Coolant Loss - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
Cooolone

My Ride: 330XI
Coolant Loss

Ok, I know... I apologize in advance for repeating another thread on the subject.

2001 330Xi E46, Cold start is rough idle, lots of smoke and losing coolant. After 30 secs or so, idle smooths out, and smoke dissipates. Or if a little throttle is given, it smooths out as well. No coolant (seen) in oil, under cap, or dip stick. No wet spots in and around engine, or on ground. No smoke while driving, no over heating or even hot temps. Heat works too.

Last year I replaced radiator, expansion tank, a few hoses. All was good. AC wasn't working so took it to BMW for a fix, got it working and then this happened soon thereafter. (No relation of course).

180k+ got car 3 years ago, put the last 45k on it and a slew of typical maintenance work all done.

Haven't pulled plugs, or performed coolant pressurization or compression test. I wanted to get some insight before I dive in.

My thoughts are Head Gasket? I've rebuilt engines, so not a problem if that's what needs to be done. Would ask for any links pointing the way of course, lol, if that's the case.

Is my daily, so want to keep it going.

Thank you for your thoughts...
Cooolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #2
Effduration

My Ride: '05 330CiC
A failed HG without an overheat is unusual, bug not unheard of.

A compression test is easy enough with a free tester borrowed from autozone. I suggest you do one just to rule it out.
Effduration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:51 AM   #3

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolone View Post
Ok, I know... I apologize in advance for repeating another thread on the subject.

2001 330Xi E46, Cold start is rough idle, lots of smoke and losing coolant. After 30 secs or so, idle smooths out, and smoke dissipates. Or if a little throttle is given, it smooths out as well. No coolant (seen) in oil, under cap, or dip stick. No wet spots in and around engine, or on ground. No smoke while driving, no over heating or even hot temps. Heat works too.

Last year I replaced radiator, expansion tank, a few hoses. All was good. AC wasn't working so took it to BMW for a fix, got it working and then this happened soon thereafter. (No relation of course).

180k+ got car 3 years ago, put the last 45k on it and a slew of typical maintenance work all done.

Haven't pulled plugs, or performed coolant pressurization or compression test. I wanted to get some insight before I dive in.

My thoughts are Head Gasket? I've rebuilt engines, so not a problem if that's what needs to be done. Would ask for any links pointing the way of course, lol, if that's the case.

Is my daily, so want to keep it going.

Thank you for your thoughts...
"No coolant (seen) in oil, under cap, or dip stick. No wet spots in and around engine, or on ground."

Sounds like my first failed ET. But you say it's only 12 month old. That's a mystery. Probably best to bite the bullet and do a compression test first. If it's good then yippee. If it's not then anything else is a waste of time.
74123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 12:48 PM   #4
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 Track Car
Whoa, slow down there horsie.

Could it be a head gasket, sure. What if it's dirty injectors leaking down fuel into a couple of cylinders and you yank the cylinder head off...?

I'd suggest some testing is in order before you attack any repairs.

Get a higher level scanner where you can see not only fault codes but number/times/mileage any faults occur.
Live data is a HUGE plus.

Hook up a fuel pressure tester to a warm engine, start & shut off. Watch for large pressure drop after an hour or two. If it does, could very well be leaking (drip down) injectors giving rise to your issue.
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #5

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMCar View Post
Whoa, slow down there horsie.

Could it be a head gasket, sure. What if it's dirty injectors leaking down fuel into a couple of cylinders and you yank the cylinder head off...?

I'd suggest some testing is in order before you attack any repairs.

Get a higher level scanner where you can see not only fault codes but number/times/mileage any faults occur.
Live data is a HUGE plus.

Hook up a fuel pressure tester to a warm engine, start & shut off. Watch for large pressure drop after an hour or two. If it does, could very well be leaking (drip down) injectors giving rise to your issue.
Where does the coolant loss fit into your theory?
74123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:48 PM   #6
Cooolone

Thanks for the responses, I have a code scanner, no codes though. I also have a compression test kit, so that's an easy one too, just wanted to pick brains before I rolled up my sleeves. Rough idle on injectors, maybe, but I'm thinking maybe coil packs because I haven't changed them and mileage is unknown on them, but no misfires are present, so that issue is a little befuddling too, unless it's HG which could cause the thought idle with coolant in cyclinder. Wouldn't the O2's be off then? Dump fuel or pull fuel based on exhaust? Hmmmm? Anyways...

Coolant is scary, all I keep thinking is I'll pull a plug and it'll be wet, dripping blue, lol. I hope not. Puff of smoke has gotten larger on start, is why I keep thinking HG.

I'll do compression test asap and update the thread.

Thanks again

Last edited by Cooolone; 01-14-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:50 AM   #7
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Puff of smoke on cold starts could be valve guides, if the smoke is blue. Condensation and coolant would be white, excess fuel would be black. Coolant pressure test might be in order.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 325xi auto Stahlgrau

1998 328is 5sp
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #8
Cooolone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
Puff of smoke on cold starts could be valve guides, if the smoke is blue. Condensation and coolant would be white, excess fuel would be black. Coolant pressure test might be in order.
Thank you for the suggestion, but the loss of coolant is the issue and thereby pretty much assures the smoke is coolant. The culprit is the question.

I'm not losing oil, or getting misfires from undetonated fuel which would cause black smoke. It's puffy white... Valve guides are interesting in any event and if so, I'm sure would also include a visible show on plugs when removed. Could it then also lend to rough start as oil is burnt off plugs...? But again, wouldn't explain the loss of coolant with no other visible leaks evident. Which brings my thoughts back to HG.

Just deductive reasoning... Should be fairly nice this weekend which will allow me to dig in. Compression test first, if good, then leak down or I'll rent the coolant pressure test kit and go from there.

But to assuage my fears... How bad is a HG change on the E46/M54 engine? Is HG fail typical or is it the head itself? Again, no overheating issues exist (since I've owned it). I've seen a lot of mention on the heads which of course is a concern. And with no untypical oil consumption for it's age, there was some, but replacing all the CCV fixed that. Is a full rebuild even worth it, or just replace HG and run it until fail? Swap engine later if it happens? These are the scenarios running in my brain, lol.

Last edited by Cooolone; 01-15-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:38 AM   #9
Effduration

Typical is a warped head due to an overheat..Doesn't sound like your situation. I have seen head gaskets fail without an overheat. Have also seen cracked heads. But both are uncommon.

Many people simply replace engines when faced with a head gasket. For most DIY'ers it is easier and about the same money, with less risk of failure. Depending on circumstances, I might do that, but I would then try to save the bad engine. I happen to think we might soon find it more difficult to source good M54 engines..probably not for a few years. I have 2-3 refreshed M54's ready to go into a nice car (X3, X5, E46, E39) that has overheated.

I have done several head gaskets, both in car (E39/E53) and on engine stands. Not too bad. All were successful.
- I always time-sert the block - whether it overheated or not - I own time-sert kit 1090 and it's a breeze.
- I pull the cams and timing gear using methods on shown on youtube (50;s kid)
- Getting the head/valves checked and res-surfaced by a machinist is first order of business. If the head can be saved (warped less than 12 thousandths), machining costs run $200-800 depending - I just had 3 badly warped heads straightened in an oven and then resurfaced. $800 for head repair does not make sense.
- If machinist has taken off 6 thou or less to re-surface, I use thinner (0.70mm) head gasket. If more, I use the thicker gasket (1.00mm)
- Don't buy the cheapest head gasket and head bolts. Aftermarket is fine though
- If I have the engine on the stand, I will likely also replace piston rings w/ upgraded M54 Mahle rings too..That way I have a refreshed engine that should not burn oil. This means new conn-rod bearings and conn-rod bolts . Yes this is mission creep.
- I re-time the engine using 50's kid excellent timing video and my timing tools

Last edited by Effduration; 01-15-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:47 AM   #10
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
+1 on finding a replacement engine if the head gasket is gone. New oil pan gasket and hard coolant pipes while the engine is out oil pump nut while the pan is off too.

Bad outer xi ball joint?

2003 325xi auto Stahlgrau

1998 328is 5sp
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #11
Sapote

My Ride: 2000 323i auto wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolone View Post

2001 330Xi E46, Cold start is rough idle, lots of smoke and losing coolant. .
Park overnight and remove spark plugs on cold morning looking for wet tips with dews.
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:33 PM   #12
Cooolone

Effduration, thank you for the wealth of information. Yes the HG job doesn't scare me, and I understand the value of going the extra distance (refresh). Body and interior is in pretty good shape and I've done a lot of other maintenance and upgrades that should give me a few more years at least. So...

Where are you located and what is the avg cost of salvage engine vs the parts for refresh including heads? Exclusive of labor of course, just looking to get an idea...

Car has sat a few days, started it today for a quick ride. Not too much smoke, low coolant light came on, rough start. Drove about 5 miles, sat and idled and SEL came on. A few codes, not unexpected...
P300
P1343
P1345
P0174

Compression test this weekend for sure!

Last edited by Cooolone; 01-17-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #13
Effduration

I am in MA and a salvage M54 3.0 engine is $500 to $1000. The cheapest way is to find a running parts car with this engine, test it for compression, buy it and part it out, keeping engine. I've sold a battery and a single spare wheel and got my $$ back before.

If you rebuild, the cost to machine head, new bolts, new head gasket, rent timing and time-sert tools is $350-$600. New piston rings, conn-rod bearings and bolts +$250

whether you buy a salvage engine or rebuild your own, you will want to refresh all the gaskets, seals, and most of the cooling components, including the hard plastic pipes under the intake. You will need new exhaust hardware and a few other things. This is $500

So

Replace Head gasket- only rebuild is $350-600 + 500 = $850 - $1100
Replace Head gasket + piston rings rebuild is $600 - $850 +500 = $1100-$1350

buy a salvage engine and freshen is $500-$1000 + 500 = $1000 -$1500

Last edited by Effduration; 01-17-2020 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #14
Sapote

My Ride: 2000 323i auto wagon
My wife overheated the our 2000 323iT twice: first time a cracked head and second time cracked head and pulled head bolts threads off the block. I just bought good used heads on ebay to replace and Timesert all head bolts threads. Everything else is good tight still running great with 10K oil change interval with zero top off oil needed. Why replace a whole engine if just head or gasket needs replaced?
VANOS timing without special tool.
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote