How long does a Duralast Waterpump last? Here is your answer - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
Rocket22

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
How long does a Duralast Waterpump last? Here is your answer

44,516 miles, installed in 2011. It did not wear out slowly, it grenaded within 30 miles of making noise. Complete bearing failure and loss of coolant,

I was able to shut down car within 1 mile and no damage. New WP installed under warranty, new fan clutch ordered.

Time to do the OFHG and Expansion tank as coolant is low now.
Rocket22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
Data point taken. But were your tensioners (not just the pulleys) refreshed? Keep in mind that tensioners are the suspension (shocks) for your belt driven accessories, including your water pump. So if there's inconsistent pressure then that doesn't help your pump! Keep those pulleys *AND* ****tensioners**** refreshed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:04 AM   #3
Mango

Also, 44,000 miles for (what? $40?) is a bargain. An OE pump would've been $80 and need to be changed at 75k. So double the price, double the life. all comes down to what you are willing to pony up.

|
|
|

-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 11:19 AM   #4
Rocket22

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
full pulleys and belts done in 2011 - same this weekend

Wow, a response by Mango! I like many others on here might night post that much, but follow your guides and recommendations (as much as I can).

My 2003 is no longer a looker, but plan to keep it running as long as possible.
Rocket22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
Mango

^Thank you! Sometimes like the Dark Knight, I appear! or maybe a slightly dark Mango. You can decide

|
|
|

-
-
Old 08-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
curry

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket22 View Post
44,516 miles, installed in 2011. It did not wear out slowly, it grenaded within 30 miles of making noise. Complete bearing failure and loss of coolant,

I was able to shut down car within 1 mile and no damage. New WP installed under warranty, new fan clutch ordered.

With my e36 I had two BMW water pumps go out in a year. One of them grenaded and took out my radiator, fan, and fan shroud. I put in a Stewart and it lasted 100,000 miles before I sold the car. The first thing I did upon buying my e46 was to redo the cooling system and install a Stewart, all other parts were OEM.
curry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #7
Mango

Personally I don't recommend the Stewart pump. I put this to bed in detail, at great length, years ago. Got bashed and thrashed for it. Then people sorta started going... yeah.. you're right. It doesn't make economic sense, even in the best case scenario. I can easily do a 30 page write up on this in detail, bullet point. But that's the gist of it...

Go Saleri =) (OEM) or genuine.

Graf is even good.

|
|
|

-
-
Old 08-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
smolck

My Ride: 2003 330ci (manual)
I have seen MANY e46's with old pulleys and tensioners and they don't "eat" water pumps as a result. Especially with the mechanical tensioner, it gets looser not tighter so how is it harder on the water pump? It isn't.

I too had a Duralast pump fail on me within 6 months (probably less miles though). The plastic impeller sheered off and that killed it, (not bearing related).

Over 13 years of fixing these cars and I can tell you a graf pump from FCP Euro is $38 and you never have to buy another one. They easily last the 75k miles (I do mine every 60k) between recommended cooling system overhauls and FCP will warranty it.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff

Last edited by smolck; 08-02-2019 at 01:32 PM.
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:28 PM   #9
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Also, 44,000 miles for (what? $40?) is a bargain. An OE pump would've been $80 and need to be changed at 75k. So double the price, double the life. all comes down to what you are willing to pony up.
Nah I’ve always pointed out how inexpensive our water pumps are. Saleri is only like $43. had he bought from FCP Euro it would be Lifetime Warranty too. Heck Genuine BMW (which is Saleri) is only $75.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/33...rds=Water+pump

Since this owner has an automatic i might be concerned it was the fan clutch weight that contributed to the pumps demise.
Either way, correct coolant for the seals and proper change intervals keep the cooling system happy.
OP thanks for the Duralast info and glad no damage to car occurred.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #10
Mango

I'm not talking about how inexpensive our pumps are, but rather the math of the Stewart and how given even perfect reliability, it's not worth it given my *mango* replace everything every 75k motto (which you have been against and assume you still are) --I also, back then, explained the particular short-comings of the Stewart pump.

*That* is what I am talking about.

I remember this in fine detail. I know where most people stand on most topics. I have a memory like an elephant.

|
|
|

-
-
Old 08-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #11
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

Quote:
I'm not talking about how inexpensive our pumps are, but rather the math of the Stewart and how given even perfect reliability, it's not worth it given my *mango* replace everything every 75k motto (which you have been against and assume you still are) --I also, back then, explained the particular short-comings of the Stewart pump.

*That* is what I am talking about.

I remember this in fine detail. I know where most people stand on most topics. I have a memory like an elephant.
sorry my friend but your way off in your memory of my stance on this. you might not have been on the forum during this time when these came out and missed it.

here are just a few. notice in these few threads you're not even in one single one. my position has been from the start when EMP/Stewart first came out with these it's not worth the cost because stock should be replaced anyways at intervals.
2008 https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpo...8&postcount=15
2007 https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpo...6&postcount=25
2006 https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpo...1&postcount=10
2006 https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpo...8&postcount=13

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 08-02-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #12
Mango

You know me I'm locked and loaded on these topics.

Tell me *specifically* what you think I am way off on. *specifically*

Here.

Publicly.

|
|
|

-
-
Old 08-02-2019, 02:35 PM   #13
Mango

By the way if what you are talking about is, in some obscure post somewhere, you made mention of Stewart--no.

I am talking about large scale mass-scale Mango style beat downs. Where I shout from the mountain tops. Threads that engage (unfortunately) street fights. Massive stuff. I'll find more later but this is what I am talking about***********:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...n-w-parts-list)

I am the cooling grand wizard!!! !!

|
|
|

-
-
Old 08-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #14
curry

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Personally I don't recommend the Stewart pump. I put this to bed in detail, at great length, years ago. Got bashed and thrashed for it. Then people sorta started going... yeah.. you're right. It doesn't make economic sense, even in the best case scenario. I can easily do a 30 page write up on this in detail, bullet point. But that's the gist of it...

Go Saleri =) (OEM) or genuine.

Graf is even good.
I've read your comments on this. I disagree with you. I've had three BMWs, all have had water pumps go out, one broke apart and did catastrophic damage. I've had two Stewart pumps. Neither have failed. I will stick with Stewart water pumps.
curry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:47 PM   #15
Mango

Cracks knuckles*

ready to drop big famous e46f names with info i haven't revealed yet, but refrains* (at the request of the provider years ago)

It's not really about failure. But it can be.

And yes I know about the run. (some of you are probably wondering what the "run" is)

Where should I begin? How much time do I have? How bored am I.. (hehe this is fun!)

It's like starting my E46f career all over again.

Whatever is said, has been said. by large massive groups years ago. which i've addressed previously.

maybe i'll just copy paste old stuff.

It's fine... keep what you have. No ones telling you to take it out. I understand the need to defend what you've purchased, at all costs, even against the face of facts (science)

But I am telling you with the cooling power vested in me, I pronounce Stewart pumps a big waste of money.

I've built hoards of BMWs for myself and others. Never once have I recommended or installed a stewart. Just sayin'...

My graf has powered me through the socal canyons for 10+ years in excruciating triple digit heat, climbing hills, storming 911s. Never a single issue. And for 1/5th the price!

Ready to go 50 more pages. If I can find the time. Or it's really needed. but please don't make me type more...

|
|
|

-
-
Old 08-02-2019, 03:04 PM   #16
Eric Giles

My Ride: '04 ZHP, '01 325i
Send a message via AIM to Eric Giles Send a message via MSN to Eric Giles
Due to being in a pinch a couple of times and needing a water pump RIGHT NOW, I have used a couple of the Autozone Duralast water pumps. Both of them failed within a week....actually one failed in a day. I will never again buy another one. You might get lucky occasionally, but my data set tells me I am not going down that road again.

Somewhat on topic, I have been refreshing a number of E46 cooling systems over the last few years for people, and on ones that I am reselling. I have found a number of the original water pumps still in these cars, working perfectly fine over 15 years and 100-150k miles later. Not even noisy, and barely..if any..bearing play. Not saying you should just disregard your water pump and keep the original in there...but I am seeing that the original water pumps are pretty reliable overall. Most of these still had the original expansion tanks, thermostats (which seem to fail more often), and hoses. Once again, not saying you shouldn't change any of that...obviously that is what I am doing for preventive maintenance...but in some cases these systems have lasted much longer than expected.
'87 325iS

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...
Eric Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #17
Mango

^Yep know exactly what you are saying. The stock design is more than adequate and when fails, replacing it with... the stock design... is also adequate. Spending $300-400 on something that a $40-60 item does perfectly fine at doesn't make economic sense and provides no meainingful benefit. With such a vital part, you want to buy from a factory that cranks out thousands. Not dozens. Generally speaking on small scale parts-- You want to be one of the 3 out of 12 bozos that make up that statistic?

Don't miss the forest for the trees, guys...

The mango method is much bigger than appears. Think of my overall objective here which is to guide people to the smartest overall decisions =)

But it is also your money so knock yourself out if you disagree.

|
|
|

-
-
Old 08-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #18
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

Quote:
You know me I'm locked and loaded on these topics.
Tell me *specifically* what you think I am way off on. *specifically*
Here.
Publicly.
already gave examples above from 13 years ago.
here is my most recent stance on this just a few months ago.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpo...3&postcount=49

and my stance on just buying cheaper OEM and changing every 60K from 2007
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showth...hlight=stewart

perhaps when i dropped the mic from my sermon pulpit it hit your elephant head

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 08-02-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #19
DönerPorsche

My Ride: 325xi, 323ci, 316i
Model: Sedan
Transmission: Manual/Auto
Emphasis should be placed more on maintaining correct coolant levels on these cars. Heating and cooling cycles does take a toll on plastic parts but so does the pressure on a closed cooling system. Over pressurization is probably the biggest enemy on the cooling system on these cars.

I see the economic concept of the water pumps and stock is fine. I will say that my experience with the Stewart water pump has served my 323 well for over 7 years and 80,000 miles of hard driving on German Autobahns with long trips since my wife was 200 miles away. It is also still working well in the Virginia heat back in the United States. I bought another one for my recently purchased 325 because of it. My 316 in Germany on the other hand blew the stock water pump at less than 60,000 miles. I put a Behr pump in the 316 with no problems so far but that was because there was no Stewart for the M43 engine. Maybe I overpaid for a water pump but I am completely happy with the product.

On topic though, Duralast products in general have been in decline over the past 10 years. Their battery is about the only thing I will still buy from them. The days where they sold rebranded OEM parts have gone and now its mostly rebranded cheap aftermarket.
DönerPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:48 PM   #20
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket22 View Post

My Duralast pump lasted a year and 19k miles. Put in a Stewart and called it a day.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote