Remote not working (but syncs) - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: M52TUB28-Vert
Remote not working (but syncs)

left the car unused for 7/10 days and wheni went to open my remote did nothing

not prone to a GM5 issue as everything works fine (except the remote functions),

i first suppose a problem with remote battery but is 100% charged,
i tried to re sync and the procedure worked at first try
i checked remote radio transmission and is fully working (with a good strenght for an ebay remote), on all the 3 buttons
i've found 0 errors with all the SW i've used (inpa,DIS,P.a.Soft), BUT in PaSoft FBZV is " not found", (honestly I don't remember if this had ever been shown as present or if this is precisely the problem)
i'ts a Vert so the FZV is into the rear view mirror (so not the common touring problem).

did hours of "search" on any forum but i couldn't find anything.
key/remote is fully functional so the problem is somewhere else

has any one already experienced this kind of problem??

thanks in advance

Last edited by TheRiddle; 01-16-2020 at 12:09 PM.
TheRiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #2
bonestockE36

My Ride: 2002 330i auto
I had an incident the other day where after a short drive, the remote wouldn't unlock. I could hear a relay or maybe the locks themselves and the lights flashed. The trunk did open. In fact, I saw the lock move a bit, but not enough to open. After a 45 minute drive, no problems and hasn't shown up since. I suspected a weak battery in the car as it is old, but cranks and starts with no trouble and was parked for only one day. We'll have a cold night tonight so I'll see if anything happens tomorrow.
bonestockE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

SOLVED !!!

Many thanks to Scottjoh who helped me by advising me to test the FZV module in the mirror (that was faulty)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #4
nylpug

My Ride: 325i (M56), 330ivert
Year: 2003
can you explain how to test the FZV for the convertible? I have a similar problem with my remote.
nylpug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:31 PM   #5
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Remote not working (but syncs)

With any FZV receiver (coupe, sedan, wagon or convertible) you can probe the FZV wire to the general module (connector X253 pin 49) with an oscilloscope and press the button on a known good remote. You should see a waveform on the scope that looks like this (scope is set to 1 Volt/div vertical and time base set to 50mS/div) https://www.bmwgm5.com/Images/FZV/FZV_Signal_1.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by scottjoh; 01-17-2020 at 10:36 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
wfx32

My Ride: AWD
Model: 330XI 08/2004
Transmission: auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
With any FZV receiver (coupe, sedan, wagon or convertible) you can probe the FZV wire to the general module (connector X253 pin 49) with an oscilloscope and press the button on a known good remote. You should see a waveform on the scope that looks like this (scope is set to 1 Volt/div vertical and time base set to 50mS/div) https://www.bmwgm5.com/Images/FZV/FZV_Signal_1.jpg
scott, or anyone else, what do you recommend for a starter pc/usb oscilloscope?
wfx32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #7
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

Update (since it's becoming strage)

After the FZV swap i recovered the remote function but seemed like i've lost some comfort features:
Via remote I can lock/unlock the car, i can deactivate the ultrasonic sensors I can also auto roll down driver's window for easy entry and turn interior lights on when locked but i CAN'T comfort open/close window/top, can't fold mirrors nor engage panic mode on the alarm.
Via key into the door lock,all the available and previously coded features are working.

2 days ago i parked the car, locked it, clicked twice to disengage the interior sensor and while i was walking away i've heard the Bzzzzzzz of mirrors folding, THIS ONLY HAPPENED ONCE AND NOT BY KEEPING THE REMOTE BUTTON PRESSED AS USUAL

I checked with NCS and PaSoft if something had "uncoded" on the remote part, but not, every single thing was coded as usual for all the 4 keys stored (PaSoft keeps showing an obscured/unavailable comfort fold/heting/memory on mirror's selection box)

under expert's advice (not Scott) i tried the reset way by leaving the battery disconnected overnight, and this morning after reconnection, to re sync the key.
sync procedure went ok at 1st try but....

... I lost the remote function exactly as before the FZV swap...