Fully Integrated Bluetooth Solution - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #1
t3ddftw

My Ride: 05 M3 6MT
Fully Integrated Bluetooth Solution

Hey guys!

I'd like to share a project I have been working on for almost a year -- it's a Bluetooth adapter for our cars that integrates as if it were factory equipment, much like the "Intravee". The adapter, known as the BlueBus, also integrates with other vehicles from the E46 era which were equipped with the IBus.

Here's a video explaining the BlueBus:

You will also find more information about the project on the website listed below.

Anyways, I'm getting close to having them manufactured, so if there's any interest for it here, I have a "pre-order" form on the project website: https://www.bluebus.dev

I will not be taking money from anyone until I am ready to send off to manufacture, so keep that in mind, please.

Additionally, if you're capable, the project is fully open source, so you can have the boards built and source all of the components yourself, if you wanted .

P.S. The main thread where I have been talking about the development of this module is over on M3F: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=599340

Thanks!
-Ted

Last edited by t3ddftw; 03-26-2019 at 01:34 PM.
t3ddftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
Ettinger

My Ride: 4 doors, 3 pedals
Excellent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ettinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Looks like a good replacement for my ULF13/DICE Silverline Pro setup. Not preordering yet, but definitely something to keep an eye on.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #4
t3ddftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
Looks like a good replacement for my ULF13/DICE Silverline Pro setup. Not preordering yet, but definitely something to keep an eye on.
Most definitely!

Just so everyone is aware, the pre-order list is so I have a round-about idea how many units I need to have manufactured when I send off for that in a few weeks
Old 03-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #5
EthirD

My Ride: '02 325iT, '07 X5
That's really cool. Amazing how well you were able to integrate everything into the factory headunits - you'd never know it wasn't a factory option.

BMW CCA Member #480924
EthirD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #6
t3ddftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthirD View Post
That's really cool. Amazing how well you were able to integrate everything into the factory headunits - you'd never know it wasn't a factory option.
Thank you! That's exactly what I was going for. The DICE/Grom units do a really poor job of interfacing with the vehicle, which is why I set out to make this adapter to begin with.

The only issue is the "flicker" of the main display area on the nav units when the radio decides to update it with the CD / Track info, hah.

-Ted
Old 03-27-2019, 07:00 AM   #7
SidewaysGreg

My Ride: E46 330Ci
Year: 2002
Transmission: 5spd manual
This is very cool. My car doesnít even have speakers, but Iím considering an e46 touring to replace my beater Mondeo and Iíd love this!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
SidewaysGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #8
t3ddftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysGreg View Post
This is very cool. My car doesnít even have speakers, but Iím considering an e46 touring to replace my beater Mondeo and Iíd love this!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
E46 touring are the best. Keep me in mind if you ever have a car compatible with my module
Old 11-19-2019, 07:26 PM   #9
Archbid

My Ride: 330ci Convertible
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Placed my order (#23). Hoping for the best!
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #10
beechbmw

My Ride: 2004 330ci Coupe
Transmission: 6 spd SSG
Placed my order (#91) around the 20th of November. Last day to get the introductory price is either tomorrow or this weekend, I think. There is now a review video in post number #648 of the M3forum thread listed in the first post of this thread. This BlueBus package is really quite slick! I'm hoping for the best, too!

Last edited by beechbmw; 12-05-2019 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Punctuation
beechbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:19 PM   #11
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Anxiously awaiting the release and reviews!

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:38 PM   #12
beechbmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Anxiously awaiting the release and reviews!
FWIW, here is the video review from e39source that I mentioned in my previous post:

The latest that I remember is that those BlueBus units ordered in the first batch are to be shipped in 1/2020-2/2020 time frame.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:10 PM   #13
PabloCruise

Model: 325i
Transmission: Auto
This sounds very interesting!
I see reference to the Business CD in your video, this is all I have in my '02 325i - no CD changer.
Where does the BlueBus mount? How many panels need to be pulled? I saw reference to perhaps de-pinning connectors over on the m3forum...
If you can point me to any install pics I would be grateful!
PabloCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #14
beechbmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
This sounds very interesting!
I see reference to the Business CD in your video, this is all I have in my '02 325i - no CD changer.
Where does the BlueBus mount? How many panels need to be pulled? I saw reference to perhaps de-pinning connectors over on the m3forum...
If you can point me to any install pics I would be grateful!
You have what I have, as I don't have a CD changer either. I don't think Ted has prepared any install photos yet. Do you have a 'talking head' on your steering wheel? If so, then you probably already have the necessary connectors in your trunk on the left hand side behind the trunk panel liner. The BlueBus gets mounted in the trunk behind the left hand panel. The video is not mine, it is something I copied from the M3forum site.

You may want to start reading ~page 55, ~post 542 of this thread. Or if you have time, scan the whole thread for a real feel for the genesis of this unit:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...599340&page=55
Ted brought the BlueBus to fruition all on his own, both hardware and software. It really is quite an achievement, IMHO.

You may also want to send Ted a PM, at t3ddftw. He'll probably answer you back quite promptly if it is like what happened to me. Be sure to watch his video in the original post #1, of this thread, up above.

Last edited by beechbmw; 12-06-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #15
PabloCruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechbmw View Post
You have what I have, as I don't have a CD changer either. I don't think Ted has prepared any install photos yet. Do you have a 'talking head' on your steering wheel? If so, then you probably already have the necessary connectors in your trunk on the left hand side behind the trunk panel liner. The BlueBus gets mounted in the trunk behind the left hand panel. The video is not mine, it is something I copied from the M3forum site.

You may want to start reading ~page 55, ~post 542 of this thread. Or if you have time, scan the whole thread for a real feel for the genesis of this unit:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...599340&page=55
Ted brought the BlueBus to fruition all on his own, both hardware and software. It really is quite an achievement, IMHO.

You may also want to send Ted a PM, at t3ddftw. He'll probably answer you back quite promptly if it is like what happened to me. Be sure to watch his video in the original post #1, of this thread, up above.
Thanks, I went through the first 10 pages of the thread and then realized the thread had 60 some pages!
I think I do have the "talking head" button on the wheel, I think it says somewhere that the car is ready for a BMW cell phone (ha-ha).
I will confirm.
Does the talking head button mean the car and stereo could then handle calls via BlueBus? That would be a bonus!
Old 12-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #16
beechbmw

Quote:
I think I do have the "talking head" button on the wheel, I think it says somewhere that the car is ready for a BMW cell phone (ha-ha).
I will confirm.
Does the talking head button mean the car and stereo could then handle calls via BlueBus? That would be a bonus!
Yes, that is my understanding. You can also check by looking at your overhead console on the right hand side closer to the windshield. There should be a black, rectangular, plastic piece. That is either just a blank, or is actually a microphone for the cell phone feature. It is very easy to remove. It sounds like you have more closely to what I have. If you have a microphone attached to a wiring connector, you won't have to get that.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #17
PabloCruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechbmw View Post
Yes, that is my understanding. You can also check by looking at your overhead console on the right hand side closer to the windshield. There should be a black, rectangular, plastic piece. That is either just a blank, or is actually a microphone for the cell phone feature. It is very easy to remove. It sounds like you have more closely to what I have. If you have a microphone attached to a wiring connector, you won't have to get that.
I got a chance to check my machine at lunch:
  • I do have the talking head button on steering wheel
  • I have a little black platic grille where you describe. When I remove it, all I can see is what looks like an electric motor (sunroof?)
  • When I open the trunk lid, there are little plastic "buttons" that say things like "Pre-wired for BMW cell phone" and "pre-wired for compact disc".
Old 12-06-2019, 06:22 PM   #18
beechbmw

Quote:
I got a chance to check my machine at lunch:
  • I do have the talking head button on steering wheel
  • I have a little black platic grille where you describe. When I remove it, all I can see is what looks like an electric motor (sunroof?)
  • When I open the trunk lid, there are little plastic "buttons" that say things like "Pre-wired for BMW cell phone" and "pre-wired for compact disc".
Sounds like you have all the wiring, and connectors, you need and may have to get a microphone that fits where that plastic grille is. The wiring for the cell phone microphone should be tucked up inside the overhead console with, IIRC, a 3 pin connector that is ready to connect to the microphone you may need to buy. The latest recommendation from BlueBus Ted is to get this microphone off eBay for the best price, as used will probably be fine.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/84318380338/
But that is up to you. Look at all of the pictures for this mic from ECS tuning to see if this part would seem to fit where you pulled out the plastic grille.

Since you don't seem to have a microphone, you probably don't have a TCU(Telematics Control Unit) behind that left hand trunk panel. You'll probably need to get this shelf on which to mount the BlueBus box:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/84136924551/
Old 12-10-2019, 10:20 PM   #19
t3ddftw

Hey guys!

For some reason I'm not getting subscription updates for this thread, which is why I have missed everything you said until now!

beechbmw: Thank you for being so helpful! You didn't miss a beat on any answer

I do plan to offer "plug and play" connectors for the TCU connector so that you don't have to de-pin stuff. I'm getting my ducks in a row there before I announce it to everyone who pre-ordered.

For the E46, it looks like this:

The M3F thread is definitely a time capsule for the development of this unit. To think I posted it about it in June of 2018!

Anyways, my original pre-order got extended because Ryan let me know he was getting ready to drop the review, so it didn't make sense to pause them then. Then, I ended up getting way more orders than I had TH3122 ICs for, which are only available from China. So, right now I am sitting like a dog by the window waiting for the DHL man to come with my new parts so that I can submit all 500 units for manufacture!

With that said, they will probably be 2 weeks delayed. I'll post more about timelines once I submit it to the assembly house and they get me a lead time.

Feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected] / [email protected] if you have any questions, concerns, or if you just want to say hello. I try to respond within minutes to all inquiries.

Thanks!
-Ted
Old 12-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #20
PabloCruise

Sorry for your delays, but good news that the pre-order is extended. I think I will jump in as it sounds like I can plug this in with a minimum of hassle to my Business CD player, TCU or not.