Thoughts on m50 throttle body with MS43 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2018, 04:38 AM   #1
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
Thoughts on m50 throttle body with MS43

So im running m50 manifold and I was wondering if I could make this throttle body work with MS43 . I think ms43 throttle body has 2 tps sensors built in it , but im not sure , lets put away the fact that I would have to run cable change pedal to mechanical one to the side for now. Concentrate on the ms43 and m50 throttle body. So m50 has 1 tps sensor on it , If the potentiometers are the same in m50 tps and m54 tps so it would only take 3 wires to wire a tps and basically you could have this working with ms43 but what gonna happen if ecu doesnt see throttle body connected would it throw EML or not , would the car even drive ? Since throttle map is base off TPS monitoring we would only need to make sure that m50 sends a valid TPS signal to ms43. Or take apart m54 throttle body and weld up or screw or add someway the cable to it .Just thoughts

Last edited by cwarel; 01-17-2018 at 04:39 AM.
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:20 AM   #2
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
Much easier to purchase or build an adapter to fix the different bolt pattern ;-) MS43 goes into limp mode when tps/mtc wonīt match.

No further development on MS4x from me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
hassmaschine

My Ride: '91 325ix
it's basically impossible to disable the DBW system - because it's a safety system and has to 'failsafe', there are many security and backup mechanisms. You can't just plug in a cable throttle, delete an error code, and make it work. As Daniel says, it will go into limp mode and you can't really turn it off.
hassmaschine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
sda2

My Ride: BMW E46 330i Touring
Could it be possible to set up a second variable (stereo) resistor on the throttlebody to emulate the two TPS inputs on the MS43? One from 0 to 5V and one from 5V to 0V.
sda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
hassmaschine

sure, but why? All that just to retrofit a cable throttle? also if the curves are even a little out of tolerance of what the DME is expecting, it will go into limp mode, and this routine is not very forgiving.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
I can tweak it to just one sensor, no Problem. It just doesn't make sense if we can use an adapter

No further development on MS4x from me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
The reason is because if we got cable throttle body when u floor it it has no delay so its always a true input , rather than a drive by wire that opens throttle body slower and progressive without snappiness , where cable just pops it open in an instant
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #8
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
The reason is because if we got cable throttle body when u floor it it has no delay so its always a true input , rather than a drive by wire that opens throttle body slower and progressive without snappiness , where cable just pops it open in an instant
Isn't that related to anti jerk?
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:47 PM   #9
hassmaschine

It's not something I'd want to screw with, personally. There have been deaths and lawsuits because of badly engineered e-throttle systems (see: Toyota). Sure, you could just rip out the code that does all the checks and reads from both sensors, but you'd be taking on risk if something happens. And as you said - you can also just get an adapter.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:47 PM   #10
hassmaschine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
that is just flat out untrue - and it depends entirely on throttle mapping.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:09 AM   #11
sda2

My Ride: BMW E46 330i Touring
For me there is no reason doing it, I use DBW with the ICV delete and a linear throttle map. No issues and the lag completely disappeared. Anti jerk also disabled
sda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #12
armenh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda2 View Post
For me there is no reason doing it, I use DBW with the ICV delete and a linear throttle map. No issues and the lag completely disappeared. Anti jerk also disabled
What is anti jerk? I don't have a clear understanding of what it does
Old 01-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #13
hassmaschine

it stops your car from 'bucking' which can happen at low loads and throttle angles. Like if you were just learning to drive manual.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #14
armenh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
it stops your car from 'bucking' which can happen at low loads and throttle angles. Like if you were just learning to drive manual.
So would that mean flooring it would allow "more" power delivery rather than it being smooth? Or does it not have anything to do with the engine
Old 01-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #15
hassmaschine

It has nothing at all to do with flooring it or power. Its a low load/rpm thing.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:49 AM   #16
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
Deleting the electronic throttle was the best mod I ever performed on my car. Driveability and throttle response is much better with the cable throttle. I did it by deleting the stock DME and going with a Megasquirt but it has been done with a reprogrammed DME. Randy Mueller knows how to do it.