How to fix this antifreeze leak? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
BMWfever

My Ride: '06 330 Ci
How to fix this antifreeze leak?

My 330Ci has been stuck in garage since I bought it earlier in the month. (snowbound).

This evening I noticed a antifreeze leak on the floor . . . It appears to be coming from a temp sensor? at lower radiator hose connection, passenger side . . (photo attached). . .
-What is involved in fixing this? a o-ring maybe?
- How do I get the sensor out, looks like some kind of spring-clip?

I am brand new to BMWs and have a lot to learn.

Thanks,
-Ron

Edit with info I learned later, (in this thread and other places). ---------------------------

- this apparently is a common issue (leaking at the temp sensor)
- it was an o-ring, replacement = BMW # 13.62.1.743.299
- the sensor is easy to remove, but you will have to deal with the coolant
- I chose to drain the radiator, but if I had to do again, I think I would try to just pull the sensor and deal with any that leaks out.

Related links:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=oring
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=409007

To remove the sensor:
1) depress the metal clip on electrical connection
2) pull electrical connection straight up
3) depress two tabs on sensor and pull straight up

If you lose a lot of coolant and any point, be sure to crack open the vent when refilling.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leak.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	348858  

Last edited by BMWfever; 03-04-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Update with findings.
BMWfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
issacsierra06

My Ride: bmw 325i
unclip the sensor just by pressing the metal clip inward and pull up.... the just squezz the sensor's to taps and pull up!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
BMWfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by issacsierra06 View Post
unclip the sensor just by pressing the metal clip inward and pull up.... the just squezz the sensor's to taps and pull up!
Thanks for the quick reply! .

What is most likely the fix? Is there some kind of "o-ring" seal that needs replacing.? Hopefully not that it is common for the housing to crack etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Titanium3Series

My Ride: E90 330i
the o-ring on this part has been known to wear out and cause mysterious leaks. I have this problem and it only effects me in the cold.

Has anyone pulled the sensor out before? does it gush coolant when you remove the sensor?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Titanium3Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Kole

My Ride: e36 M3
Yes you will dump half your coolant out pulling this. O-ring gets heat set, leaks. Happens. I think a new one is only $15? Can't remember exactly.

edit: for new sensor, I wish I could find just the o-rings for everything on this car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Limiter? Ah bob saget!
Kole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
charlesberry

My Ride: 330xi
Oh how familiar I just did this. You first need to remove the electical wire from the sensor. There's a metal clip holding the electrical wire to the sensor. Take a screwdriver, and back off the metal clip, you do not fully remove the clip, but back it off about half way. Then pull the wire straight up and off. Move it out of the way. Next, on each side of the sensor is a plastic tab. To remove the leaking sensor, push the 2 plastic tabs towards eachother, or push them together and pull the sensor out of the hose. I had a few drops leak out but not much. Certainly not enough to worry about. Now, there's an O-ring that wears out and can be replaced. It's $1.00 part from the dealer. Replace the O-ring and reinstall.

BMW part number for this o-ring: 13.62.1.743.299

Also, check this out as it relates to your question.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=oring
charlesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
E46SaloonM
Account Under Review

My Ride: E46 Saloon
Get a o ring 2 $
E46SaloonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #8
BMWfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium3Series View Post
the o-ring on this part has been known to wear out and cause mysterious leaks. I have this problem and it only effects me in the cold.

Has anyone pulled the sensor out before? does it gush coolant when you remove the sensor?
Good to know I am not the only one, (I guess).

This ended up embarrasingly simple. I did not look from the top down prior to posting this question. As 'issacsierra06' described, the wiring harness is easily disconnected by pressing the metal clip inward. . . . then the sensor can be removed by squeezing the two side tabs and pulling straight up . . (easy to figure out when looking from the top).

I drained the coolant prior to doing this, so I do not know if coolant would gush out. (but I suspect it would). I have to admit though, if I have to do over again, I think it might be easier to pull the sensor, stuff something in its place to keep coolant from gushing out, replace the o-ring, and re-assemble . . . Some coolant will spill out, but it still would be easier than what I did --> drain coolant into bucket, remove sensor, fix o-ring, start pouring coolant back into Reservoir, (only to have it overflow), clean up the mess, and now I am still not done because I will have to start engine to get all the air bubbles out, then continually check the level until convinced it is really full.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #9
BMWfever

Embarrassed again . . I did not see all the new posts prior to going to garage. Some good stuff there.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I did not replace the o-ring, but did some magic therapy on it. . . We will see if that works.

Thanks again!!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #10
bmwTuner1

My Ride: Bmw, 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfever View Post
Embarrassed again . . I did not see all the new posts prior to going to garage. Some good stuff there.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I did not replace the o-ring, but did some magic therapy on it. . . We will see if that works.

Thanks again!!
Please tell me you didnt put glue on it

bmwTuner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:24 AM   #11
BMWfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwTuner1 View Post
Please tell me you didnt put glue on it
No, not THAT bad!

Softened it up by soaking in transmission fluid. I was not sure it would work on the green ring (viton?), but it appeared to help, definately got rid of the flat spot on outside of ring.

If it leaks again, I will get a true replacement.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
khbiesfd

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
It cost $26 at your local BMW. I had to do this myself the very day i got this car. Its very easy. Let me know if you need help
khbiesfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #13
Messe46

My Ride: 325xi ZSP - ONRLS
Send a message via AIM to Messe46
DUCT TAPE!!!

Im sorry, but having an Aston Martin DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If youve got even half a scrotum its not going to happen.
-Jeremy Clarkson
Messe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:52 AM   #14
BMWfever

I thought I would summarize with a couple photos. The posts above explain quite a bit, but this photos might help also for anyone searching forum about leaks, or replacing the temp sensor.

I did not know to crack open the vent when I first tried to pour the antifreeze back in. If the vent is not open, there will be a large "air bubble" in the system that is hard to get rid of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sensor_w.jpg
Views:	1163
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	349908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent_w.jpg
Views:	1004
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	349909  
Old 01-19-2020, 10:09 PM   #15
BMWfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfever View Post

Softened it up by soaking in transmission fluid. I was not sure it would work on the green ring (viton?), but it appeared to help, definitely got rid of the flat spot on outside of ring.

If it leaks again, I will get a true replacement.
Almost 10 years later, it did start leaking again. The tranny-fluid soak did the trick for quite a while, but not permanent.

I replaced with new one.

Only mod = BSW Stage1 speakers