Where to download BMW 1.4.0 scanner software - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #21
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt118 View Post
Guys need some info for scanner/programmer for my 01 330I, I got one off of Amazon and that retarded bunch that shipped it didnt tell me it works only for windows XP and 98, its 2014 no one dont use that crap. I have window 8.1.
It runs fine on my 64-bit Win7 machine even though they say it's not possible. Install should be similar to yours.

Search for the guide, I've seen at least two guides on how to do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:49 AM   #22
inline6bm

My Ride: 2002 325xi
BMW scanner CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerboy630 View Post
Hello I bought a scanner for my computer and the disk was cracked so I couldn't install it . Does anyone know where I can download it so I can use my scanner?!
try this site
http://bmw-scanner.software.informer.com/1.4/
inline6bm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:24 AM   #23
SilberVogel

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6bm View Post
Just checked your link and wanted to verify for anyone else looking that this is a reliable version of the software. Have seen questions in the past about downloading a "genuine" or "safe" version, and that's the same software that was originally available direct from the developer's website.

I posted the following information some time ago in another thread, and in case this link goes down like so many others, it may be useful to include it here, as well. Below are the MD5/SHA hashes (similar to fingerprints for a person) of P.A. Soft's official BMW Scanner 1.4.0 files. If the contents of a file are different, the hashes will be different.

Files can be verified online with sites like OnlineMD5 or with a downloadable tool like HashTab. Have seen a number of links for this and like to confirm what I'm downloading and installing. Hopefully this helps someone out in the future:

BMW Scanner 1.4.0 Full Version:

File: bmwscan_140.zip
MD5: DD3EC43B60758A8FE8A5137A7C6A597C
SHA-1: AF4670D5C8FF88CBDB757D819FD511D9F89B6F20

File: BMW Scanner v140 Install.exe
MD5: 0B9D5F141AB310F1F888870736ACF411
SHA-1: 62D73FA9E481ECA4AB2E46832C64D421A0517846

BMW Scanner 1.4.0 Demo Version:

File: bmwscan_140_demo.zip
MD5: 50B03569C92056C644765B6094ED8438
SHA-1: DEA2800FBE5D0361448C5D46D3987B8C06EC5308

File: BMW Scanner v140 DEMO Install.exe
MD5: F4944C9B12BF0652324D4FDC34652697
SHA-1: FA788528B4C9EBE8EB27B8D1C576852CB685E0F3

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let
help you save money with the parts.
SilberVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #24
Dallas Dan

My Ride: 2005 325i
Just received my BMW scanner. The dang CD was blank! So I just tried that link above: http://bmw-scanner.software.informer.com/1.4/

The download and extraction seemed to work, and it showed up as expected in device manager, etc. However, when I clicked on the shortcut on my desktop, It said bad shortcut. Also It's not in my program list, nor is it in my control panel list where I would be able to delete it if wanted. Tried the download twice. BTW I also couldn't get the driver to stick. Kept disappearing after it said install successful. In the directory all I have is:
C/
BMWScan140 (folder)/
BMWScan140.exe (folder)/
Drivers (folder)/
7 FTDI files

There doesn't seem to be a start up file (.exe) for this program. The .exe listed above is a folder name.

So I'm wondering... could it be my virus software (Webroot) or maybe just a bad zip file? I'm running Windows 7 premium home.

As an alternative, I saw this link on page one of this topic and wondering y'all can confirm it's safe: http://www.obdreaders.com/Diagnostic...ostic+Tool/14/

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!! _nr_

UPDATE: Got it done with the help of lilmenace91 who provided me a good copy. It's working now!

Last edited by Dallas Dan; 09-14-2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Dallas Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #25
Bim3Por911

My Ride: 328i & 911T
My experience with the P.A. Soft scanner has been mixed. It will run under Windows 7 and will read all codes but it has trouble clearing them. I loaded the software on an old Dell laptop running XP SP3 and it works just great. My car is a 2000 with the round under-hood "Pac Man" connector. The PA Soft device MUST be hooked up via an adapter cable ($7) to it. Connecting the PA Soft device to the OBD port under the dash results in only reading engine codes. Later cars with only the under-dash connector are likely to be fine. There is software out there on fleaBay for around $60 that does a whole lot more than PA Soft but at least for early e46s mandates a true Windows XP SP3 laptop with a real 9 pin serial connector and adapters to get you to the Pac Man port.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #26
Dallas Dan

My Ride: 2005 325i
Thanks Bim3Por911, My '05 is all through the ODB Port. Nothing under the hood with this model. And it turns out the Win 7 is not a problem as long as you get the right USB drivers, which I saw how to get from a couple other posts in the forum. Oh, and actual working software helps too!

Thanks to lilmenace91 for hooking me up with that software through drop box. You're a life saver!

Got rid of that pesky ominous air bag light. Tripped the error code when I connected the battery without the airbags connected, while I was replacing the window regulators. Doh!
Old 09-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #27
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
yes follow my DIY guide on installing the drivers for windows 7 64 bit. as far as windows 8.1 goes, I have not tried it and have no clue. perhaps that ftdi website could provide support for windows 8.1

Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.

NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #28
mikeetastic

My Ride: lots of 3
bumping this thread since i reformatted my PC and lost everything.. anyone can PM me the full version of the software please or post a link here?

which one is the best to use? i see version 1.4.0.5 to 1.4.0.9??

Thanks..
mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #29
SilberVogel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeetastic View Post
bumping this thread since i reformatted my PC and lost everything.. anyone can PM me the full version of the software please or post a link here?

which one is the best to use? i see version 1.4.0.5 to 1.4.0.9??

Thanks..
The link six posts back is still active and is the full version. It's v1.4.0.9 (19.09.2011).

Old 01-22-2015, 06:42 PM   #30
Tassie Girl E46

My Ride: 2005 E46
Hi guys, i too received my scanner from Xcar360 and my mini cd was snapped clean in half. I have downloaded the zip file and install it but it says there are no drivers installed. Does anyone have the solution? I am going crazy.
Tassie Girl E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:40 AM   #31
SilberVogel

Are you trying to run it on a Windows 7 64-bit machine? If so, there are a couple extra steps required; here are some links that will help with drivers:

Post #1: https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=942966

Post #7: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4#post23146094

Believe the first link above was all I used, and everything worked flawlessly.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:17 PM   #32
Tassie Girl E46

Thank you SilberVogel, I'm running windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. I did the first step you linked for me and finally the software says it has drivers but now when i try to open the software it says Faulty hardware. do you know what i need to do now? I can't believe everything I try to do with my car takes twice as long or is too hard to acquire. Like my automatic transmission that I need. Living in Tassie sucks sometimes but mostly it is a little paradise.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:21 AM   #33
SilberVogel

Make sure the unit is plugged into the car first, as it gets its power from the OBDII port, not the USB cable. If it's not plugged into the car, you'll get that "faulty hardware" message.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:50 AM   #34
Tassie Girl E46

Yep it was connected and key in position 2,
and then out of frustration position 1 and then 3 and then off lol nothing worked.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #35
MasonA

My Ride: 2004 SilverBMW 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmenace91 View Post
i made a ISO of it and its uploaded on my drop box. pm me ill send it over.

Can I get a Dropbox link your pms are full
MasonA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #36
SilberVogel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie Girl E46 View Post
Yep it was connected and key in position 2,
and then out of frustration position 1 and then 3 and then off lol nothing worked.
That seems to be one of the most common causes for it, but unfortunately, beyond that I'm not sure of what all else can trigger it. The instructions in those previous two links have worked for well for others, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in with another solution.

If it were me, I'd probably start fresh with a clean install just to make sure nothing got hung up along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonA View Post
Can I get a Dropbox link your pms are full
The most recent link in post #22 is still active and is the full version.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #37
Tassie Girl E46

I finally got it to work this morning. I didn't do anything different. Thank you for your help and patience.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #38
SilberVogel

Awesome! Good luck with your coding.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #39
MJB9

My Ride: 525i e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Dan View Post
Just received my BMW scanner. The dang CD was blank! So I just tried that link above: http://bmw-scanner.software.informer.com/1.4/

The download and extraction seemed to work, and it showed up as expected in device manager, etc. However, when I clicked on the shortcut on my desktop, It said bad shortcut. Also It's not in my program list, nor is it in my control panel list where I would be able to delete it if wanted. Tried the download twice. BTW I also couldn't get the driver to stick. Kept disappearing after it said install successful. In the directory all I have is:
C/
BMWScan140 (folder)/
BMWScan140.exe (folder)/
Drivers (folder)/
7 FTDI files

There doesn't seem to be a start up file (.exe) for this program. The .exe listed above is a folder name.

So I'm wondering... could it be my virus software (Webroot) or maybe just a bad zip file? I'm running Windows 7 premium home.

As an alternative, I saw this link on page one of this topic and wondering y'all can confirm it's safe: http://www.obdreaders.com/Diagnostic...ostic+Tool/14/

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!! _nr_

UPDATE: Got it done with the help of lilmenace91 who provided me a good copy. It's working now!
I had the exact same problem about a bad link. Can you send me link to download that you got from lilmenace91?
MJB9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #40
lilmenace91

My Ride: hookedup CIVIC Si
Send a message via AIM to lilmenace91
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqdecqaxob...ANNER.iso?dl=0. Hope this works guys!

-------------------------------------------------------
E46 330Ci 2004
sports pkg
cold weather pkg
window tints 35% all around
dynavin w/ android

^^^^^ this is upsetting i need more to add to the list.

lilmenace91 is offline   Reply With Quote