Quick question on front reinforcement plate. - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
323CI-MI

My Ride: 323CI
Quick question on front reinforcement plate.

Hey all,
I just changed my oil-level sensor and had to remove the reinforcement plate to get to it. I ran out of time to put the plate back on. Do I need to wake up early tomorrow morning to put it back on, or would it be okay to drive one full day with it off? Thanks!
323CI-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:27 PM   #2
Encryption76

My Ride: 2000 328i
Send a message via MSN to Encryption76
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323CI-MI View Post
Hey all,
I just changed my oil-level sensor and had to remove the reinforcement plate to get to it. I ran out of time to put the plate back on. Do I need to wake up early tomorrow morning to put it back on, or would it be okay to drive one full day with it off? Thanks!
Mine has been without one since I had it and no problems have come up. If you drive on rough roads where there is loose rocks or trash then I would put it back on rather then take a chance running over something and causing more damage to repair.

Quote:
Ok, hero. You help him. According to his post, here are his symptoms:

?
Encryption76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:52 PM   #3
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
USE NEW BOLTS. They are torque to yield. Trust me on this.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2014, 02:49 AM   #4
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323CI-MI View Post
Hey all,
I would put it back on. If it is a vert, then you definately need it back on before driving the car. However, it is recommended to be on the car and torqued correctly BEFORE, driving it, that is why it is called a reinforcement plate.

Encryption, I think you are talking the plastic shield, that you can drive without, but it is there to protect from debris.

Phoenix330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
swaggerwagon

My Ride: 2005 330i
all repair instructions from bmw state DO NOT drive without reinforcement plate installed

330i ZHP

3 Pedals FTW

BMW level 2 Tech

Ebay headers | Long tube CAI | modbargains ///M pedal covers | SS clutch line | CDV removed | Turner camber arms | Meyle HD FCABs | uuc poly motor/trans mounts | Eurospec Muffler | Clutch masters Stage 2 with aluminum flywheel | Coilover kit | CSL front bumper | Z4m shift lever | VISracing CF hood | Depo HID w/CCFL halo rings
swaggerwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
I ran into the same issue when doing my LCA's. I drove it for 2 weeks without I believe. Nothing happened. All it does is align the subframe geometry properly. You'll live if you have to wait until next weekend.

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Swapped M3 Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Locked/Loaded/Loud

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
KaktusJaque

My Ride: 2005 M3 ZCP
The reinforcement plate is just that, it reinforces the frame for the car. Without it the frame can be compromised. Not wise to drive without it.

Links

2005 M3 ZCP (KJ's Weekend Ride)
2003 Touring 325 XiT (In Storage)
2004 Coupe 325 Ci (Donated to KarsforKids)
KaktusJaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
All it does is align the subframe geometry properly.
As in "All it does is hold the bottom of the structure in place"? Did you baby it for two weeks, or drive it like a BMW?

ďThe test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.Ē

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller - BIMMER
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Not smart.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
All it does is align the subframe geometry properly.
Oh is that all? Doesn't sound too important then...

But seriously - isn't this the optional part with the center jacking point that some cars don't even have?
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:56 PM   #11
mondrage

Now I understand why my car has awful suspension behavior. I bought it in 2004 with no reinforcement plate. It did have the debris cover though. Should I installed one?
It's an e46 1999 323i.
mondrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:47 AM   #12
Archbid

My Ride: 330ci Convertible
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
USE NEW BOLTS. They are torque to yield. Trust me on this.
Tip: Instead of buying $42.00 worth of bolts (you are really supposed to replace them each time), buy these. I buy 50 at a time ($34) and then never have to stress about replacing them. These are identical specs to the factory fasteners:

Bolt Depot 17511
Bolt Depot 7743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
But seriously - isn't this the optional part with the center jacking point that some cars don't even have?
You are being sarcastic, right

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage View Post
Now I understand why my car has awful suspension behavior. I bought it in 2004 with no reinforcement plate. It did have the debris cover though. Should I installed one?
It's an e46 1999 323i.
This is the type of part you should DEFINITELY get from a pick n pull or a part out. $230 new, and even though the ones at the pick and pull may be dented and dinged, so will your new one in short order!

Last edited by Archbid; 01-15-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #13
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
It's an e46 1999 323i.
your Ď99 323i probably has the triangular steel tube reinforcement brace. early non-sport sedans didnít get the plate.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:39 PM   #14
mondrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
your Ď99 323i probably has the triangular steel tube reinforcement brace. early non-sport sedans didnít get the plate.
yes, that's what it has.
would it be better to have the plate?
would it be possible to bolt it on?

Something's amiss in my suspension.
Everything is new, but sometimes I get a lot of front wheel vibration and shimmy.
And somedays it's awesome. Like today. No vibration.

And the whole car feels undersprung.

I did mod the car to accept the M3 18" wheels. Had to cut the rear fender wheel flares.
Just waiting for my Koni Sport Yellows and will install Eibach Sportlines.
Also replacing all the rubber bits that go with it, including the strut tower mounts.

If the vibration continues, I might just have to look into replacing the Meyle CA and CABs that I bought.

The struggle continues...
Old 01-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #15
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
Quote:
yes, that's what it has.

Everything is new, but sometimes I get a lot of front wheel vibration and shimmy.

I did mod the car to accept the M3 18" wheels. Had to cut the rear fender wheel flares.
Just waiting for my Koni Sport Yellows and will install Eibach Sportlines.
Also replacing all the rubber bits that go with it, including the strut tower mounts.

If the vibration continues, I might just have to look into replacing the Meyle CA and CABs that I bought.

The '99 only has the triangular steel tubing as a brace...plus the aggregate protective shield to keep rocks from getting into moving things. You don't need another reinforcement frame, and you wouldn't have holes to bolt it into anyway. This isn't why your handling is as it is.

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #16
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
yes, that's what it has.

it would be a better brace. if it fits. I know some 2000 323iís didnít have it and they could retrofit it. but your early Ď99 may not have the bolt holes in chassis. you can look next time under it.

as for your vibration, thatís NOT the Meyle HD parts. they make it tight (what you want) but it may bring to light what was hidden in the soft worn-out CA/CAB parts you had before. vibration is usually wheel/tire out of balance (and since CA done), next check would be steering rack tie rods.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:43 PM   #17
mondrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
it would be a better brace. if it fits. I know some 2000 323iís didnít have it and they could retrofit it. but your early Ď99 may not have the bolt holes in chassis. you can look next time under it.

as for your vibration, thatís NOT the Meyle HD parts. they make it tight (what you want) but it may bring to light what was hidden in the soft worn-out CA/CAB parts you had before. vibration is usually wheel/tire out of balance (and since CA done), next check would be steering rack tie rods.
I'm guessing it's the strut tower mounts.
Everything else has been replaced. Struts, control arms, CA bushings, tie rods, sway bar bushings, sway bar links, and every rubber bushing I found.
Both front and rear.
But I didn't replace the original strut tower mounts, or I can't remember if I did.
So, I bought all of that new.

When I go over uneven pavement, something makes clucking noises, and I've asked mechanics to check. Put the car up and everything.

Wheels have been balanced, and tires are new.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #18
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
There are a lot of sizes of sway bar bushings...I wonder if yours isn't tight and might be clucking?

The strut towers, when failing, seem to often 'present' as 'pirate ship creaking' when turning slowly. If it is the strut mounts, some have sprayed a lubricant in them to see if the noise lessens. If so, that's not a fix, but a diagnostic--time to replace them too.

Good luck.

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #19
mondrage

I will check the sway bar bushings.
Thanks,

It does make pirate ship noises.

And there was a clunking noise before that went away when I retightened the lower bridge.
But now a new and less loud noise creeped up.
I was thinking the strut mounts, but could be the say bars. I will check.

Thank you for your input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2020, 08:33 PM   #20
mondrage

The vibration went away by itself.
Have no idea way.
Makes a clunk noise if I brake really hard.

No vibration.
My guess, is that that replaced all of this items in 2011 and along the years since. However the car has not done over 1,000 km since then.
So, perhaps theyíre getting worked now and got softer?

Who knows...

Waiting for my Konis and will also buy the Eibach sway bars (27/21) to match the Eibach Sportline Springs.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk