Help or im about to give up - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
Help or im about to give up

So for the past few month I had a problem where my car wouldnt rev past 5200 on a pull. I thought it was timing , and I redid it like 3 times to make sure , but still get same problem , in INPA I had a fault code for the MAF right at 5200 RPM and a vanos code. I think the maf could be the culprit , but Idk what to do with it , Idk if its coded wrong ( but the car runs beatiful) beside the 5200rpm disaster.On a dyno I made 374 hp and 375 torque on 10 psi and lowered timing I can raise the timing and get more HP out of it , but whats the point when I cant rev my car past 5200 to actually feel the power.
1) Timing redone
2) Maf is brand new from audi RS4 bought on ecs tuning
3)Maybe the flash? maybe something is up with the tune? but the thing is I lost my fcking bench setup and I cant do a full flush at the moment ( So i cant really check that )
Maybe if I upload my file somebody can take a look on it and pin point the problem?
When I get near 5200 rpm the car starts to misfire really bad , feels like no fuel and spark , like a limiter of some sort.
Last night was my last go at it , where I redid the timing and made a 3 inch exhaust pipe.
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
If you weren't turbo I would've said run a stock tune and see if the issue persists but you're turbo so you can't. Do you have another DME that you can try out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PA Soft
Driver:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Program:
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
Sykriss

My Ride: 325XiT, 328i, 330Ci
I've read of others having this issue in the past and it had something to do with the DME not seeing vehicle speed. Is your back right/rear passenger wheel speed sensor connected? Did you mess with the ABS system at all during the turbo conversion?

Last edited by Sykriss; 08-27-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Sykriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #4
cwarel

ABS system completely stock , I had axles blow out and grease all over the sensor , but id clean it and it works just fine. I think I have another ECU somewheres, the problem is that I cant full flash it because i dont have the bench setup
Also in inpa I get a fault code that says Control Unit failure , whats that supposed to mean?>

Last edited by cwarel; 08-27-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Sykriss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
ABS system completely stock , I had axles blow out and grease all over the sensor , but id clean it and it works just fine. I think I have another ECU somewheres, the problem is that I cant full flash it because i dont have the bench setup
Also in inpa I get a fault code that says Control Unit failure , whats that supposed to mean?>
There are two sensors, the drivers side one is responsible for speedometer output whereas the passenger side one is responsible for DME vehicle speed output along with DSC and some other stuff. The drivers side sensor can be brand new, doesn't matter; if the passenger side is inoperable/disconnected you'll run into this issue. It's surely possible that this isn't the source of your problem, but in the majority of cases where I've seen this issue, it is. Not sure about the control unit failure code, sorry.

Last edited by Sykriss; 08-27-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
cwarel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykriss View Post
There are two sensors, the drivers side one is responsible for speedometer output whereas the passenger side one is responsible for DME vehicle speed output along with DSC and some other stuff. The drivers side sensor can be brand new, doesn't matter; if the passenger side is inoperable/disconnected you'll run into this issue. It's surely possible that this isn't the source of your problem, but in the majority of cases where I've seen this issue, it is. Not sure about the control unit failure code, sorry.
I have ABS light come on and off sometimes , when I start the car , maybe its the culprit , i gotta get a new sensor, but i think it could be the front drivers side one , but ill check them all just in case ,because no matter what I do , its like a fcking limiter , i tried to disable it too and that didnt help, going now to get all the codes that come up.

Last edited by cwarel; 08-27-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:33 PM   #7
Sykriss

This may be worth a read to you, you mentioned you switched MAFs so the information may be relevant.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #8
cwarel

https://ibb.co/isqZQ9
https://ibb.co/eYm8k9
https://ibb.co/dH95Xp
https://ibb.co/m2j5Xp
https://ibb.co/hB1VyU
https://ibb.co/dhj5Xp
https://ibb.co/bY4iJU

This is what fault codes Ive got , and I have no idea where to start from , I do get abs light when i start the car but once i got over 15kmh it goes away.

Last edited by cwarel; 08-27-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #9
sda2

My Ride: BMW E46 330i Touring
If you could say of yourself to be a little bit careful, Just open the ECU, solder a switch to your bootpin and ground, wire it outside and do the bootmode flash in-car.

Been there done that All my MS43 now have little cwitched attached to them.

Edit: I do it like this:

Switch the bootmode pin to ground, put ignition switch into second position, get out of the car, count to 3, return the switch into "Off" position. Then click "connect and flash your full file.

This made flashing a shit-ton of LC testfiles way easier back then

Last edited by sda2; 08-27-2018 at 03:51 PM.
sda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
cwarel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda2 View Post
If you could say of yourself to be a little bit careful, Just open the ECU, solder a switch to your bootpin and ground, wire it outside and do the bootmode flash in-car.

Been there done that All my MS43 now have little cwitched attached to them.

Edit: I do it like this:

Switch the bootmode pin to ground, put ignition switch into second position, get out of the car, count to 3, return the switch into "Off" position. Then click "connect and flash your full file.

This made flashing a shit-ton of LC testfiles way easier back then
Yeah ive done it before , but there is nothing to flash since IDK whats the problem , I did get MAF voltage pegged at 4.65 at 5200 rpm and MAF seems to be turning off and then car goes crazy.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:10 PM   #11
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
Want me to make you a new bench?
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #12
m54e30t

My Ride: e30
From memory the rev limit is set around 5200-5300 when theres no speed signal.
Have you tried logging vehicle speed to see if its actually registering anything?

Other than that, its possible you're exceeding the load limit in the DME around the same time. Whats the reported load when it cuts out?
m54e30t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:23 PM   #13
m54e30t

My Ride: e30
This picture demonstrates that you *could* be maxing the load limits in the DME around the point you are speaking depending on what your MAF kg/hr readings are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Load.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	753701  

Last edited by m54e30t; 08-27-2018 at 09:23 PM.
m54e30t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:15 AM   #14
cwarel

Just check that and in fact in 64kb file my maf table ( the really long one ) goes up to 900mg/strk instead of 1800 , i tried to paste the right definition into my fiel but I cant figure out how to without fcking copy 1 by 1(each cell) Maybe anybody got a files thats Few maps with MAF hack with Audi RS4 maf full flash.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:20 AM   #15
sda2

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...zQ?usp=sharing

Look over here

This is from my RS4 MAF thread. Please double check

Last edited by sda2; 08-28-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #16
cwarel

Quote:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...zQ?usp=sharing

Look over here

This is from my RS4 MAF thread. Please double check
Is it few maps? Cuz if its not its kinda hard to figure out what has to be changed for a turbo)))
Old 08-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #17
sda2

Nope, no fewmaps. But you can just take over the MAF mapping with the compare tool of TunerPro
Old 08-28-2018, 08:50 AM   #18
cwarel

Quote:
Nope, no fewmaps. But you can just take over the MAF mapping with the compare tool of TunerPro
Aint working for me)) I tried last night for 3 hours sweating my nuts off in the car , and i couldnt figure out how to use god damn past and copy function , it would not copy over for some reason.
Myabe i was too tired, for some reason I feel like my tuner pro is very limited , I cant find functions like interpolate and etc.

Last edited by cwarel; 08-28-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:04 AM   #19
sda2

CTRL+F1 tor loading a compare binary (my MAF included one)

CTRL+T to open the compare dialog.

Check "search for defined values only"

And make sure you compare partial with partial and full with full.

Last edited by sda2; 08-28-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:12 AM   #20
cwarel

Quote:
STRG+F1 tor loading a compare binary (my MAF included one)

STRG+T to open the compare dialog.

Check "search for defined values only"

And make sure you compare partial with partial and full with full.
whats STRG ???? and the rest i get it ))) THanks a lot ill try that during my class in college lmfao)