What color calipers? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
geoffreydean

My Ride: 2003 325xit
Year: 2003
Model: 325xi Touring
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
What color calipers?

I have a beautiful, bright red, low mileage 2003 Touring. Wanting to make the stock alloys look better with new rotors and caliper refresh. Do I go with red? Match the body color or go with a subtle silver/gray? Or something else?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Geoff from Indy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

geoffreydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Multi-piston fixed calipers are the only ones that should be painted, IMO.

I say match the factory bare metal finish as close as you can.

Current:

Past BMWs:

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
armenh7

My Ride: 325i (Turbo M54B30)
The factory silver looks great. It isn't too flashy but also doesn't look dull

Not so complicated install of BMW Tools (Windows XP, 7, and 10)

PA Soft
Driver:

Program:
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
MJC12

My Ride: 2001 330i
Transmission: 5 Speed
What wheels do you have on the car?

My vote is also for stock silver as it will look good with some clean rotors but if you have some heavily spoked wheels that cover most of the brake components I could see some other color working without being too flashy.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #5
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
I'd go with reman calipers which have a stock unpainted sheen.

anything else makes it look like a teenager trying to turn a daihatsu into a ferrari. the attempt becomes glaringly obvious.

Let the car and how you keep it make the statement. Not your calipers.

|
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #6
geoffreydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC12 View Post
What wheels do you have on the car?

Bone stock except for sport steering wheel I put on.

Geoff from Indy

Old 08-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #7
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
that car looks immaculate as is. and you'll very rarely hear me saying that about any car....do not ruin with painted calipers. seriously.

|
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #8
geoffreydean

Kind of what I was thinking. 50K miles and manual transmission. The underside doesn't look as nice. Lots of surface rust on the brakes, shocks and springs. Need to replace some of that stuff anyway. I'd like to have real nice looking brakes under those wheels.

Geoff from Indy

Old 08-02-2019, 09:06 PM   #9
Solidjake
Shifting

My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
Remanufactured calipers are NOT painted and will RUST very fast. You will need to paint them

Go with silver

-
-

-
-

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #10
604Beamski

My Ride: 2005 325i
I also vote silver or a "cast aluminum" colour. will look like a reman caliper but will not rust!

LF: Koni yellow rear shocks (non-sport FL sedan), gloss black kidney grills
604Beamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #11
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Or lime green.

Seriously, you're getting some good advice here.
Leave them alone.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:04 PM   #12
DönerPorsche

My Ride: 325xi, 323ci, 316i
Model: Sedan
Transmission: Manual/Auto
Since a lot of reman calipers have the coating sandblasted off I would recommend painting them. I painted mine black because I did not find silver high temp paint at the parts store that day. The black still looks fairly stock and most important protects it from rust. Mainly its just important just that remanufactured calipers are coated with something to prevent the calipers looking like giant rust blocks after 2 months. I agree to use silver if you do it for looks.
DönerPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:40 AM   #13
tcphoto

My Ride: E92 335 MT Coupe
Silver or black because they’re not big brake kits. I went with black and it’s held up well for three years now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CDB25FCA-9AE5-42A8-80E0-C2A30FB735CE.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	781049  

tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #14
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
dmax green

this question comes up every 4 months. and it’s always ends between Silver and Black. I like black because it stands out against the shinny rotor. and still has a classy subtle sportiness to it.

on your clean stock wagon I think Silver would be best to give the calipers a cleaned-up stock look. just do not paint the pads or the anti-rattle clip to give contrast.
if your rotor “hats” aren't treated/painted I would do those also.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #15
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
Now I want to paint my rotors and calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Are you getting hot air no matter where you set your A/C in your E46? Check out this ancient thread! Chime in with your experience:
swordsman11868 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:23 AM   #16
darkfires102

My Ride: 325xi, '07 E60 M5
Transmission: 5spd Manual
On a single piston caliper, i'd just go gunmetal grey, or silver. No gloss. No need in showing off our brakes. If a "mod" is entailing a 5 dollar rattle can, just keep it simple, stupid.
darkfires102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:31 AM   #17
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
Personally, I think that drawing attention to anything in particular takes the eye away from the total look. Our cars are beautiful...why draw the eye to a piece of metal hiding behind a wheel?

You want people looking at your car or you. Also, I know from experience the shame you feel when a lovely woman looks at your car, then you, then down at your green calipers--it's a look somewhere between disgust and pity.

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:21 PM   #18
Notaligned

My Ride: 328Ci
I did silver and regretted it quickly. The brake dust looks nasty on it and once it eats through in some places the rust stands out. Black only from now on.
Notaligned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:56 AM   #19
Bmsluite

My Ride: 2004 330i
Get them zinc plated. Otherwise just let them rust. Any paint will fade and rust. Or just look horrible after 3k miles. My front are reman and zinc plated and still look good. My rears were reman and they painted them silver but they rusted within a month.
Bmsluite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:49 AM   #20
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3/01 330iT 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I'd go with reman calipers which have a stock unpainted sheen.

anything else makes it look like a teenager trying to turn a daihatsu into a ferrari. the attempt becomes glaringly obvious.

Let the car and how you keep it make the statement. Not your calipers.
It's not often I'm 100% in agreement with Mango, but I am about this. Dead on.

Not a fan of painted calipers. IMHO it's obviously trying to make them something they are not.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote