Magnum R/T or keep 325XI - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #1
90limited

Magnum R/T or keep 325XI

Well, I'm on the fence... I like my 325Xi touring, but she is not the fastest thing on the road. The driving experience is nice but miss having ample power. My 325 touring is an 2001 and has 92k miles on the clock.

I have the opportunity to pick up a well maintained (with records) Magnum R/T Hemi awd. Stock except for a cat back exhaust (sounds amazing). It has 142k miles. With proper maintenance the Hemi seems to have good longevity.... I will give up a little MPG but not much amazingly. When comparing real world MPG numbers on the fuelly website only couple MPG.

The above notwithstanding I have never driven a Magnum and also understand I am asking BMW lovers about a Dodge......
90limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
ALPIN3

My Ride: E46 M3 & E46 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90limited View Post
also understand I am asking BMW lovers about a Dodge......
Don't think you'll find much support for the Dodge as far as drivability. If your wagon is in good working order and maintained well...maybe a supercharger is in order? They aren't as expensive as they used to be, especially if you DIY the install. Just one biased opinion.
ALPIN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:34 PM   #3
90limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPIN3 View Post
Don't think you'll find much support for the Dodge as far as drivability. If your wagon is in good working order and maintained well...maybe a supercharger is in order? They aren't as expensive as they used to be, especially if you DIY the install. Just one biased opinion.
Quick search showed a Vortech system for $4500 plus software. That is more than I paid for the car......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
The Magnum, albeit an uncommon vehicle, is built on/with common, proven hardware (Mercedes W210 chassis, Mercedes 5AT, stout 5.7L Hemi).

You'll have some nice advantages with it over your Touring. Drive it and see if it connects with you.

Out of curiosity, how much is it going for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:51 PM   #5
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
It definitely sounds like you're leaning toward the Magnum. If you're prioritizing extra oomph, there aren't any cheap or easy solutions for your E46.

Personally, I think the Magnum is a crude, ugly car compared to the E46, but together with the extra muscle, that can have a certain appeal.

As Knight said, drive it and see if you like it.

Current:

Past BMWs:

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #6
docnabimmer

My Ride: 2004 325XIT
Year: 2004
Model: 325XIT
Transmission: standard
MOPAR or no car now??lol I did have a Dodge its a 01 Chrysler Town and country 3.3 poochmobile. Like they said, drive it see if you like it and if your local - let me check that 01 325xiT of yours before u sell it to everybody else.
docnabimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:01 PM   #7
89325iguy

My Ride: 325i,'89,'03
Transmission: Manual
I think I would advise you to search for en e46 touring with the m54b30 in it, if such a thing exists? Or, gauge how much the Dodge will cost to buy vs. dropping an M3 motor into your touring.

89325iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89325iguy View Post
I think I would advise you to search for en e46 touring with the m54b30 in it, if such a thing exists?
Only swapped.

Quote:
Or, gauge how much the Dodge will cost to buy vs. dropping an M3 motor into your touring.
Presumably he'd sell his E46 offset the cost of the Magnum, so that distorts the comparison somewhat.

Current:

Past BMWs:

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:20 PM   #9
90limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post

Out of curiosity, how much is it going for?
asking $6900

Last edited by 90limited; 01-15-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:29 PM   #10
90limited

pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magnum.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	791757  
Old 01-15-2020, 06:34 PM   #11
90limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post

Presumably he'd sell his E46 offset the cost of the Magnum, so that distorts the comparison somewhat.
Yup sell 325xi... After tires, cooling system rebuild, suspension bushings and new nav head unit I have $5600 in her. I would hope I could get that out of her....
Old 01-15-2020, 06:48 PM   #12
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
ive been looking for a nice Chrysler 300c. Same engine I believe. If you want more power you can't go wrong with a hemi

Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:23 PM   #13
Jimmy_B

My Ride: 2003 330xi Dinan S1
Could just be the lighting but I'm not sure about the blacked-out wheels on the Dodge. Also - those things don't wear miles well. They just seem to get, well, 'tired' in the way an e46 doesn't.

Would your budget get you into an E60 wagon? Or, blasphemy on here perhaps, an S4 Avant?

JB

PS another former Dodge-owner here; '74 Charger a while back. Looked fantastic, drove like poo.
Jimmy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:21 AM   #14
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
I liked the Magnum when it came out, not crazy about the white though. The last Chrysler I had was a 95 Concorde, just basic transportation nothing to write home about. The 16 spark plugs in the hemi might make you feel like you're working on an overkill german car. lol

Bad outer xi ball joint?

2003 325xi auto Stahlgrau

1998 328is 5sp
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:19 AM   #15
Knight

Quote:
asking $6900
Not a bad price if it's cosmetically clean and comes with detailed records.

Interesting to know how they drive. I've driven the Charger (ages ago) and a 300 (more recently) which share the platform and they were fine.

|
|
|
|
Old 01-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #16
smolck

My Ride: 2003 330ci (manual)
Quote:
Well, I'm on the fence... I like my 325Xi touring, but she is not the fastest thing on the road. The driving experience is nice but miss having ample power. My 325 touring is an 2001 and has 92k miles on the clock.

I have the opportunity to pick up a well maintained (with records) Magnum R/T Hemi awd. Stock except for a cat back exhaust (sounds amazing). It has 142k miles. With proper maintenance the Hemi seems to have good longevity.... I will give up a little MPG but not much amazingly. When comparing real world MPG numbers on the fuelly website only couple MPG.

The above notwithstanding I have never driven a Magnum and also understand I am asking BMW lovers about a Dodge......
Ive owned many of the 5.7 Hemi equipped cars. Depending on the year they are known for either dropping valve seats or the newer ones smoke cams because the MDS system uses substandard lifters which fail (lock up) and kill the cam lobe. Yes, the Hemi can easily do 250k miles, but those issues can creep up at any time.

My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the lifter issue at around 130k miles (here is the thread if you want to see pics of the mangled lifter and cam). https://www.jeepgarage.org/threads/f...ost-2021148165

My previous 07 Grand cherokee (also with the 5.7 hemi) was of the dropped valve seat generation and I sold it with 165k miles having never had any major issues with that car. The Hemi can also be made to produce a substantial amount of power with headers, a cam and the 6.4L intake manifold.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff

Last edited by smolck; 01-16-2020 at 12:08 PM.
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #17
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Ive owned many of the 5.7 Hemi equipped cars. Depending on the year they are known for either dropping valve seats or the newer ones smoke cams because the MDS system uses substandard lifters which fail (lock up) and kill the cam lobe. Yes, the Hemi can easily do 250k miles, but those issues can creep up at any time.

My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the lifter issue at around 130k miles (here is the thread if you want to see pics of the mangled lifter and cam). https://www.jeepgarage.org/threads/f...ost-2021148165

My previous 07 Grand cherokee (also with the 5.7 hemi) was of the dropped valve seat generation and I sold it with 165k miles having never had any major issues with that car. The Hemi can also be made to produce a substantial amount of power with headers, a cam and the 6.4L intake manifold.
What are your thoughts on the SRT Hemi variants (6.1L and 6.4L)?

|
|
|
|
Old 01-16-2020, 12:51 PM   #18
apseagle

My Ride: 02 325xi 5 speed
As a professional mechanic, I would never, NEVER own a Dodge, Chrysler or Jeep vehicle. Ever. No matter how cool they are (and they are).
apseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:04 PM   #19
90limited

Apaeagle- can you elaborate? I know many Chrysler product that have over 200k miles with no major repairs. I know they got a bad rap back in the day with the trans in minivans but thought the newer stuff was pretty solid.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:00 PM   #20
apseagle

My Ride: 02 325xi 5 speed
Quote:
Apaeagle- can you elaborate? I know many Chrysler product that have over 200k miles with no major repairs. I know they got a bad rap back in the day with the trans in minivans but thought the newer stuff was pretty solid.
Lots of bad designs and execution all over the place. I can not tell you how many Chrysler engines I have condemned due to coolant/oil mix from leaking water pumps. All of the engines that ended in .7 seemed to be plagued by this. Electrical issues that simply can not be found and solved. Why on earth would Dodge, and only dodge, mount a battery temperature probe in a vehicle? Then mount it under the battery where corrosion eats it then causes a ton of electrical faults that never quite tell you to look at the probe. I have replaced a handful of engine ECU units with failed injector drivers. If the vehicle is over 10 years old good luck getting one from Dodge, they will not support it any more and aftermarket is no good because they are VIN matched to the car/truck. Speaking of ECU's, many models of Chryslers still mount their control for the alternator on the main board. Get a bad short, cook your ECU.

Those are things I actually see. The other is harder to quantify. I just feel, from working on them, that their quality is very poor. This was confirmed when I saw one of those "how it's made" shows of the pentastar engine factory. Unless you know what you are looking at, you may not pick things up, but, the attention to detail and the care in which those motors were being assembled was laughable at best. It was like Cletus and Jethro ran their production with their 3rd grade education. Just watching the video, as an engineer and mechanic, confirmed my belief that I would NEVER own one of their vehicles. One shot showed two guys stuffing piston rod assemblies into a motor. They were working from either side. One guy took the assembly, and then rotated the rings to make sure the ring gaps were positioned properly. The other guy (might be Cletus's cousin) just grabbed them off the shelf and stuffed them without even looking at the rings. I guess that future owner will just have to deal with reduced power and increased oil burn, oh well.

Compare that to the same type of shows showing BMW, Mercedes and Porsche engines being built. The factories were probably cleaner than a surgery room. Every part was matched to every other part for a motor. Piston/rod assemblies were grouped based on weights so the engine was balanced. The tech assembled them with the utmost care and precision. Such a difference.
apseagle is offline   Reply With Quote