Car caught FIRE - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
Car caught FIRE

So i was driving and my car started smoking badly from the engine bay , at first i thought that expansion tank blew up and car overheated but no. I come to a stop just past the cops on the road too , open the hood and flames shoot in my face. The exhaust side of the engine was on fire . I had not a single drop of water in the car so i had to improvise. Opened the trunk and i see my ex gf's underwear so i wrap them around my hand and i had to reach to put out a fire because for some reason it was on my downpipe and side wall too. Idk what started the fire I looked around but there was nothing that could of done it , so i wonder if i picked something off the road and it cought on exhaust.

Now my right hand is burnt pretty bad but i managed to save the car.
Next day I try to start it and it wont idle
Diag says that throttle body went so i changed it and the car stats and idles but as soon as i touch gas it dies. Also EML is lit on the dash and my diag doesnt say anything is wrong.
Anyone have any idea what could be wrong , I dont think any of the wiring got melted ( only for boost controller ) but main harness wasnt touched I hope.

Last edited by cwarel; 11-01-2017 at 10:12 PM.
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:16 PM   #2
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
So i was driving and my car started smoking badly from the engine bay , at first i thought that expansion tank blew up and car overheated but no. I come to a stop just past the cops on the road too , open the hood and flames shoot in my face. The exhaust side of the engine was on fire . I had not a single drop of water in the car so i had to improvise. Opened the trunk and i see my ex gf's underwear so i wrap them around my hand and i had to reach to put out a fire because for some reason it was on my downpipe and side wall too. Idk what started the fire I looked around but there was nothing that could of done it , so i wonder if i picked something off the road and it cought on exhaust.

Now my right hand is burnt pretty bad but i managed to save the car.
Next day I try to start it and it wont idle
Diag says that throttle body went so i changed it and the car stats and idles but as soon as i touch gas it dies. Also EML is lit on the dash and my diag doesnt say anything is wrong.
Anyone have any idea what could be wrong , I dont think any of the wiring got melted ( only for boost controller ) but main harness wasnt touched I hope.
Ouch. I'm glad no one got badly hurt. Maybe oil dripped onto the exhaust.manifold and it caught on fire?
Now your racecar needs a fire extinguisher.

I have a feeling that wiring may have been melted. What other codes come up?
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
sda2

My Ride: BMW E46 330i Touring
Glad nobody was seriously injured!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
Now your racecar needs a fire extinguisher
EVERY modified car needs this if you ask me.

Quote:
Opened the trunk and i see my ex gf's underwear so i wrap them around my hand and i had to reach to put out a fire because for some reason it was on my downpipe and side wall too.
ROFL

Check your oil feed line and fittings. Do you have heat protected tubing on turbo side?
sda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
cwarel

Well right after the fire , i didnt even treat my arm I went out and bought fire extinguisher and first aid kit.
As far as I can see no turbo lines are leaking so idk
Old 11-02-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Well right after the fire , i didnt even treat my arm I went out and bought fire extinguisher and first aid kit.
As far as I can see no turbo lines are leaking so idk
What kind of residue was there after the fire? Run your finger over where it caught fire and see if you get an oily substance on it
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
cwarel

Black dust
Old 11-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #7
celsdogg

My Ride: E30, E36, E46
i cant get over the ex's underwear. . .
celsdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
cwarel

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsdogg View Post
First thing that caught my eye )))
Old 11-09-2017, 04:28 AM   #9
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by celsdogg View Post

Same lol

OP was your exhaust manifold wrapped or ceramic coated? Turbo'd cars get hot as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #10
cwarel

Manifold is not coated or wrapped , last time i wrapped stainless steel manifold it cracked because wrap holds moisture which is no good for stainless steel because from difference in temps it cracks.
The fire started because of the electrical problem , I had a fuse housing over exhaust( plenty of space for it not to melt ) going to that empty corner because wires for boost controller come out of there so i ran fuse housing to the main terminal in the engine bay and i think it was rubbing on the metal and at one point it shorted out causing wire to melt and start a fire . Fuse housing was rubber so it went up in flames too and all of that plastic dripped on my downpipe and the downpipe is next to the insulation which cought fire. Anyways car is fixed and working properly I had 30 amp fuse blown by the ecu which was throwing throttle output stage error and car had an eml.
Right now everytime i start the car its starts to smoke and smells like plastic so i figured that shit is still on the downpipe so i gotta take that out and wash it or change the wrap on it.
Right now I ordered legit fuse block that gonna blow the fuse instead of melting housing which shorts out and fuse wont help if the housing for it is melted.