Cant decide Dynavin or OEM Nav? - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #21
aar0n_91

My Ride: 04 BMW325CI///MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 696BMW View Post
Stay away from the Dynavin V5 unless you like sub-standard chinese designed and built electronics, no support and lots of head-aches. Having a semi-OEM look is not worth the misery and disappointment you will suffer from buying one. Do yourself a favour, you bought a BMW, a marvel of engineering, do the same and buy something great from a reputable company in car audio.

God knows what I was thinking getting a V5, regretting it ever since...
One wonders what all these people are raving on about how great it is? Must be too embarassed about their purchase to tell the truth. I'm embrassed too, but I want to save others from it. Check out all the problems on the forums. Which aren't run by dynavin, coz you wont get **** from them.
i honestly have no idea what your talking about. mine works flawlessly. all features are great. the only one sub par is ipod connectivity due to the noise introduced on that source. i avoid it by using the aux input, usb or even sd card so no big deal!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Well, there is an OEM reverse camera, which works flawlessly...

And the Intrave II with MKIV Nav system is perfect for iPod functionality.
i had an aftermarket rev cam. worked great with oem nav screen. i also had a dice silverline pro which i HATED. never worked as it should

BMW 325 CI ///M-SPORT INDIVIDUAL
aar0n_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #22
Flybot

My Ride: E39 528
I have a MkIV and wide screen with Dice Ipod adapter in my M and the Dynavin in my 528. I hate using the MKIV now. No touch screen, iGo nav is vastly superior to the OEM, Im sorry to say, plus all the other stuff that comes with the Dynavin. And if you go with Dyanvin ONLY buy from [email protected] First rate service. If you try to save a few bucks on ebay for a Dynavin your SOL. If it wernt such a headache to install a Dyanvin on a car with factory nav I would do it on both my cars- No question!
Flybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #23
aar0n_91

^^^ its not a headache at all!!! all you need is the 5M fakra cable and your set!! and you can sell them OEM equipment for over $2000 which more than pays for install and the unit (thats what i did!!)

Old 05-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #24
bya8

My Ride: M3 vert
The only thing that pushed me to OEM is that XM is not available with Dynavin but I keep looking at Dynavin. DICE sucks. If I turn the streaming letters get double font, but normally they are small font. Still thinking of Dynavin since I've learned that you can BT XM.
bya8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #25
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by aar0n_91 View Post
i had an aftermarket rev cam. worked great with oem nav screen. i also had a dice silverline pro which i HATED. never worked as it should
The Dice is terrible with OEM Nav. The Intravee II is the only solution thats worthwhile for an MKIV:

Intravee II DIY and Review:
https://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=679659
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #26
bya8

My Ride: M3 vert
That's the functionality I always wanted. Damn DICE. Gotta change everything again. Anyone want a month old DICE DUO and sirius?
bya8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #27
mikevazquez

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I have the V3 and have not had a problem with it. It does what I need it to do. I play all my music through a usb jump drive.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App
mikevazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #28
696BMW

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
it has a lot to do with who you buy from.....
That is consolation for some, and don't get me wrong, you have gone above and beyond for your customers. Especially considering the company and product you have had to play representative, sales, support, installer, technician etc, etc, and fireman for.

The truth is, it is a terrible product, a Frankenstein of sorts, made up of whatever bits were cheap and surplus. From my observations, of all the Chinese products available like the dynavin, or should I say, that the dynavin is like, seem better equipped and featured, and cheaper. I found about 50 different companys pumping out about 4 or 5 slight variations of the same thing. They start about $400. The dynavin has hardware issues, software issues, firmware issues, like all of them I bet. But the others still look better. It is an ill-conceived hack job that apart from the moulded integration of the fascia into each individual make and model, could have been patched together by a 12yo electronic hobbyist on a weekend, But his would prolly have a smoother more logical and congruous layout and interface. It is quite literally a frankenstein.

It appears as though version and hardware changes, probably followed market trends and stock prices more then any aims of development. The sunplus chip is a step backwards, not that they had far to fall. Absolutely no development in software let alone a few god damn skins. Changing to Android may be their saving grace. (for a while) Due to androids efficiency compared to any windows shyte, so they will be able to stick with cheap slow chips longer then with wince, and the android factor will bring in more sucker... I mean customers. But Android coming out just makes me more pissed. Just another nail in the V5 (should have been called V5 alpha 0.001), meaning, something cheaper, better came along, they dont have to worry about MS chasing them for royalties, not like they ever paid them. No point in flogging a dead horse. So jump bandwagons and dump the orange haired step-child at the car-park and go. So any chance of our electronic fruit salad getting any meaningful updates is zilch. You would get a much much better all round result by saving $800 on Dynavin and install a cheapy chinese 8" $200 android tablet in a cradle. It will be infinitely more reliable, useable, 10 times more features. 3 times more cpu power, more attractive.

When Jeff and about 3 other people on forums, are the world authority and support for the rest of the world, it says something about the company. Just read the "About Us" on their website, What a crock! Lies and fabrication.

Changing to Android is great in theory, too late for my $1000 down the toilet, but I have no faith that the Dynatwits could come up with any reasonable product anyway. Still got that DVD/radio half from 95' to deal with. They wont even spend a few hundred on making some new skins. Still has the original skins from a home DVD player unit. What are the odds they'll spend money on software development on old models, that they already made their money on? If Motorola and Samsung and all these companies leave everyone high and dry in regards updates, what makes a 3rd rate chinese startup any different?

I fear Jeff's good work and support job, growing bigger then his business? And props to Vasilie too, starting and running the dynavin.freeforums website out of his pocket, after dynavin closed theirs!! Wonder why?
Think I'll wait for someone, anyone else to do a proper job with InCarAndroid before I get my wallet out.

To the naive...Unless you got some skillz, and enjoy tinkering do not buy this HU!
696BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #29
[email protected]
J&T Distributing

No offense but you have no idea what you are talking about. I deal with some "big name" brands as well as dynavin and I can tell you for a fact that dynavin as a company is 1000 times more responsive and helpful than any of the big name companies. If you didnt get good service from your dealer that is the dealers fault, dynavin is working hard to improve their dealer network to make sure that the end users get good service, just like every other manufacturer they generally try not to deal with the end user directly, that is what dealers are for.

And as far as the unit itself goes, nobody said it was perfect, in my original review (before I was a dealer) I gave it a 6/10, later 7/10 for the V5. The dynavin has some faults, i pointed them out a year ago! But the other "big name brand" units have their own faults too....

Its unfortunate that you had a bad experience with your dealers support, and the dynavin obviously isnt for you, but it also obvious that most of the other posters here disagree with you.

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-25-2011 at 04:39 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #30
jmejiaa

My Ride: 2002 M3
I do have to say, I've dealt with some of these companies on my old VW - Audiosources to be specific. Like said above it was crap, and to be honest the Dynavin lacks a ton in the UI department. it looks cheesy and that's the main reason I haven't gotten one yet.

BUT ........... Dynavin seems a lot more responsive than the companies I've dealt with and Jeff seems to be doing an awesome job of keeping the product and company going at least in this community.
jmejiaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #31
opey

My Ride: 04 M3 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmejiaa View Post
I do have to say, I've dealt with some of these companies on my old VW - Audiosources to be specific. Like said above it was crap, and to be honest the Dynavin lacks a ton in the UI department. it looks cheesy and that's the main reason I haven't gotten one yet.

BUT ........... Dynavin seems a lot more responsive than the companies I've dealt with and Jeff seems to be doing an awesome job of keeping the product and company going at least in this community.
it doesnt look cheesy at all to me, especially the newer v5 and up. the older ones i could see you thinking its cheesy, not not the new UI. and android just tops it off..

IR/IR 6 speed
opey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #32
jmejiaa

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by opey View Post
it doesnt look cheesy at all to me, especially the newer v5 and up. the older ones i could see you thinking its cheesy, not not the new UI. and android just tops it off..
Show me a pic of the ipod screen......
jmejiaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #33
Flybot

My Ride: E39 528
This has all been debated and argued in circles long ago on threads far far away. If you dont like the Dynavin- great. Move on. Thank you very much.
Flybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #34
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmejiaa View Post
Show me a pic of the ipod screen......
psssh.... ipod screen? I've never seen it on my unit and probably never will. You're doing it wrong.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #35
opey

My Ride: 04 M3 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoff View Post
psssh.... ipod screen? I've never seen it on my unit and probably never will. You're doing it wrong.
who needs an ipod when you have 8-64gb of storage on an sd card... or streaming pandora or other internet radio..

IR/IR 6 speed
opey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #36
[email protected]
J&T Distributing

yep, my 32GB card is coming tomorrow......my ipod is retired.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #37
1024m3

My Ride: 04 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
yep, my 32GB card is coming tomorrow......my ipod is retired.
Would your itunes library work on that Jeff?
02 X5 sold
08 X5 4.8
04 M3
98 Taurus Beater
1024m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #38
aar0n_91

love the dynavin. dont be turned off by a pessimist!!

Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #39
loginfailed

My Ride: My buddies 350hp
I like my "Frankenstein" Dynavin V5.

It has it's quirks, that is true. But the form, fit and function is very acceptable for the price invested.

The $30 eBay backup camera is a nice add-on I highly recommend.

Also, as mentioned above, your choice of dealers can make a huge difference if you run into any issues.

Jeff was very flexible and easy to contact. When I had an issue, he helped me resolve it quickly.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #40
eezeekial

My Ride: 2004 smg
Which backup camera did you go with? Can you show me pics of the screen in action?
eezeekial is offline   Reply With Quote