New guy e46 rebuild/learning curve. - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #41
DrewG5

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Year: 2004
Transmission: Automatic
I'm a A&P mechanic by trade, so working on cars isn't a huge leap out of my comfort zone. Just as a side note..

Anyhow I have a radio related question.. INPA reports no issues in the radio system, other than its muted - would this imply that the HK amplifier is in working order?

If so I would rather replace the factory radio with one from eonon with android instead of messing around attempting to do a super glue repair.

Sent from my SM-N950U using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by DrewG5; 04-10-2019 at 11:03 PM.
DrewG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #42
DrewG5

Yesterday the new bank 1 and 2 o2 sensors arrived. Along with some of the intake gaskets - so I swapped them out. Did not expect a huge difference rather a better response. The originals as 147k miles where plenty due. That's exeactly what happened better responce.

The big brown box truck is due to arrive with the remainder of the parts and pulling the intake will comence. Either way new gaskets and new vacuum lines will happen.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #43
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewG5 View Post
Yesterday the new bank 1 and 2 o2 sensors arrived. Along with some of the intake gaskets - so I swapped them out. Did not expect a huge difference rather a better response. The originals as 147k miles where plenty due. That's exeactly what happened better responce..
Wise move on the replacement O2 sensors. You at least seem to listen and understand these are not lifetime parts. Sometimes you will notice a difference, somethings the change is so subtle you may not notice much difference.

Unfortunately we have a number of members that love to brag how they are getting over 200k miles on original O2 sensors. Sometimes I wonder if these are the same type of folks that want to brag they we able to get 30k miles on their last oil change! They are often the same bunch that brags they have 250k miles on the original fuel pump as well!

Oh well, people will always learn the hard way, not much we can do about that around here.

MAF, Pre-cat O2 sensors, spark plugs and fuel and air filter are all parts that degrade slowly over time and rarely hard fail. To keep a modern vehicle at peak performance, these are all good PM items. DISA, CCV, fuel pump, starter, alternator and water pump are all items that also start to give problems between 100-200k, sometimes earlier and if you like to turn the key and get where you need to be on time, some things just better replaced on your schedule and not the cars schedule.

Fuel pump failures -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Temp Info -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 04-12-2019 at 05:16 PM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #44
DrewG5

I didn't expect the maf or the bank 1, 2, o2 sensors to be the end all repair rather preventive maintenence and I knew the 02's where lazy because they failed to complete the heater test. That alone justified the replacement to me.

Unfortunately I'm sick today and have all these new parts to refresh the intake and cooling system.. I want to so bad but with a spiking fever I'll surely make some sort of error and really be disappointed with myself.

With the vacuum leaks I've found so far fuel trims have dropped to around 25% from the inane 99% they where. That tells me that I'm on the correct path (knocks on wood).

I suspect I have more issues hidden where I couldn't see the smoke, fuel filter is also on the short list of things to replace just have to figure out how I'm going to get under the car to get to it. She's lowered and I don't have a low profile jack.

I'm still curious if the audio system's amplifier is in working condition about the only thing I'm aware of at this time is inpa reports the radio is in mute mode but reports no errors in inpa.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #45
DrewG5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
I would add that the non-engine components also degrade gradually - flex disc, steering coupler, shocks, bushings and bearings, coupling. When you refresh you really see a difference, but you can go a long time on degraded parts?
Yes they do.. I previously mentioned the car is lowered, the suspension and bushings appear to have been refreshed around 2011.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:08 PM   #46
DrewG5

Quote:
Drive onto a few 2x6 boards nailed together. Hobo-ramp
One I'm feeling better that is in the list. The fuel filter needs to be replaced more than likely going by the age condition of the other components.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #47
DrewG5

Today despite the rain was a move in the correct direction - alas not the cure for the lean condition - once again ([sarcasm] I'm absolutely shocked)

Drove car 2.1 miles to uncle's garage (its heated, air conditioned, and of course dry - only lacks a lift)

Removed the intake - cleaned the oil out of it from the failed ccv.
Replaced all gaskets.
Replaced all vacuum lines.
Verified all unused ports closed.
Lost a 10mm bolt (to the hidden depths of the engine bay)
Acquired a new 10mm bolt.
Replaced the hard plastic cooling system lines.
Bleed the system of air.

Smoke tested the system again to verify no leaks were created - no leaks detected (oil cap removed to ensure entire system filled).

Fuel trims are still incredibly high (at least for emissions) - process of elimination suggests potential fuel system issues. A proper leak down test of the fuel system was not conducted, rather only what the pressure the system primed to and what it was at idle.

The dme reset the codes because I disconnected the battery - I wasn't going to move that thick jumper cable that goes to the starter in a potentially energized status... Been zapped before don't like it one bit so the potential of resetting the computer was honestly worth the risk to me - I can always drive the car to get the monitors to reset.

Personal observations -
Car doesn't always start on the first try (when cold or after sitting a few hours system still warm)
I do not hear the fuel pump at all - I can hear the disa valve though
Engine warm up time has increased

The two above things are leading me to believe the fuel filter is most likely plugged up and the fuel pump may be suspect - if insufficient fuel is getting to the injectors than that would cause the engine to run lean
Old 04-15-2019, 08:56 PM   #48
DrewG5

Replaced the fuel filter today. Another original 147xxx mile part... (ugh).

With out a doubt I'll need to test the fuel system again.. Drove the car into ramps crawled under it and pulled off the filter cover and than the filter. Replaced the vacuum lines, fuel hose, and filter.

All in all took about 45 minutes to complete. Realistically I should have gotten sprayed with fuel that didn't happen.

The correct way to do this job is to reduce the fuel stem pressure by pulling the fuel pump fuse. Start and let it stall die to lack of fuel..

Primeing the system took a bit more effort than expected.... I still have yet to hear the fuel pump run... I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say it's never been touched either.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:26 PM   #49
DrewG5

Replaced the fuel pump and seal today. Needless to say I was not happy to see what I did when I pulled the fuel cover off. Let's just say I know zip ties on the high pressure fuel line is not a good idea... Notice the fuel varnish on top of the pump? Oh and it was damp with fuel. Not good.

Now the car really does need to go for a good old fashion drive to adjust to all the new parts and rubber bits that have been replaced. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190417_150440.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	772915

Old 04-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #50
MJC12

My Ride: 2001 330i
Transmission: 5 Speed
This thread is like reading a murder mystery where a competent detective is thrown into a new environment (the land of the E46)!

I don't have any suggestions that others haven't already given but thanks for documenting your journey and good luck.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:06 AM   #51

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Replaced the fuel pump and seal today. Needless to say I was not happy to see what I did when I pulled the fuel cover off. Let's just say I know zip ties on the high pressure fuel line is not a good idea... Notice the fuel varnish on top of the pump? Oh and it was damp with fuel. Not good.

Now the car really does need to go for a good old fashion drive to adjust to all the new parts and rubber bits that have been replaced. Attachment 772915

I hope those zip ties are no longer there. Right?
74123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #52
docnabimmer

My Ride: 2004 325XIT
Model: 325XIT
Transmission: standard
Twist ties or zip ties always good...they never corrode

Sent from my LG-M150 using E46Fanatics mobile app
docnabimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:40 PM   #53
DrewG5

Here I was thinking bread ties or super glue would do just as well as the zip ties.

Seriously though I installed a new fuel line clamp - just seams safer.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #54
DrewG5

Now that the car will pass safty and emmsions - I decided to look into my radio issues.

Well it's not stuck in mute mode like inpa suggested. Water got into amplifier connector and croaded one of the pins to oblivion. Part of the pin remains in the connector I'll have to investigate if I can pick it out but it's not likely. So that leads me to a new investigation.... Ugh.

Last edited by DrewG5; 04-20-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #55
DrewG5

Passed safty (the more rigorous one for cars bought out of state) and, emmsions today - mainly thanks to all the helpful information here.

I see a lot of posts where people ask what was the 1 thing that fixed the problem was or for a conclusion.

I didn't have a single item that corrected the lean condition issues, sap coads and, evap leak. I had a multitude of issues that compounded to be one big issue.

DISA valve
CCV to pcv with catch can
New turn signal bulb holders
Removed the intake replaced all vacuum lines and gaskets.
Replaced upper and lower intake boots.
Cleaned the throttle body
Cleaned the iac
Replaced cooling system parts.
Replaced the MAF
Replaced the SAP hose.
Replaced the check valve for the SAP.
Replaced fuel filter (and clamps)
Replaced fuel pump ( oring and, clamps)
Air filter
Oil filter (o rings and assouated gaskets)
Spark plugs.
Front brakes and rotors.

Im sure I have forgotten some things done along the way.

Things still to come - audio system and, what ever else I find along the way.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:02 PM   #56
DrewG5

Today the mail person dropped off the ebay amplifier. $20 looks brand new and sounds amazing..

The diagnostic was real easy once I pulled out the old amplifier - one of large pins had rusted away. Like totally gone rusted away. So the radio wasn't stuck muted after all.

Kind of a minor update, I've put maybe 300 miles on the car and the ses light has stayed away.

I have discovered that the drivers side bi-xeon shutter isn't opening for the high beam operation and the passenger side flash to pass bulb isn't functioning. When I have the time I'll put some effort into figuring it out.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:20 PM   #57
Archbid

My Ride: 330ci Convertible
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Quote:
Passed safty (the more rigorous one for cars bought out of state) and, emmsions today - mainly thanks to all the helpful information here.

I see a lot of posts where people ask what was the 1 thing that fixed the problem was or for a conclusion.

I didn't have a single item that corrected the lean condition issues, sap coads and, evap leak. I had a multitude of issues that compounded to be one big issue.

DISA valve
CCV to pcv with catch can
New turn signal bulb holders
Removed the intake replaced all vacuum lines and gaskets.
Replaced upper and lower intake boots.
Cleaned the throttle body
Cleaned the iac
Replaced cooling system parts.
Replaced the MAF
Replaced the SAP hose.
Replaced the check valve for the SAP.
Replaced fuel filter (and clamps)
Replaced fuel pump ( oring and, clamps)
Air filter
Oil filter (o rings and assouated gaskets)
Spark plugs.
Front brakes and rotors.

Im sure I have forgotten some things done along the way.

Things still to come - audio system and, what ever else I find along the way.

It was definitely the turn signals...

Great to here about the progress!

Do shift linkage and giubos if you havenít.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:37 PM   #58
DrewG5

Quote:
It was definitely the turn signals...

Great to here about the progress!

Do shift linkage and giubos if you havenít.
I'll be sure to check the blinker fluid and headlight coolant while I'm digging around the engine bay.

The car is an automatic...anyhow the drive line was refreshed before I got the car around 2010. And the flex plate is one of the new parts in the drive line..

Old 05-05-2019, 07:30 PM   #59
Archbid

My Ride: 330ci Convertible
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Quote:
I'll be sure to check the blinker fluid and headlight coolant while I'm digging around the engine bay.

The car is an automatic...anyhow the drive line was refreshed before I got the car around 2010. And the flex plate is one of the new parts in the drive line..

I search and I search for the blinker fluid, but to no avail. I suspect the PO did a blinker fluid delete. Same time he installed the catch can't.

Sorry to hear about the automatic
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:30 AM   #60

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
I search and I search for the blinker fluid, but to no avail. I suspect the PO did a blinker fluid delete. Same time he installed the catch can't.

Sorry to hear about the automatic
A bucket of steam helps.
74123 is offline   Reply With Quote