Manual Transmission Swap - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #21
tonyisok

My Ride: 323i Sedan
In preparing to code car (which isn't going well). I disconnected And removed Trans control module now cruise control does not work. Does Trans control module need to remain in car and connected in order for cruise to work?
tonyisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:56 PM   #22
Bill33

My Ride: e46
No but the clutch switch needs to be wired in. 50's kid video shows the wiring schematic for 3 wire.

If you already did that, pull the clutch plunger out about 1/2 way and re-set it (it is self-adjusting). Do the same for the brake switch (you have plunger style on both, I think I saw). Cruise is looking to make sure neither brake nor clutch pedal is depressed, and a small mis-adjustment will send cancel signal.

Further question--green cruise light is coming on, but it won't activate when you push the button, right?
Bill33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:23 PM   #23
Effduration

My Ride: '05 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyisok View Post
In preparing to code car (which isn't going well). I disconnected And removed Trans control module now cruise control does not work. Does Trans control module need to remain in car and connected in order for cruise to work?
I would code the car as a manual and then wire up cruise. In fact I would code the car as a manual before doing anything else.

No, in a car that has been manual swapped, you donít need the the old EGS computer connected to retain cruise control.

In fact unplugging /removing the EGS is a very good idea as part of manual coding. Many swappers have struggled because they left the EGS connected.
Effduration is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 01:42 AM   #24
Antti

My Ride: 330CI / 316 1.8i
Year: 2005
Model: 330CI M-Sport II
Transmission: Automatic
Hello
How you guys feel, will manual swap effect car value?
I have 100% original 330CI 85k miles with ZF automatic.
I am considering 6 speed manual swap. My car is 11/2004 facelift coupe.
It must be 6-speed Getrag transmission, to be OE. specific.

I am little bit worried how this will effect value, but i would like to have 6 speed manual for it.

BMW E46 316 1.8i Sport 2005 Mysticblau metallic /Showroom
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Renault Clio RS197 2007 Ultra Red

Last edited by Antti; 01-16-2020 at 02:50 AM.
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #25
Bill33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effduration View Post
I would code the car as a manual and then wire up cruise. In fact I would code the car as a manual before doing anything else.
There is no "wire up cruise", it is already in the DME software. Making sure the clutch and brake sensors are working and properly wired. That's where the cruise control circuit gets its info.

If everything is installed, as soon as you start the car cruise should work. The clutch sensor will disable cruise control and let rpms drop when the code tells DME the car has a manual transmission, otherwise pushing in the clutch lets the engine free-wheel. That's the ONLY reason you need to code anything.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:26 AM   #26
Effduration

My Ride: '05 330CiC
I was referring to wiring in clutch switches to activate cruise control. I have not done an E46 manual swap but have on an E39

Does an E46 automatic already have the elect connection for clutch switches? If it does then it's a plug and play. If not, somebody has to wire up the cruise control clutch switch so that it communicates with the DME.
Effduration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:41 PM   #27
tonyisok

The cruise was working before I unplugged and removed Trans control module.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:40 PM   #28
Bill33

You'll get better answers if you provide better data.|

1. Does the green light come on but pushing the buttons does nothing?
2. Did you reset all three switches in the pedals?
3. Did you wire all 3 switches EXACTLY like this?

TCU has ZERO to do with cruise working if you properly wire the manual pedal switches.

Cruise isn't working because one of the conditions above is faulty. I've done this swap literally DOZENS of times and it's always one of those two problems: improperly wired switches, switches out of range.
If the green light isn't coming on, you have a different problem.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:03 AM   #29
tonyisok

...supply better data....

I copied the 50s kid procedure from a-z....cruise control was working....At this point the car has not been coded for manual and transmission control module (TCM) was still installed with all the electrical connections plugged in. First disconnected battery. I disconnected wires from TCM removed TCM from ECU compartment (black box). Wrapped each connector litely with black electrical tape and set them in space were TCM used to occupy then closed box. Reconnected battery...next day during commute attempted to activate cruise...no green light...cruise no go... all brake litghts working..car will not crank/start unless clutch depressed. I have not inspected brake/clutch switch yet?

Last edited by tonyisok; 01-17-2020 at 08:27 AM.