E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY: 12V Auxiliary Power / Secondary Cig. Lighter Under $10!!

36K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  CORVAIRWILD 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, this is going to be my first pictorial DIY so please take it easy on me :p
I have done a lot of mods for my car, on my own, but was always too lazy or excited to take pics. I know some people wanted to do this and needed information on it.
Oh, btw, please excuse the dirtiness of the car I need to clean it soon lol :excited:

NOTE: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU MESS ANYTHING UP WITH YOUR ELECTRONICS OR MESS UP YOUR CAR IN ANYWAY BECAUSE OF THIS MOD!
I'M PUTTING THIS AS A FUTURE REFERENCE FOR EVERYONE THAT WANTED AN EXTRA AUXILIARY 12V SOURCE IN THEIR CONSOLE!

Anyways, I tried to take as many pictures as I could and I edited all of them so here we go.

Tools Required
  • Power Drill
  • Utility Knife/Razor
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • Wire splicer (Optional but recommended)
  • Electrical tape

Parts Required
  • Victor Complete Lighter ($3.29 at Advance Auto Parts)
  • Bussman Inline Fuse 30A (Optional but recommended) ($2.19 at Advance Auto Parts)
  • Wire Taps (Optional)
  • Terminal Connectors ($1.99 at PepBoys) (You can always solder stuff too if your good at it :thumbsup: )

Other
  • About 2 Hours of your free time
  • Patience :D

First, take out the socket and screw off the socket housing and measure...

It measured out 22mm. Depends if you are using the same kind or some other brand...

Lets start removing the center console pieces, starting with cupholders..

Previous owner obviously spilled some coffee all over the place, I'll clean up some other time :tsk:

Lets remove the compartment we are going to be working on...

Remove the rubber piece from the compartment... From here on pics are pretty self-explanatory

Put the rubber piece back on and get your drill ready

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks for the write up. I know what my next DIY will be.

#19 ·
Way back in the 80's, my dad drove Cadillacs, and kept popping a fuse... a paper clip in the cig liter socket... I'm gonna look around for another spot, I put a socket above the emerg release on my Silverado pickup for my GPS, and for my Corvair Spyder, used a wiper/lamp sw pod, ground out one hole, and now have 3 sockets!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.