Girlfriend Backed up into my car help me? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2020, 05:05 AM   #1
Awemed

My Ride: 2003 BMW E46 330i
Year: 2003
Model: 330i
Transmission: 6 Cylinder
Girlfriend Backed up into my car help me?

About 2 months ago I was parked behind my girlfriend, she was in a "rush" to school and backed up right into my car.
I luckily had a friend that pulled out the major bump and I got new grills to also cover it up, but the right side isn't fully set into place, I think it might have to do with my front support as I can't find any dents in my hood. I also need a new left front headlight trim. I'm wondering if I should get a new hood or if a front support would just work, also if there are any other recommendations, I will gladly take them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1598.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	791921  
Awemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
///Mark_D

My Ride: 04 325i & 02 325iT
From the photo it looks like the hood is not fully latching on either side. The corners of the hood should be flush with each fender.

If this is as far as the hood will go down then the hood is probably bent too far out of shape to come down all the way. The radiator core support could also be pushed in and the latching pins on the hood are no longer lining up with the holes. (Item #1 on this diagram is the core support panel that the hood latches to)
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_3276

If you post some photos with the hood open that would help identify if there is damage on the chassis and not just the hood.

The core support is a bolt on part and can be replaced if it's bent, but you have to take apart pretty much the whole front of the car to swap it out.

The bumper cover looks pushed in as well... the impact may have compressed the shocks on the bumper bar that are meant to collapse in an impact. (#2 on this diagram)
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_3229

The cheapest way to fix this is going to be to find a car in your local salvage yard to pull parts from. You might even get lucky and find a hood in the right color. My hood had peeling clear coat and I picked up a good used one at a pick n pull for $60. The rest of the front end parts should also be relatively cheap if you pull everything yourself.

(Previous user name mjdehlin)
///Mark_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:58 AM   #3
Awemed

My Ride: 2003 BMW E46 330i
Year: 2003
Model: 330i
Transmission: 6 Cylinder
This is how it looks under the hood

If necessary, I can remove the cover for the hood if you want to see it better. As you can see from the pictures, my front support is bent in but all the latches attach with the hood except the left side is still not completely in place. Can you let me know what I should get, the front support or the hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1657.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	792015   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1655.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	792017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1656.jpg
Views:	22