't worry about the letter erase it and the last number.

Sent from my SM-N900T using E46Fanatics mobile app
delgadilloalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:41 AM   #464
delgadilloalex

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadilloalex View Post

But with your car it's an 04 you have to change the fa. Not the sa. Correct me if I'm wrong.

delgadilloalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:41 AM   #465
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadilloalex View Post

I believe BMW switched to vehicle order (FA or VO) in 9/2001. So wouldn't it be to remove option $205 from AKWB, EWS, and DME then use FA_write?
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #466
Bpat1218

My Ride: 325i Touring 5spd
Year: 2002
Model: 325i
Transmission: Getrag 250g
My Swap

Hi All,

I wanted to thank neil and other users on the forums (TerraPhantm, Ivegotissues666, titaniumcranium, etc.) for all of the useful DIYs and info.

I just completed my 5speed swap on 2002 e46 touring using a Getrag 250G. There is a surprising amount of ambiguity about coding the post-02 (including 2002) cars for the swap and I wanted to share what worked for me (in the form of a mini-DIY). (note: you can seriously mess up your car in NCS expert. Do your research and don't follow my advice if you aren't positive about what you're modifying. Put your cars battery on a charger and your laptop plugged in.)

Your overall goals for this coding process: Change VO to reflect manual transmission, code cluster to turn off gear indicator, and get the DME to run the engine as a manual.

I'll start from the moment you get the car started - Clutch switches (or switch) is all wired in to the EWS immobilizer, your auto computer is all plugged in still, and you just got back from the first (hopefully uneventful) test drive with those annoying CEL/gear indicator lights on.

Since this is a post '02 car, the car uses a vehicle order (VO) system to specify the installed options. This means that the first thing you must do is to remove the automatic transmission specification from the car. This is accomplished as follows:

1) Use NCS expert to read AKMB or ALSZ. It does not matter which since the VO system is redundant.
2)Modify the FA (VO) to remove option $205 from whichever module you read. You'll notice that a .trc file is created in your WORK folder was created sometime in this process.
3) Use the "FAwrite" option in NCS expert to code the same module that you read from (AKMB or ALSZ).
4) Back out to main menu or close the program then repeat the procedure to read the FA on the module that you just coded. Make sure the change you made has held
5) Repeat for the other ECU

**random note - there are two other options that I could have selected for the FA (I think EWS and something else). When I tried selecting them, a scary error would pop up "central coding key faulty". This is simply because these modules are not used for VO information (they used to be used for ZCS in pre-'02 cars). Just a heads up that if you try reading them and see this, its normal.**

Cool, so now your VO reflects the manual transmission setting (no option $205) in both of the modules that store the VO. But, you still have that annoying gear indicator because you did not code the cluster (AKMB unit)

This is the point at which I went into my engine bay and unplugged the auto harnesses (the light blue ones). I think you could do this at any time but this is when I did it.

Now, you need to code the cluster to turn off the auto gear indicator. This is performed in NCSexpert again using Revtor's profile that allows writing a .MAN file. Again, do the relevant research about this process. You can get the profile you need with enough googling if your program is missing it.

1) In your WORK folder, there should be a file called FSW_PSW.MAN. It is very important that you have this file and keep it blank, completely empty when you are not actively coding. This will make sure that if you accidentally write anything, it will be done from the DATEN file, which will just be an OEM flash.

2) Once you have the .MAN file made (if it wasn't present) and cleared out, you can start the process. Select the AKMB unit in NCS expert and change job to CODIERDATEN_LESEN (read data). Execute job.

3) Now, if you go into your WORK folder, there is a file called "FSW_PSW.trc". This is the data from your selected ecu module that you just read. Immediately save a copy of this file somewhere in case you screw anything up. Make sure you label your file with the ecu name so that you can identify it later on.

4) Here is the "coding" part. Open the original .trc file that you have already backed up. Find the option: GETRIEBE_ANZEIGE_GANG. This is your auto gear indicator. It should currently be denoted "aktiv", obviously, because it is enabled. Change this to nicht_aktiv.

5) Either copy the contents of the .trc file into your blank .MAN file and save it, or overwrite your blank .MAN file. If you choose to overwrite, make sure to select "all files" as the file type so that the extension stays .MAN.

6) Now, since you are using Revtor's profile, NCS expert is able to code an individual module using the .MAN file in your WORK folder. To do this, go through the process to select the module that you want to code (AKMB) and then change job to "SG_CODIEREN". Double check your .MAN file contents, that it is saved correctly, etc. When you're sure, click "EXECUTE JOB". It will take a few seconds and, when it is finished, your cluster will reboot with the gear indicator turned off!

7) You have now learned how to code individual features. Wield this power carefully and you may find other cool functions to modify.

The last thing now is the DME stuff. For myself, my car uses the MS43 engine management system (identified from the MS45 by the three lead MAF wire). The ms45 has , I think, 5 MAF wires and was phased in in 2004. For the MS43 system, there is no "manual tune" that needs to be flashed. I simply reset all adaptations in INPA and then started the car.

The result is no CEL light, no gear indicator, and correct idle/shifting behavior

I will stop rambling and I hope that this helps someone with their coding; I have left enough ambiguity that you shouldn't be able to complete this process unless you have done your research and understand what you're setting out to do. I'm not telling you what to click and when most of the time, but outlining the process you should follow. Happy learning!

And, lastly, enjoy your "new" manual car

Update: Wired in the cruise control clutch switch to pin23 of the DME today and have correct cruise control function. I'm using the older two-switch setup in my car. Last to do is that pesky mirror tilt...

Last edited by Bpat1218; 10-10-2017 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Update
Bpat1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #467
Bpat1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxtasy View Post
Hey chris, see my post above that I just made if you haven't performed this process yet. It doesn't seem like you're on the right track since you have an '04
Old 11-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #468
chanman1029

My Ride: 2003 325i/2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpat1218 View Post
Hi All,

I wanted to thank neil and other users on the forums (TerraPhantm, Ivegotissues666, titaniumcranium, etc.) for all of the useful DIYs and info.

I just completed my 5speed swap on 2002 e46 touring using a Getrag 250G. There is a surprising amount of ambiguity about coding the post-02 (including 2002) cars for the swap and I wanted to share what worked for me (in the form of a mini-DIY). (note: you can seriously mess up your car in NCS expert. Do your research and don't follow my advice if you aren't positive about what you're modifying. Put your cars battery on a charger and your laptop plugged in.)

Your overall goals for this coding process: Change VO to reflect manual transmission, code cluster to turn off gear indicator, and get the DME to run the engine as a manual.

I'll start from the moment you get the car started - Clutch switches (or switch) is all wired in to the EWS immobilizer, your auto computer is all plugged in still, and you just got back from the first (hopefully uneventful) test drive with those annoying CEL/gear indicator lights on.

Since this is a post '02 car, the car uses a vehicle order (VO) system to specify the installed options. This means that the first thing you must do is to remove the automatic transmission specification from the car. This is accomplished as follows:

1) Use NCS expert to read AKMB or ALSZ. It does not matter which since the VO system is redundant.
2)Modify the FA (VO) to remove option $205 from whichever module you read. You'll notice that a .trc file is created in your WORK folder was created sometime in this process.
3) Use the "FAwrite" option in NCS expert to code the same module that you read from (AKMB or ALSZ).
4) Back out to main menu or close the program then repeat the procedure to read the FA on the module that you just coded. Make sure the change you made has held
5) Repeat for the other ECU

**random note - there are two other options that I could have selected for the FA (I think EWS and something else). When I tried selecting them, a scary error would pop up "central coding key faulty". This is simply because these modules are not used for VO information (they used to be used for ZCS in pre-'02 cars). Just a heads up that if you try reading them and see this, its normal.**

Cool, so now your VO reflects the manual transmission setting (no option $205) in both of the modules that store the VO. But, you still have that annoying gear indicator because you did not code the cluster (AKMB unit)

This is the point at which I went into my engine bay and unplugged the auto harnesses (the light blue ones). I think you could do this at any time but this is when I did it.

Now, you need to code the cluster to turn off the auto gear indicator. This is performed in NCSexpert again using Revtor's profile that allows writing a .MAN file. Again, do the relevant research about this process. You can get the profile you need with enough googling if your program is missing it.

1) In your WORK folder, there should be a file called FSW_PSW.MAN. It is very important that you have this file and keep it blank, completely empty when you are not actively coding. This will make sure that if you accidentally write anything, it will be done from the DATEN file, which will just be an OEM flash.

2) Once you have the .MAN file made (if it wasn't present) and cleared out, you can start the process. Select the AKMB unit in NCS expert and change job to CODIERDATEN_LESEN (read data). Execute job.

3) Now, if you go into your WORK folder, there is a file called "FSW_PSW.trc". This is the data from your selected ecu module that you just read. Immediately save a copy of this file somewhere in case you screw anything up. Make sure you label your file with the ecu name so that you can identify it later on.

4) Here is the "coding" part. Open the original .trc file that you have already backed up. Find the option: GETRIEBE_ANZEIGE_GANG. This is your auto gear indicator. It should currently be denoted "aktiv", obviously, because it is enabled. Change this to nicht_aktiv.

5) Either copy the contents of the .trc file into your blank .MAN file and save it, or overwrite your blank .MAN file. If you choose to overwrite, make sure to select "all files" as the file type so that the extension stays .MAN.

6) Now, since you are using Revtor's profile, NCS expert is able to code an individual module using the .MAN file in your WORK folder. To do this, go through the process to select the module that you want to code (AKMB) and then change job to "SG_CODIEREN". Double check your .MAN file contents, that it is saved correctly, etc. When you're sure, click "EXECUTE JOB". It will take a few seconds and, when it is finished, your cluster will reboot with the gear indicator turned off!

7) You have now learned how to code individual features. Wield this power carefully and you may find other cool functions to modify.

The last thing now is the DME stuff. For myself, my car uses the MS43 engine management system (identified from the MS45 by the three lead MAF wire). The ms45 has , I think, 5 MAF wires and was phased in in 2004. For the MS43 system, there is no "manual tune" that needs to be flashed. I simply reset all adaptations in INPA and then started the car.

The result is no CEL light, no gear indicator, and correct idle/shifting behavior

I will stop rambling and I hope that this helps someone with their coding; I have left enough ambiguity that you shouldn't be able to complete this process unless you have done your research and understand what you're setting out to do. I'm not telling you what to click and when most of the time, but outlining the process you should follow. Happy learning!

And, lastly, enjoy your "new" manual car

Update: Wired in the cruise control clutch switch to pin23 of the DME today and have correct cruise control function. I'm using the older two-switch setup in my car. Last to do is that pesky mirror tilt...

Right now my auto harness is bridged so that i can bypass the neutral safety switch and start the car. I want to code it soon but am kinda uneducated with computers programs and coding. However my main question is, can I leave my harness bridge or do have to do something with it? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 11-03-2017, 03:21 AM   #469
donBogi

My Ride: 325i
If you delete the auto trans from the FA/VO you will need to supply pin8 at the ews with 12 Volt

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
donBogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #470
chanman1029

My Ride: 2003 325i/2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by donBogi View Post
If you delete the auto trans from the FA/VO you will need to supply pin8 at the ews with 12 Volt

Is that part of the diy, it's been awhile since I did the swap and can't remember

Old 11-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #471
donBogi

My Ride: 325i
Yeah it somehow is. Just grab 12V from the brake switch and wire it into ews at pin 8. I think you will need a socket plug for pin 8

donBogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:04 AM   #472
ArchimedeYK

My Ride: 2003 320i manual
Hi, i decided to sign up and post this thread because i could not find the answers to my questions anywhere. I currently have a 2003 320i 5 spd manual. I've found a good deal on a 330ci convertible however it is an automatic. I've done my research on the threads and basically know how to it. As i am very poor my question is if my full 320i manual tranny(flywheel,clutch, tranny, drieshatf and diff) can be bolted onto the 330ci, also if my 320i tranny can handle the torque. I ask this because a 2001 330 manual is a 5spd not 6.If it can be bolted how long do you will think it will last before the tranny blows? For now it will be my daily so not driven too hard but occasionaly
ArchimedeYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #473
Bpat1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanman1029 View Post
Is that part of the diy, it's been awhile since I did the swap and can't remember

Just like DonBogi said, you'll need 12V to pin8 of EWS to start the car. You can take it from the brake switch to bypass the clutch switch, or you can wire in your clutch switch if you want. After you change VO to manual, your auto harness will be useless so I don't think you need to remove your jumper or anything, even.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #474
Bpat1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchimedeYK View Post
Hi, i decided to sign up and post this thread because i could not find the answers to my questions anywhere. I currently have a 2003 320i 5 spd manual. I've found a good deal on a 330ci convertible however it is an automatic. I've done my research on the threads and basically know how to it. As i am very poor my question is if my full 320i manual tranny(flywheel,clutch, tranny, drieshatf and diff) can be bolted onto the 330ci, also if my 320i tranny can handle the torque. I ask this because a 2001 330 manual is a 5spd not 6.If it can be bolted how long do you will think it will last before the tranny blows? For now it will be my daily so not driven too hard but occasionaly
Won't it be cheaper to just buy a used tranny and driveshaft and new flywheel/clutch for a 330 and sell your 320i to cover the cost?
Old 11-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #475
Ray1327

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323ci E46
Manual swap coding HELP

I have almost completed the manual swap on my 2000 323ci E46. I am using parts from my wrecked 2000 323i parts car. My question is can i replace my EWS and DME from my parts car to skip having to code my car when its complete. I know i will also have to replace the key if i do this which is fine. Any help would be appreciated
Ray1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:29 AM   #476
lem0n

My Ride: 318ti, 325Xi, 525iTA
I have a potentially borderline retarded question. If my SA before deleting the last character checksum is 20210C900F964424K, then I need to walk back 8 positions back from number 4. Am I correctly calculating that 4 becomes C?
lem0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:55 PM   #477
Steve M3

My Ride: E46s
Quote:
You know, I think I should give you guys new instructions on how to change the ZCS. It's very easy if you have NCS Expert.
  1. Load NCS Expert
  2. Click file -> Choose Profile. Pick the Expert mode profile (sometimes referred to Expertmodus or something along those lines)

3. Click ZCS/FA f. ECU. Select E46. Then select either the EWS or KMB. Click okay. NCS will now read the ZCS (GM, SA, VN) from the module you selected.

4. Click "Enter ZCS". Click "okay" when it shows you the chassis and then VIN (don't worry if the characters don't match exactly). Now you'll be at the ZCS screen.
  5. You'll see 3 fields - GM, SA, VN. For the E46, you need to subtract 8 from the second to last digit of the SA string (so if it's 8, it be comes 0. 9 ->1, A > 2, B->3, etc.). Then remove the last digit from all 3 lines, click the box for "recalculate checksum" and hit OK.

6. Click Back
  7. Click Process ECU

9. Click "Change Job" and select "ZCS_SCHRIEBEN" (or sometimes "ZCS_WRITE" with some modules)

11. Click FG/ZCS/FA
  13. click back again
  14. Hit process car

15. Wait a couple minutes for all the modules to be recoded back to their defaults (for the new ZCS)
Done.

This is all DIS/GT1 does when you change the ZCS. It just takes a hell of a lot longer with DIS.

After this, the only other thing you should need to do is clear the adaptions on your DME (assuming the transmission harness is already disconnected). If your DME is out of date, you may as well updated it with WinKFP while you're at it (not in the scope of this DIY)
Any idea if a late E36 would be done in the same fashion as an early E46? Have a friend that is manual swapping his E36 and I would like to help him code it. Understand they have fewer modules, but if this logic would apply, it would be nice to be able to help him out.
Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:50 PM   #478
romaster

My Ride: e46 330D
Send a message via MSN to romaster
Quote:
  1. Load NCS Expert

6. Click Back
  7. Click Process ECU

11. Click FG/ZCS/FA
  13. click back again
  14. Hit process car

Done.

Hi guys ! Sorry for my bad English, but when I try to coding, I can't, I have an error, and the coding failed.

Someone has an idea ? Or to code every écu individually ?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	394D08C0-AC9A-46B1-9C3F-F94929F5B527_1556661041548.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	774093  
romaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #479
tjas0n

My Ride: E46
Quote:
  1. Load NCS Expert

6. Click Back
  7. Click Process ECU

11. Click FG/ZCS/FA
  13. click back again
  14. Hit process car

Done.

Hey Terra,

Thank you for the details. Does it make any difference to MS45.1? Other than this procedure, any other adjustment? (DSC?)
tjas0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #480
RandallNC

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
Post Facelift Cruise Contol and Clutch Safety Switch

So I did the auto to manual swap, installed the clutch switch/wiring, and coded the car with success. I do not have any related CEL or transmission lights. But my cruise control and clutch safety switch is still not working. I have searched this issue and have not found a fix for it yet. Has anyone been able to correct this? Thanks in advance...
RandallNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, evo3, manual, swap, uuc