S54 Touring update - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
nextelbuddy

My Ride: e46 ZHP
Year: 2003
Model: 330i ZHP
Transmission: 6MT
S54 Touring update

so the ZHp wagon didnt sell as fast as i wanted it too. guess it was a fluke that the last one sold so fast for full asking.

decided to just pull the engine and source a relatively low mileage S54 drive train. found a 143k S54 fro an SMG car. i went ahead and did the rod bearing service while motor was out along wit the resealing of the engine with typical required gaskets seals etc...oil pan, OFHG, VCG, Rear main...

bought a new LUK clutch kit for the ZF 6 speed transmission and bolted everything back together.

wired and coded everything like i wanted to, added rear door LEDs to the m3 cluster, coded the VIN and mileage and matched everything up. made sure EWS was all installed and working like it should.

got her somewhat cleaned up and took some new shots and video for a coming soon for sale post with details etc... (deleted the old for sale post wit the ZHP engine setup.)

im really crossing my fingers she finds a home to a true enthusiast soon. someone that will take care and appreciate the car for what it is. it truly is a comfortable FAST wagon that is quiet compared to an M3, nimble and tight all around still.

I love the little things I was able to update with this latest iteration such as:

- enabling the factory M3 Flat tire monitor system with the m3 cluster so i know if I have a low tire based on speed rotation.
- updating Cluster with proper VIN and miles for the chassis
- modding the cluster with rear door LEDs and resistors (George Hill does this with his builds as well)

this time i decided to get away from a grassy field... the car is silver so i wanted a back ground that would suit the colors an ones of the car and i love sunset as well so sunset at a recent new parking garage near my area and it was nice having the place all to myself with out a bother.

Here are the Videos and pictures. the video is just to show the general drivability of the S54 i the touring, how nice it pulls and shifts.

Walk around video

in car driving video at night 1

in car driving video at night 2

Old Pictures
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nextelbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #2
Steve M3

My Ride: E46s
Very nice build, as always. I am a bit jealous of the rear door leds in the cluster, nice work.

Your pictures are always on point, but I have to say that I prefer your grassy field pics more than the parking deck ones.
Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
I can't believe it didn't sell with the ZHP setup, but of course another top notch job. I have had such bad luck with Titan Silber cars I don't dare temp fate again! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
MJC12

My Ride: 2001 330i
Transmission: 5 Speed
+1 on surprised you didn't get anyone jumping at the ZHP build. Especially considering the attention to detail on the build and the listing... those are some beautiful pictures.

Do you have an expected asking price for the S54 version?
Old 10-31-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
nextelbuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
Very nice build, as always. I am a bit jealous of the rear door leds in the cluster, nice work.

Your pictures are always on point, but I have to say that I prefer your grassy field pics more than the parking deck ones.
lol than you, why do you like those better? is it a better contrast? more visually appealing? i love my grass field but i was just getting a little tired of it haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjsaabman View Post
I can't believe it didn't sell with the ZHP setup, but of course another top notch job. I have had such bad luck with Titan Silber cars I don't dare temp fate again! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC12 View Post
+1 on surprised you didn't get anyone jumping at the ZHP build. Especially considering the attention to detail on the build and the listing... those are some beautiful pictures.

Do you have an expected asking price for the S54 version?

thanks guys. me either but besides the really cool group of small forum members that seem to like and appreciate my builds (grateful for you all), overall no one else is really impressed by them. 3 replies on this but 174 views. so 171 people clicked on this and said meh.. if an S54 clean ZHP touring with alcantara interior doesnt really get a lot of attention then thats exactly why i dont put this on BAT.

i dont need this car selling tor 8k on BAT because most people think its meh, i want this car to go to another enthusiast that will appreciate, love and take care of the car years after its left my hands aka the "right" buyer because lets face it at the end of the car it really is a high mileage old platform that most people have moved on from.

same over on ZHP mafia group. i post pictures and updates and the for sale threads and it literally is tumble weeds over there. most people would rather drool and talk about stock cars and replacing little gaskets and seals etc.

im asking 15,500 for it. have a local person getting a PPI on it friday so crossing my fingers for that. i know it will go well, nothing to hide but they didnt put a deposit down so they can obviously walk at any time if something else fancy catches their eye between now and tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:04 AM   #6
Steve M3

My Ride: E46s
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
lol than you, why do you like those better? is it a better contrast? more visually appealing? i love my grass field but i was just getting a little tired of it haha

Much easier to focus on the car since the field is just a field where as the parking lot has a lot going on with the walls, backgrounds, parking lines, poles, etc.

Quote:

thanks guys. me either but besides the really cool group of small forum members that seem to like and appreciate my builds (grateful for you all), overall no one else is really impressed by them. 3 replies on this but 174 views. so 171 people clicked on this and said meh.. if an S54 clean ZHP touring with alcantara interior doesnt really get a lot of attention then thats exactly why i dont put this on BAT.

i dont need this car selling tor 8k on BAT because most people think its meh, i want this car to go to another enthusiast that will appreciate, love and take care of the car years after its left my hands aka the "right" buyer because lets face it at the end of the car it really is a high mileage old platform that most people have moved on from.

same over on ZHP mafia group. i post pictures and updates and the for sale threads and it literally is tumble weeds over there. most people would rather drool and talk about stock cars and replacing little gaskets and seals etc.

im asking 15,500 for it. have a local person getting a PPI on it friday so crossing my fingers for that. i know it will go well, nothing to hide but they didnt put a deposit down so they can obviously walk at any time if something else fancy catches their eye between now and tomorrow.

Really seems like most forums are tumbleweeds these days since everyone is using facebook. It's really a shame as forums have so much more to offer than a platform like fb, especially when it comes to older posts that can still be extremely helpful.
Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:12 AM   #7
adonnan

My Ride: M Coupe
IDK how often you check reddit, but I would really consider trading my Z3M Green Clownshoe for this. Check your pm's over there if you're interested.
adonnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:25 AM   #8
///Mark_D

My Ride: 04 325i & 02 325iT
Quote:

I'm one of the 174 people that didn't previously comment but my reaction was definitely not "meh." More along the lines of holy shitballs I need to subscribe this thread so I can find it later when I'm in the middle of my own S54 and anthracite interior swap. I'll probably have some questions later on regarding the cluster mods for adding the rear door LED's and a few other wiring related questions since you seemed to breeze through the swap easily. I picked up my wagon last fall and I'm still looking for a good donor M3. I also need to free up some space to actually work on my swap project but it's looking like this spring I'll probably pick up the donor and start pulling engines.

15k is a reasonable price if you ask me. That seems like it would barely cover the cost of the wagon, engine, interior, bumpers, paint, and other parts that went into your swap. Not to mention all your time and effort. Good luck with the sale and I hope you turn a profit on this thing. It's an epic build that I would be proud to own. I've just got the bug to want to build my own instead of buy.

(Previous user name mjdehlin)

Last edited by ///Mark_D; 10-31-2019 at 10:29 AM.
///Mark_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:38 AM   #9
Stigissimo

My Ride: 330iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mark_D View Post
15k is a reasonable price if you ask me. That seems like it would barely cover the cost of the wagon, engine, interior, bumpers, paint, and other parts that went into your swap. Not to mention all your time and effort. Good luck with the sale and I hope you turn a profit on this thing. It's an epic build that I would be proud to own. I've just got the bug to want to build my own instead of buy.
I'm actually quite baffled at how Shawn is able to price this so well.

I just completed my own build with much of the same maintenance/mods (bumpers, etc) and kept detailed records of my expenses. I can tell you that it would be extremely difficult to budget less than 15.5 to do a build like this yourself. You'd have to get lucky, or be some sort of freak wizard.

Props Shawn, apparently you're a wizard. I would love to rip this wag. GLWS

Last edited by Stigissimo; 10-31-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Stigissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:48 PM   #10
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
I am a lurker who is totally impressed by your work but have never commented, so I'm doing so today! I am equal parts (a) hoping you sell this quickly and (b) hoping you don't until I decide to get off the bench and pull the trigger myself. Like Stigissimo, I am shocked you can make the numbers work so well. Frankly, part of me thinks pricing it higher would eliminate the concern that maybe some people have - the thought as popped in my head as well - that at your price, you must have skimped somewhere! I hope that makes sense because it is meant as a compliment!
Old 10-31-2019, 04:18 PM   #11
ronburgundy++

My Ride: bmw
Does BAT not allow reserve pricing? I'd imagine the biggest problem with selling a car like this on enthusiast forums is that most people who actively post already have a car they have dumped a significant amount of cash into. I'd buy this car in an absolute heartbeat if I didn't already have one that I couldn't sell for even close to what I've put into it. I wanted an Xi to use as a ski car but then moved to the south
ronburgundy++ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:19 PM   #12
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3/01 330iT 6MT
If I were not already on the same path with my own car, I would have been seriously interested in the ZHP conversion touring. That was a smoking good deal. Can't believe no one snapped it up.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:24 PM   #13
jetattblue

I'm also a lurker, and that's a seriously cool car!
jetattblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #14
nickpiper12

My Ride: E46 M3 | E46 Touring
Usually I'm not a fan of TiAg cars, but very nicely done here with the M-Tech 2 bumpers. Alcantara definitely adds a nice touch as well that is different.

Love the details! Still have not had the chance to do the rear door LED's on my car yet.
nickpiper12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #15
markseven

My Ride: BMW M Power
Your photos are always artistic.
markseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #16
nextelbuddy

thank you very much everyone, appreciate the confidence and comments.

i wont lie, I price shop as wisely as a I can, i come into deals often and make the best of things that I can and I know a lot of part out people or I buy part out cars to have everything I need. the flipside is that I get stuck with a garage full of parts I cant sell and need to throw away or unload to the scrap yard.

i do all the work myself except welding exhaust so i save money there but pay for it with mental health and the most expensive thing in the world which is TIME. i spend so much time in the garage that life breezes by and thats the biggest factor of why im liquidating all my cars except my m3 sedan and X5. I just dont have the time or money to build and maintain cars to have a magnificent fleet like some other people can and when i see my red m3 sedan sitting in a garage for 80% of the year it makes me sad and shows me i keep trying the whole "i can have it all" complex which in reality i cant.

the Silver S54 wagon was completely done needed nothing other than an m3 washer bottle which i had plans to source until the buyer told me they didnt care about that and bought it anyways.

they took the car to a local shop called Eurofed here in Atlanta/Duluth and it passed with flying colors in their eyes apparently except rear output shafts had slight weeping but not a steady leak. they couldnt find anything o give the buyer ammo for price negotiation which i was up front and told them regardless of what was found the price wasnt changing anyways and they were fine with that aspect.

the black S54 touring on BAT sold for $13k i believe back in march this year and then again for $13750 which nothing of value added in that car since change of owner ship other than miles. so many things on that car i could pick apart and mention in the comments but thats not me..

things like:
- steering wheel trim delete which you can tell they did that because they couldnt get cruise control working properly due to the missing GPS sensor inline with the clutch switch wiring setup.
- completely stock body, no mtech body parts at all
- M3 Cluster not modified to show rear LEDs
- no factory TPMS/FTM
- no factory shift lights
- tall aftermarket RTD style shifter
- underhood looked a mess, dirty faded used parts like expansion tank, hoses, airbox etc...
- large 19s that dont fit the car
- loud aftermarket exhaust
- AWD DSC module that is very limiting and intrusive all around and if you ever want to dyno the car you literally have to unplug the DSC module harness.. even pressing DSC button to disable the system still leaves the system in a state where if it sees the rear wheels move but not the front wheels then the brakes start engaging as a fail safe for the AWD hill descent system (even if you disable hill descent in the module itself)
- rust in one key area

seeing a car like that and the trove of positive comments on BAT on the car really make ms sad i didnt put my example on BAT to see how it would have fared price wise and comment/critique wise.

thanks for the kind words on the photography, thats my other passion

Old 11-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #17
markseven

Shawn, market is capricious and impulsive... add to that spending during summer and fall (vacations, back-to-school supplies and clothes, Labor Day, etc), and you have a situation in which a hot car may sit for a while. You've done a really good job with it and I am sure that the right buyer is waiting in the wings, as they say.

Your photography is great. The composition and overall style is very nice (I prefer the grass / woodsy setting for light colors).
Old 11-07-2019, 02:37 PM   #18
nextelbuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
Shawn, market is capricious and impulsive... add to that spending during summer and fall (vacations, back-to-school supplies and clothes, Labor Day, etc), and you have a situation in which a hot car may sit for a while. You've done a really good job with it and I am sure that the right buyer is waiting in the wings, as they say.

Your photography is great. The composition and overall style is very nice (I prefer the grass / woodsy setting for light colors).
thanks Mark!!! the car did sell last Friday locally for $15,500. i have a red S54 wagon that was wrapped grey, pulled wrap off and its going in for Imola repaint next week. already took a deposit down for that car as well. selling it for $15,500 as well to someone in AZ

Old 11-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #19
markseven

Quote:
thanks Mark!!! the car did sell last Friday locally for $15,500. i have a red S54 wagon that was wrapped grey, pulled wrap off and its going in for Imola repaint next week. already took a deposit down for that car as well. selling it for $15,500 as well to someone in AZ
Woot!
Old 11-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #20
mikeetastic

My Ride: lots of 3
how did you source the back seat to match the zhp alcantara? re upholstered? beautiful car..
mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote