Turbo project for a budget - Page 9 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #161
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony78 View Post
Catch can resolve the issue ?
Cant tell untill i get in boost , just insured the car , tomorrow im gonna register it and start putting miles on the engine . Once i get 300+ ill slowly start getting into boost because i still have to adjust afr. Got a lot of things to do this thursday
1) Clutch masters twin disk install
2) LSD for 320 from ebay)) will be installed
3) Possibly throw on my new 18x8 and 18x9 rims with some stick icky icky tires ( but prob shouldnt )
4) Get the car to operating AFR under boost ( will require more tweaks in ecu than i think )
5) Clean up inside of my car
6) Wash outisde
7) Start tearing out old headliner because its ugly
8) At the end of this project do a fat burnout and hopefully not wind up in a jail
Also bad news I will not be racing since ive got so much points on my license so im gonna hit the 1/2 miles track
Also if someone could pitch in how much power does stock drivetrain holds ( tranny , diff, driveshaft and axle's ) because if i do make 600 at the end of the day I wanna make sure i dont snap something.

Last edited by cwarel; 09-12-2017 at 08:05 PM.
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #162
cwarel

Took the car out last night. ITS CRAZY FAST but i still have to adjust fuel cuz lots of smoke comes out on idle( unburnt fuel) and on 16 psi that i accidently hit ))) was 15.5 afr to gotta reach it out. Still have a lot of goblins to take care
1) Charge pipe slides off the maf
2) I think exhaust came off last night from the downpipe
3)Oil leak , fitting leaks that joins 2 supply lines together and its behind the T stat housing which means i gotta take cooling system apart again.
As of today im going to install twin disk clutch and LSD
Old 09-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #163
cosmos328Ci

My Ride: 400+whp. 500.4ftlb
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Good to see you are up and running.

Hopefully you get that lean issue sorted out, as you know boost and 15.5 AFR don't really go well together.

Must have been fun to drive.
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #164
cwarel

Updates as of today
Twin disk installed
LSD however giving a hard time , im losing my faith in it as im installing it ( it feels like it will act like a welded diff rather than a lsd because the clearences are really tight , i had to use a press to get it in , then the pinoin wouldnt fit to the point where it bent on the press , It went into this LSD piece thing half way , i cutted it off and shuffed it on the other side same thing cut the rest off , and weld it it . Right now the C clip wont fit , so tomorrow I will try again. I dont think this diff last too long , so I will buy another 2.93 and then I will start saving for a proper LSD , unless I figure out a way how to make M subframe work with 5 speed tranny and its driveshaft , because that will be 1800$ cheaper ( no labour included)
Old 09-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #165
cwarel

LSD is 100/10 DIY so if you thinking of buying same thing , you gotta make sure the shop willing to do it for you and also someone that is professional.
I got it in , yet didnt drive the car too much so never checked if its actually working ( but i feel like it is)
The twin disk clutch the pedal got really fcking heavy at the point where I have to re learn how to drive stick ))
Old 09-16-2017, 09:53 PM   #166
cwarel

Sad news
Car smoking a lot out of the exhaust looks like might be oil burning and then oil shut out of the turbo intake which is weird so there is 3 possible things that I could think of right now
1) Clogged oil drain ( cheapest and easiest thing to fix)
2) Turbo took a sht
3) Head Gasket went if thats possible that it would burn oil , also smoke coming out of the exhaust is white not blue , had to add a little bit of coolant today but i think thats because my heater hoses werent tight when i was driving the car but I fixed them and topped off coolant just now

So guys pray for me that its oil drain line ( its 10an so Idk how it could clog up like that )
Another note on idle its barely makes smoke , but once i rev it up clouds come out that cover up a whole block. ANd smoke doesnt smell like anything , but idk I was so tired.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:12 PM   #167
PancakeBimmer

My Ride: BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
Sad news
Car smoking a lot out of the exhaust looks like might be oil burning and then oil shut out of the turbo intake which is weird so there is 3 possible things that I could think of right now
1) Clogged oil drain ( cheapest and easiest thing to fix)
2) Turbo took a sht
3) Head Gasket went if thats possible that it would burn oil , also smoke coming out of the exhaust is white not blue , had to add a little bit of coolant today but i think thats because my heater hoses werent tight when i was driving the car but I fixed them and topped off coolant just now

So guys pray for me that its oil drain line ( its 10an so Idk how it could clog up like that )
Another note on idle its barely makes smoke , but once i rev it up clouds come out that cover up a whole block. ANd smoke doesnt smell like anything , but idk I was so tired.
I have been doing a lot of random research around those cheap turbos, mainly because I want to start with that as well, and so far I have come across a lot of comments saying that they blew seals because of too much oil flowing through. Other comments were warning about making sure turbo is not strawing from not enough oil but also does not have too much oil pressure going through it or else it will blow.

I remember you mentioned getting oil from oil filter housing and feeding back into oil pan. Did you try anything with limiting oil through the turbo like oil restrictor?
If so, how did that go because I don't have a clue how I would even check if turbo is getting just enough oil through it.

Note: don't judge my lack of knowledge, still learning

Last edited by PancakeBimmer; 09-16-2017 at 11:14 PM.
PancakeBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #168
cwarel

Well the turbo came with its own restrictor that i obvoiusly installed.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #169
cwarel

Fixed the smoke , my oil drain kinked somehow
Blew my diff when i tried to do a little pull , i guess that LSD piece was either installed incorrectly or it was the wrong one they sent me . Main 2 gears in diff are working its the spyder gears that shattered.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #170
cwarel

Trynna buy 2.93 diff for manual if anyone has it hit me up.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #171
autospeed_01

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
Updates as of today
unless I figure out a way how to make M subframe work with 5 speed tranny and its driveshaft , because that will be 1800$ cheaper ( no labour included)
If you can get a used m3 driveshaft get it lengthened by 4 inches. M3 owners that track their cars regularly have been swapping in 5speed transmissions for some time now. for the non-m swap all you need is the diff, subframe, halfshafts (axles), and the M3 swaybar. Or if you can get the whole thing (from a junked car) with the complete suspension that'll probably be easier.

The only thing is you'd need the diff rebuilt with a 3.15 gear set (from the e39 m5), since the stock is 3.62:1 and will make 1st and 2nd gear basically useless with a high powered turbo car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DTM Style Angel Eyes (flat bottom)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by autospeed_01; 09-18-2017 at 10:55 AM.
autospeed_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:16 PM   #172
cwarel

I guess im gonna save up some $ for real LSD diff , since i love 2.93 and 5 speed so much
Old 09-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #173
cwarel

So put the car back with the welded diff i had and its a pain to drive with 255 coopers in the back , car doesnt even wanna turn unless you giving it power0))) Oh well , there comes the winter and ill be glad i had welded diff
Old 10-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #174
cwarel

Alright some new again
Lost brakes when was going crazy through streets with medium traffic , didnt hit anybody. engine braked as much as i could and then used E brake to stop , found out that that 3 way valve for the brake booster split in half ( happened second time to me ) So i guess this is the weak link in the brake system for boosting the car. So i decided to convert brake system to electric vacuum pump + 8-22 inch mercury swtich and vacuum reservour. Also noticed a big oil leak at vanos unit seal , Installing Aeromotive FPR finally , running all 6 an line from fuel pump assembly to the fuel rail ( also ordered m50 rally road fuel rail which comes in mail soon )
Old 10-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #175
cwarel

Alright some new again
Lost brakes when was going crazy through streets with medium traffic , didnt hit anybody. engine braked as much as i could and then used E brake to stop , found out that that 3 way valve for the brake booster split in half ( happened second time to me ) So i guess this is the weak link in the brake system for boosting the car. So i decided to convert brake system to electric vacuum pump + 8-22 inch mercury swtich and vacuum reservour. Also noticed a big oil leak at vanos unit seal , Installing Aeromotive FPR finally , running all 6 an line from fuel pump assembly to the fuel rail ( also ordered m50 rally road fuel rail which comes in mail soon )