What is this bushing (its cracked at the bottom as seen called inside the wheel well, - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2019, 10:00 AM   #1
Dongislong970

What is this bushing (its cracked at the bottom as seen called inside the wheel well,

What is this specific bushing inside the wheel well? As seen in the image its cracked, i need to replace my lower control arm bushings as well. Also While accelerating in while in 2nd through 5th gear at about 2,000+rpm i get a bad rumble/thumping to where the car barely accelerates. I've recently replaced the flex disc and center support don't think it would be that again. But it's a similar sound/feeling to when a flex disc and center support give out. This only happens while accelerating in 2nd-5th gear at about 2,000+rpm but 1st i can fully press the gas full acceleration and hit 7,000rpm no problem but once i shift into 2 it starts to thump and shake hard as if the flex disc or center support is worn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	207E39B9-0A0C-430F-86B7-9365C8B503BC_1564671073396.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	780939   Click image for larger version

Name:	076A5B05-C478-40B2-9ABA-EA76608A8B2D_1564671086912.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	780941  
Dongislong970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
sway bar-burritos. definitely replace them. if those are that bad, everything is 40x worse. it takes a LOT to get the sway bushings to get that bad. a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
HayWagon

My Ride: 03 330iT
Sway bar bushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
sway bar-burritos. definitely replace them. if those are that bad, everything is 40x worse. it takes a LOT to get the sway bushings to get that bad. a lot.
Yeah.. I've pulled apart numerous beat to hell E46 parts cars... A sway bar bushing split like that is a first.
What I find more interesting is the big gap that has formed on the bracket side.

*edit: Yes, I know they are split like to that to allow instillation. I should have said "squished".

Last edited by HayWagon; 08-01-2019 at 10:31 AM.
HayWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
That's your swaybar ("stabilizer") mount bushing. #2 here:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fey.png
Views:	108
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	780955  

Current:
•
•

Past BMWs:
•
•

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
What is this bushing (its cracked at the bottom as seen called inside the wheel well,

Isn’t it just installed incorrectly?

There’s a split from the factory that you use to install it. It looks like it just needs to be rotated.

Edit: rotated 90 degrees?

Edit edit: definitely needs to be replaced tho.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Are you getting hot air no matter where you set your A/C in your E46? Check out this ancient thread! Chime in with your experience:

Last edited by swordsman11868; 08-01-2019 at 11:26 AM.
swordsman11868 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
HayWagon

My Ride: 03 330iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post
Isn't it just installed incorrectly?

There's a split from the factory that you use to install it. It looks like it just needs to be rotated.

Edit: rotated 90 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
The install slit is on the bottom of the bushing, it's in the correct orientation in the photo... just mangled.

Last edited by HayWagon; 08-01-2019 at 10:57 AM.
HayWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #7
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
you'll also notice a lot of oil soak around that area. oil could've eaten it up.

that e46 needs a butt load of work.

|
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote