Help with Fuel Pressure Testing - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2019, 01:42 PM   #21
smolck

My Ride: 2003 330ci (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC12 View Post
Yeah, idk, I think Mango's intent here is to help save me some time or money
Ive been around long enough to know his intent is likely to prove how much he thinks he knows about the E46. If you save time or money as a result it is just a nice byproduct of the self love he has.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by smolck; 08-02-2019 at 01:42 PM.
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #22
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
So by your rationale all of us who properly test and diagnose problems BEFORE throwing parts at the car are wasting our time? I disagree. Anyone can throw parts at a car.
At the E46, for items such as the fuel pump, yes.

For a Pontiac Firdbird that requires dropping the tank/rear axle assembly and $900 part? Yes diagnose away.

The pumps on these car are chump change and a known failure point AND easy to access.

I've done this song and dance countless times here and am ready to counter anything you say and ground your argument into fine dust.

Disagree, fine. But be respectful.

Most people driving E46s don't have car payments, so there should be zero complaints about replacing a known failure point that's critical to getting from point a to b and that can be replaced with simple hand tools in less than 20 minutes.

|
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #23
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
As for filters... do i really need to explain why diagnosing a filter is a waste of time... <--- (dot dot dot)

|
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:54 AM   #24

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC12 View Post
Yeah, idk, I think Mango's intent here is to help save me some time or money but... I'm going to troubleshoot as issues come up as opposed to following an estimated schedule based on other peoples situations which are likely not a 1:1 comparison. Yes an E46 is an E46 but driving style, environment, part manufacturer, best-of-best vs worst-of-worst parts, etc all make a difference and following the "schedule" may not always be the best answer.

If I get high fuel trims which escalate with rpm I'm going to suspect a fuel starvation issue and test my fuel pressure. I'm not going to look at my maintenance history and rule out my fuel pump/filter just because I replaced them fairly recently. I'm going to test the the system, part by part, until I know the cause and then I'm going to fix it.
I don't think so. You take it to it's extreme and why would you spend ANY money on tools? Just take it to a mechanic and pay him to use his tools on your car instead. A lot more expensive too. A hell of a lot more. No need for diagnosis either. No need for forums like E46Fanatics too. Dumb.
74123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #25
MJC12

My Ride: 2001 330i
Transmission: 5 Speed
Oookay so I was finally able to get a fuel pressure reading. With key in the ON position the gauge read 49 psi and then dropped down to 43 psi after a few seconds and held there for 30+ minutes. This seems to be in spec so the pump and regulator are doing fine.

As far as what kit I can recommend... honestly neither. The first kit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) didn't fit the E46 schrader valve. The second kit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) has an adapter that fits perfectly on the E46 but the gauge was broken... when I tried to use it the face of the gauge filled with gas... So I used the gauge from the first kit with the adapter from the second kit (as Ray did). So I guess go with the second kit and hope QC doesn't screw you...
Old 08-06-2019, 01:57 PM   #26
Rolyak

My Ride: 2003 325i Touring
What I did!

I pretty much go along with Mango and jfoj on fuel pumps but with 72K on my 3 yr. old pump I thought I'd like to see if I had soft failing pump?

I have a Snap On fuel psi. gauge but no adapter and none of my tire psi gauges would work so I removed the Schrader valve and adapted a piece of high pressure fuel line hose and clamped it to the rail.

Sounds a bit cobbled but worked perfect for psi operating and residual checks.
Rolyak is offline   Reply With Quote