Project ZF 5HP19 transmission: Valve Body - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 158 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #81
BMWinTheDriveway

My Ride: 02 325Ci Convertible
Other than continuity or resistance, not sure what I would be able to do with everything in pieces.. I'm not putting the VB back together til I have O-rings and gasket, which seems to be what you're suggesting? I have a fuel filter I can put on while the car is floating in the air, but otherwise I have little time for extended diagnostics requiring assembly/disassembly
Old 09-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #82
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330 CiC, 330i
What I would do is connect the harness to the TCM plug but outside the transmission. Allow it do drop down below the pan and sit on some support plate, maybe something on your transmission jack. Connect all the solenoids and sensors by themselves and have them resting on the support plate so that there isn't any stress on the harness. Now you can connect INPA (or whatever you are using) to send test signals to the solenoids and pressure test them at the same time. Also bring up the output values from the transmission and then start to poke and prod all plugs etc to see if you can find a weak point that has you lose an input or gives you an error code.

When I tested my solenoids this way I created a jumper lead from the particular plug, so it gave me more room to take the solenoid in question to a bench to pressure test it.
jjrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #83
BMWinTheDriveway

Great idea. I need to download your brain! I have almost everything I need to do that save a couple blade connections for the jumper wire. Since I am slow and rather clumsy with small connectors I may hook up a trickle charge to the battery so it doesn't get too low on voltage sitting 'on' like that for a while.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:07 AM   #84
BMWinTheDriveway

ok INPA doesnt want to do anything with the solenoids, says 'can't do that' or something to that effect when i ask it to activate or test the solenoids
Does immediately give error 34 sump oil temp sensor error after the codes are cleared, not sure if that is related

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2015, 08:20 PM   #85
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

When you look at the analogue values page, is it giving you values for input/output speed and temperature. If you are getting the sump oil temp error, I suspect the temperature wire in the harness is a bit dodgy. Clear the codes, give it a wiggle and see if the error comes back.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #86
BMWinTheDriveway

INPA would not test anything with just the harness so I spent the better part of the weekend reassembling the VB and most of an hour trying to chase down a short in the wiring harness that turned out to be in the test lead.. haha

Once back together I was able to activate all the solenoids with the engine running, with EDS1,EDS4 being clearly audible when test actuated.

Today will be the 3rd day driving normally, no hiccups so far.

While in the air I replaced the fuel filter and negative battery terminal which would not stay tight.

I was unable to change the upper O-ring on the little tube that sticks in the transmission as it fought furiously being removed and I didn't want to break it and wait another week for stupid part, but all the O-rings on the solenoids and a couple on the valves were changed out for new. The old ones looked fine, if a little dirty. I was hoping to find something actually wrong with it...

add 9/30: 2 wk update, running fine and shifting smoothly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Last edited by BMWinTheDriveway; 09-30-2015 at 06:45 AM. Reason: more info
BMWinTheDriveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #87
dannymatthews

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330i
Thanks You & Question

I have watched all your utube videos several times which assisted greatly in rebuilding my transmission. I just read your post on the valve body work. I am tackling that now. I do have a question. I lost reverse and it jumps a little going into drive. I thought the d/g drum had broken. I just completed a rebuild kit and new d/g drum. The drum was not broken. Everything in the transmission looked good. I had just driven through a water pooled road when mine went out. I am doing the valve body now but don't see a problem their either. Do you have any suggestions for checking before I re-install the transmission. Again lost reverse immediately after driving through a large area of water and it started clanking a little when I put it in drive. I'm guessing maybe something electrical??
dannymatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #88
BMWinTheDriveway

Any time the trans goes into safe mode it locks out reverse, does not indicate a hard problem with reverse drum. All my trans probs disappeared after rebuilding the valve body.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:25 PM   #89
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

To clarify, my understanding of limp mode is that you can select reverse and it will work OK (On my wife's Audi which has a 5hp19 this was the case). It will clunk pretty hard when going into gear due to the solenoids not being activated, but it should work.

Have you opened the selector switch on the side of the transmission and checked all is well. Very simple to drill out the rivets and give it a clean and ensure that all the contacts are in good order. There might have been some water ingestion when you drove through the water. It might be a case where the gear lever is saying one thing, but the selector switch is saying another and the transmission doesn't know what to think.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #90
dannymatthews

Thanks for the information. I did open up the valve body today and everything looks good. It has the updated accumulation plugs, which I replaced with new ones from my rebuild kit. I plan to clean the valves and put together back tomorrow. I will then check the selector switch. I think I may have jumped the gun because of all the broken d/g drum info on the internet. My car is a 2002 330i, I dont remember seeing a switch on the side of the transmission, but I will check tomorrow. Again, thank you so much for your videos and write ups. I have used them extensively.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:51 PM   #91
dannymatthews

I did find some moisture in the selector switch, thanks for that suggestion. I am putting my transmission back together now and cant find torque specs. I did find them for valve body and some others. I can not find the specs for the oil pump bolts, output coupler bolts, bolts from transmission to bell housing. Can you advise me on any or all of those torque specs? Thank you, Danny Matthews
Old 02-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #92
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

Danny, I've uploaded again the repair manual, which is in the first post of the parent thread. For some reason it wasn't working, but it should now. All the torque specs you need are there.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:49 PM   #93
dannymatthews

Jeff, Thank you so much. I have watched your videos and read your fanatics entries. They were so helpful in my rebuild. I have learned a lot from you and thank you for the knowledge.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #94
stefanhenchoz

My Ride: '00 330i SE Touring
Sorry to dig up an old thread but it's a great post and provides such an insight into these boxes/valve bodies. I have a question for the OP as you seem to know your way round the 5hp19. I have a "clunk" noise/feel from box after a rebuild. The clunk is only on downshift from 5th to 4th. Used bmw oil and replaced pan filter and gasket and have had the software reflashed but to no avail. I'm being told a solenoid or piston could be to blame? are these located in the valve body?

Last edited by stefanhenchoz; 02-29-2016 at 10:05 AM.
stefanhenchoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:20 PM   #95
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

I've updated the original post at the start of this thread with some information regarding the reason for D clutch failures (reverse drum). As this is the primary failure mode of these transmissions, it's critical information, and I wish I'd known this in the past when working on different valve bodies. Thanks to rustypidgeon for passing it on, and again thanks to Erikssons where the information originated. It's must know information for those who plan to rebuild a valve body or are fixing a D clutch failure.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:56 AM   #96
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

I've posted some additional information about D drum failures at the start of this thread for those who are interested.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #97
alika808

My Ride: X5/525/325
I am just wondering if you could replace the solenoids (except the pressure control solenoid) without removing the valve body out from the transmission.
alika808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #98
stefanhenchoz

My Ride: '00 330i SE Touring
You probably could to be honest but for the sake of a few screws would make life a lot easier to Remove the valve body. There's plenty of diagrams out there explaining what you need to remove to separate it.
stefanhenchoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #99
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
Solenoids are very easy to remove on the 5hp19. No need to remove valve body.

Take them out and clean the screens.

Over 2 Billion Served !

BMWCaptain
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #100
alika808

My Ride: X5/525/325
Thank you for the info.
alika808 is offline   Reply With Quote